We have just returned from a 24 night stay at 114 Loader St, on the Piazza in De Waterkant Village. The property was managed by Village and Life, though we booked through a Travel Agent. We had booked a "classic" property for 2 adult couples and on arrival found that we had been upgraded to a "luxury" apartment with 2 bedrooms, one bathroom and a large living area with kitchen, dining and lounge areas. There was also a small terrace at the front of the ground floor property and a communal lawn area at the rear.
The main bedroom was spacious with a double bed, 2 double wardrobes, a hairdryer, wall mounted air con/heater and a TV. The 2nd bedroom had 2 single beds, a double wardrobe and a hairdryer but there was barely room to move round the bed or open the wardrobe doors.
The beds however, were extremely comfortable and the bed linen was changed regularly.
The large bathroom had both bath and large shower and there was a good supply of hot water with towels changed regularly or on request.
The lounge was comfortable with TV and video player and was combined with a dining table and 6 chairs. The kitchen had lots of cupboards, a fridge freezer, microwave, oven and hob and best of all - given our length of stay - a washing machine
I would not describe the apartment as "luxury" but it certainly worked well for us on this holiday and had everything we could have needed. It was the winter period in Capetown and there was a considerable draught from doors and windows when the weather was wet and windy - but we had 3 moveable electric radiators and a further wall mounted air con/heater in the lounge area so we were never cold.
There was some noise from apartments above/next door to us and from the garage doors at the rear, early in a morning - but nothing that would be a real nuisance
The location was fantastic with lots of bars and restaurants - and only 1.5km from the V&A Waterfront (once we found the shortcut) and about the same from the City Centre. If we used a taxi after dark, it cost only 40 rands to the Waterfront. The area itself is very picturesque and constantly patrolled so we felt very safe. The Spar supermarket had everything we needed for self catering with a wide range of fresh food
Car hire was surprisingly cheap - a 1.6 Toyota Corolla cost 667 rand for a 2 day hire, including all insurances from Avis in the village and petrol is much cheaper than here!
The Village and Life staff were always helpful and any minor maintenance issues were sorted within hours
All in all, we had a marvellous time and really enjoyed staying at this location - though the steepness of the access roads was a little challenging at times!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Colourful De Waterkant Village is a unique European influenced village of semi-detached quaint cottages and cobbled streets preserved from the 1760’s. Cradled between the city and the V&A Waterfront, De Waterkant Village is avant-garde, a cultural urban refuge highlighted by the abundance of restaurants, art galleries, clubs, salsa clubs, tapas bars and Parisian inspired café’s. Drawing comparisons from cultural and artistic villages from all over the world, De Waterkant embraces individuality and theatricality, echoed in the architecture and vibrancy of its residents and visitors. Walking on the beautiful sidewalks, one cannot help but be caught up in its spell, cast by the beauty of the Dutch influenced architecture, with flower boxes under the windows, sprawling balconies and rooftop decks providing exquisite views and majestic old trees that line the streets, filtering the sun selectively through their branches. This is a place that will tempt you into its fold and dare you to indulge and delight in life’s finer pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your De Waterkant Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Waterkant Village Hotel Cape Town Central
- De Waterkant Village Cape Town, South Africa