“Enjoyed the stay”
Review of Capetonian Hotel

Capetonian Hotel
Ranked #105 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed on the 10th floor of this hotel. The room was quite big and confortable. The staff was helpful. The hotel had a large & fantastic buffet breakfast spread. The best part is that the hotel provides a free shuttle to V & A Waterfront every hour.

We stayed for 3 nights & really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank vaibh

An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed February 13, 2009

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed February 10, 2009

First room we were given was on the 4th floor next to an air conditioning machine on the flat roof outside!! This made the windows (which cannot be opened) vibrate. In addition to the vibration, we were also treated to a constant noise coming from the machine.
When we asked to change rooms we were told there was none available. When we persisted with our request and refused to accept any of their excuses, miraculously a room on the 9th floor became available.
Although the room was still dark and shabby, at least it was quiet.
Free shuttle to the waterfront was good. However it took fellow guests to inform us about this service, obviously the hotel prefered to keep this as a secret.
Breakfast - where do we start!! The whole breakfast area looked shabby and uninviting. We found our own table and then made our way to the buffet. Various indefinable items of hot food were unlabeled and looked as if they had been sitting there for quite some time. Unfortunately cold food was no alternative as the cold options consisted of 1 type of pastry, toast and Brie cheese and some other mix where we did not have an idea what it could be. The good news is judging by the amount of staff that were helping themselves to the buffet, at least some people enjoyed it!
To top it all, the staff were constantly shouting to each other across the dining room which was really annoying and which was repeated on numerous occasions.
Overall we definately cannot believe that this hotel is rated as a 4 star hotel. It is a maximum 2 star.
If you read our review and anything we described appeals to you, then book early to avoid disappointment. All others we recommend you try another establishment.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The best part about the Capetonian is its Location.Walking distance from the Victoria and Albert water front The Capetonian has excellent rooms and friendly staff.

We were greeted by a smart Parrot at the reception ( refrain from touching him though !!)

All in all capetonian has it all, good location , friendly staff and a good buffet spread !Value for money surely !

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank anita7871
Reviewed June 26, 2008

This hotel was advertised as a 4 star hotel. The hotel car park proudly puts up 4 stars to signify this as well. Be prepared that this is definitely not a 4 star hotel. I stayed at a 3 star hotel in Jo'burg and it was of a much higher standard than this one.

The check-in process was fine. Quite efficient from my experience. However, the service received after that was a little disappointing. I returned to the reception in the afternoon to find no one standing at the desk. I could hear a lot of talk and laughter coming from the back office. I called out for someone to come through, but obviously I was not heard as the talk and laughter continued. I was standing there calling out for 5 minutes, before another lady came and yelled out even louder whilst she was banging loudly on the desk. Apparently this is what it takes to get their attention.

The hotel does provide basic facilities, like a pool, gym, restaurant, business centre and travel agency services. I didn't see the pool, as it was too cold. The gym was very small, with minimalistic equipment at hand. Luckily there wasn't anyone there, so I didn't have to queue up to use the 1 piece of gym equipment. The good thing is that it's available for use 24 hours a day. The internet is available at a cheap rate. But when the connection is so slow that it takes you 5 minutes to load a page, then this doesn't work out to be quite so cheap. I had issues with the internet on the 2 occasions that I could be bothered to use it. The restaurant is ok. I had breakfast there and the food wasn't anything to get excited about. I would've expected the food to look at lot better since I had been there early in the morning when you assume the food is fresh from the kitchen.

The rooms themselves are best described as sufficient. The space you get is adequate. The room does look a little dated, including the bathroom. I wasn't impressed to find the towels in the bathroom were a bit tattered and frayed. The room doesn't come with an in-room safe as well. So you may need to lock up your bags if you want piece of mind. The important thing is that the room was relatively clean.

The hotel's location is quite good. It's a 10 minute walk to the centre of town. The hotel also offers a free shuttle every hour to V&A Waterfront for anyone interested in shopping or catching a ferry to Robben Island. I felt quite safe and secure in the location during the day. So no problems there.

Overall, I would only recommend this hotel if you get an outstanding rate. I booked a room with breakfast for a little over 350SAR. I wasn't spending much time there and just needed somewhere to crash for the night. Just don't expect too much in terms of service or quality in detail that you would find in a true 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank TravellingCarlito
Reviewed February 16, 2008

We had a great time at the Capetonian Hotel. The rooms are excellent and the service awesome ! The hotel has a fabulous breakfast. It is in a prime location in Cape Town Hub.
We strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2008

My 19 year old son and I went on a school trip to South Africa with around 25 teenagers and 14 adults for 2 weeks in September 2007. We stayed at Sun City outside Johannesburg and the Beach Hotel in Durban.

At the end of the trip, a few of us took an extension to Cape Town, which was a wonderful city. We stayed at the Capetonian was swish hotel with great rooms and helpful staff. It was pretty well located, with a free shuttle bus to the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, which is full of shops and restaurants (with some nice outdoor dining too), as well as being the dock for departures to Robben Island. Again, the hotel had a large buffet breakfast but the dining room could get pretty full at breakfast time. The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable, with a respectable, though compact, bathroom.

Look out for the macaw in the foyer.

Cape Town was fabulous, and I wish we had spent more time there too. The Capetonian was a modern upmarket hotel, and I’d recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2007