“Very friendly”

Ranked #66 of 108 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Singapore, Singapore
“Very friendly”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here with my Grandmother in 2009. At first when we arrived we did not like the hotel at all. I called the agent to see if we could go elsewhere, but there was nowhere available at a good price at short notice. However at that time I didn't realise it was only three stars. Looking back it was very good for a three star hotel.

Our room was quite small and the next door rooms were very noisy. Embarrassingly so! Quite funny in a way, but it became less funny as the days went by and the noises continues from all around us. The market is up very early - so you don't get much sleep.

The rooftop pool was nice and shaded. You could see the mountain and it was very pleasant. We both spent a lot of time here when we were at the hotel. Often, we were not here during the day or night and found it great for its location.

The staff were very friendly. They offered good advice and the breakfasts were good.

I loved the location. It was lovely walking around the markets and we were able to get some bargains. It was perfect from traveling from.

I would definitely advise getting a taxi to and from the the bay though. We were mugged (attempted) in broad daylight. When we got back to the hotel, we told them about the ordeal. They said that many 'muggers' work in a duo as they did with us. We were approached by a very tall man with a knife and told to hand everything over. We were then 'rescued' by another man who came in between the 'mugger' and ourselves. We thought the man was very brave and escorted us to a nearby hotel. We gave the man who 'rescued' us money. We were told it happens and that we should be careful. Although it was two men in a scheme, I can assure you that it did not make us any less scared. We were just so grateful to be alive.

The reason why I am giving this hotel such a high rating is because of its friendly service. They were very helpful and we felt very safe there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank expressiveelf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Staff are very courteous and caring. Linda was actually explaining to the taxi driver where to take the foreign guests and also fixed the price with the taxi. I was impressed. The check in was a bit slow but the room was very clean and complimentary bottles of water were welcome. The evening wine and cheese is an excellent offering. The General Manager, Mr Clinton Thom, is very accessible and really concerned with the highest levels of hospitality. The bathrooms are as shown elsewhere, small - but clean. The shower is excellent. The location is excellent with the flea market and restaurants all within minutes away. My wife says that the ambience was impressive. My wife and I will definitely stay there again

Room Tip: Higher floors are preferred to avoid the noise of the people setting up and removing the stalls
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed in the hotel on for two days but I believe I had enough time to properly appreciate it. The main attraction of the hotel is its location. It is right in the centre of Cape Town and at the front is an open market that should be very interesting for tourists. Most rooms, it seems, have a very good view of the city and certainly the one I had at the eighth floor looked towards the square and was very good. The rooms themselves are very neat and as is the case in many South African hotels the attention to detail is superb. For about 100 USD a day it could actually be considered a bargain. The only comment I have about my room was that it was an awkward corner where the doors of two rooms are next to each other and if you had busy visitors, coming in and out frequently you are sure to be disturbed.

As to the restaurant the breakfast is simply fabulous. Of the innumerable options you are given I haven't seen one thing that I could say was bad. However I am not sure about the food at other times. The fish I ordered for dinner came raw and the chef didn't seem to be concerned too much about it. My advice, eat out for dinner and lunch. One final thing. The hotel gives free Internet coupons but at least in my room it didn't seem to work. So their generosity in that regard didn't mean much. Overall however a nice place and I would certainly stay there again. ,

Room Tip: Ask not to be given those adjoining rooms in the corners.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Novigrad, Croatia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

On Monday 25.02.2013 I arrived with my friend to Inn On The Square Hotel.I did a booking four months in advance via Booking.com and everything was confirmed and even reconfirmed.At check-in I was told they have any room for us as the floor in our room is wet and all the other rooms are occupied,so that's why we need to go to their "sister" Hotel On St.Georges.For many reasons I refused it,so we went for one night to the next door,the Tudor Hotel,where I spent one week last year.The next day,on 26.02.2013 we moved back to Inn on the Square,where the room(with dried up floor) should be ready for us.We got the room which was in cleaning process,so the floor was wet on some places all the time!!!We checked out of this hotel on 03.03.2013 and payed expenses for 5 nights with cash at the reception.When arriving home I was shocked by another one credit card charging from their "sister hotel",although I have not been there at all!!! 22.02.2013 HOTEL ON ST GEORGES 5.500,00 ZAR.The answer from the hotel was: "I would like to apologise for the miscommunication between Inn on the Square and Hotel on St Georges regarding your reservation. Upon investigation I ascertained that we did in fact charge your credit card in error. In order to action the refund to you we request that you complete the attached Refund Request Form and resend it back to me".After several exchanged e-mails the refund was sent back to my credit card.However,I experienced a big inconvenience with this hotel,spent a lot of time and nerves and unfortunately didn't ask for any compensation.But soon I will be there again,hopefully for getting some better treatment!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andreja_8
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This place was great for tourist not having a car. We could walk to almost everything. From restaurants to shopping. The pool isn't really a pool as it was small but good for kids. We arrived early an they did not have our reso's since we booked a day before and the room wasn't ready but they put our luggage away for us so we could walk around and grab a bite. The breakfast was a buffet breakfast, which was decent but the croissants were so buttery good. The rooms were small and without fridge or microwave. And mornings can be a little loud when the market place sets up at dawn but keeping windows closed and ac on helps with the noise. The staff was pleasant too.
It was a good stay and we enjoyed looking at the things in the market place.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Isacameth
Granite Bay
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel faces Green Market Square where daily a crafts market sets up (you should bargain) It is centrally located for transportation. Rooms are simple but clean and there is free wii-fi and restaurant with outdoor terrace facing Green Market Square. We would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We spent 5 nights staying here and overall we were satisfied with the hotel. It was neither fantastic nor disastrous. As we were on our honeymoon we were 'upgraded' to a family room which included a double bed and two single beds! Rather odd considering there was just the two of us!! The rooms were well equipped, however I did have to call reception and request an iron and ironing board be brought up to the room but that no great drama. The bathroom was a good size however the shower door leaked water all over the floor every time we used it. I did mention it to reception and I believe they tried to repair it however it did continue to leak.

On the top floor (8th) there is a very small and narrow 'heated' swimming pool and deck which fits around 8 sun loungers. The pool is certainly not heated, it is ice cold! There is also a sauna which I cannot comment on as we didn't use it.

Breakfast is good, certainly nothing to shout about. It is buffet style and there is a good range of pastries, breads, fruits, yoghurts and hot food. The staff are on-hand to top your tea and coffee up and they are very polite and courteous.

We looked to use the laundry service but it was incredibly expensive. I believe it was betwen 30-50R to launder a t-shirt. We ended up using another hotel's laundry service which was considerably cheaper.

The WIFI is a bit of a disaster at the hotel. For the first day it was out of order and after they got it working, they provided us with a voucher (lasts 24hrs) whereby you input a log-in code and password. Once logged in it works ok albeit a little slow but every time you log off you have to input the codes to use it again. It's a faff to use.

The hotel is located off Long Street and every day there is a market with a variety of stalls that sell everything from clothing to drums. It's very pleasant to stroll around but watch out for the street beggars. They will hound you for money but my attitude was to apologise and say I had no money on me. I was polite and then ignored their pleas.

A taxi from the hotel to the waterfront takes about 8 minutes and it costs between 40-50R. The big red sight-seeing bus has a stop just around the corner in Burg St where you can buy tickets and jump on the bus. It is a 1 min walk from the hotel.

Overall this was a perfectly adequate hotel to stay at. It was a good base for us as we were out every day sight-seeing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the market square as it gets very noisy every morning when...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple