“Good choice. Trust me!!”
Review of Cape Town Lodge

Cape Town Lodge
Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Athens, Greece
“Good choice. Trust me!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed 6 nights to Cape Town Lodge being to Cape Town for a congress. The room – not a big size - was clean, with a good size bathroom, even if without views of Table Mountain. Acceptable breakfast with good quality fruit & food. The Butchers steak restaurant is a top class restaurant that I definitely recommend. The staff was always polite and helpful.
The Cape Town Lodge provides good value for money in a central Cape Town position. The position is good for Long Street, the red & blue bus route. We walked to the Convention Center in less than half an hour, to V&A in approx 40 min, 10 min to Green Market, safe during the day.
My only complaint is about the internet connection: expensive with poor signal.
I would recommend this as a base for Cape Town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Although I was thinking about an oceam view hotel when i was planning for my 2 months bussiness trip to cape town but I knew I made the right decision from the timw I entered the hotel lobby, staff are very friendly. I stayed in a loft apartment in the 9th floor for 2 months and I really enjoyed my stay a lot.
Very close to all cape town attractions, just 5 min walk to long street, about 3 km to Table Mountain and about 2 km to Waterfront.
Breakfast buffet was very nice but for a long stay you will get bored. The hotel manager Cindy was checking if I have any concerns or complains almost on a daily basis and all duty managers were very helpful.
I knew their steak restaurants is one of the best in Cape Town althoug I have not tried because it was not Halaal meat.
My apartment was well organized with a small kitchen (no cooking allowed), fridge, microwave and the bathroom is very nice.
The bedroom was very nice and the living area was great with 42' LCD TV and a very comfortable sofa, also I had a panormaic view of Table Mountain and long street.
Just avoid staying close to the parking lifts as lot of noise comes from it, also the laundry prices are very expensive.
The Gym in the 3rd floor is well equiped with you want and both Gym and rooms are safe since you use the room safe!
Do no expect swimming pool, it's just 2*3 tube, parking costs 60 ZAR/nt and taxi from airport to hotel costs about 240 ZAR
Of course will go back again and I do recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Ahmed_Maarouf
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Hotel is perfectly acceptable for business travel or for a short holiday stay.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
JHB
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The location is great & breakfasts fairly good (except for the pastries - which are terrible), but as a 4* is compares poorly – it’s more suitable as a 2* or 3*.

Room: The room was about 28m2 - cheap motels are often larger. Almost no cupboards. Bathroom was smoky. The bed – though basic - was comfortable, but this isn’t a room you’d do anything in but sleep. Rooms are also poorly sound-proofed so you may wake up from your neighbours.

Service - shocking: if you forward a complaint to management you expect them to get back to you

Parking: You'll need to pay R60 per day (which isn't forthcoming until you get there or have already paid). Worse it it's not all accessible - you have to walk down an outside ramp in the rain.

Pool: Closed...

Generally: A poor renovation with slow lifts. I’d recommend a backpackers over this.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nomnolence
oudtshoorn
Reviewed July 4, 2010

When I made booking, Ive asked for a room like we stayed before or similar, called reception to make sure all is fine, got something out of 80tis, long and smelly..... I was actually shocked that rooms like this still exist. I was advertising this hotel to everyone, now Im scared, if theyd get the same smelly long old room. We do come to CT often and liked the hotel, now I'm scared.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I liked the smoker friendly bar, the size of the room and the location of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed for 5 nights at the Cape Town Lodge hotel after being stranded in South Africa due to the volcano. We found this hotel on booking.com with a very reasonable R550 per night. On arrival we were very impressed with the reception area and the reception staff. Check in was very organised and our room was lovely with a good size bathroom. We were in 3 different rooms during our stay and the room size did vary quite a bit. There is an internet room, roof pool (quite small and not for swimming in) and a small sunbathing area but it only got the sun from 12-5pm and there is a good gym. For breakfast there is a good selection of fresh fruit, pasteries, cooked breakfast and cold meats. There is also a pianist who plays during breakfast.

The Famous Butchers Grill restaurant in the hotel was top class. They are the best steaks that me and my boyfriend have every had and very reasonably priced R950 for a very generous 250g steak which comes with lovely vegetables and a choice of potatoes. You can choose what steak you would like from the viewing station. You can also get a 350g steak for R1050 and a 450g steak for R1200. We ate here most nights as it was soo good and the staff are very friendly and helpful. There is also an artist on every night singing while you eat.

I would definately recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again. It is about a 20 minute walk to the V&A although at night we did get a taxi which was about R700. Also as we were booking the hotel on a daily basis due to the volcano the duty manager was very good and was willing to negotiate the rate with us which we were very impressed with.

Lorraine & Ashley

Hippo Boutique Hotel
Hippo Boutique Hotel
#51 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Foreshore
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town F...
#49 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Cape Town Ci...
#48 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Hotel on St Georges
Hotel on St Georges
#72 of 109 in Cape Town Central
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside

Been to Cape Town Lodge? Share your experiences!