2,457 results
All reviewsexecutive clubconvention centerexecutive floortop floorfree shuttleheavenly bedtable mountainjuice barevery half hourindoor poolheated floorsattending a conferenceguest servicestravel deskbreakfast buffetexcellent hotelshuttle service
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The Westin Grand is the perfect business hotel to stay at when in Cape Town. Professional service, speedy internet access and perfectly located to the business district.

The friendly and helpful staff made my stay even more pleasant. Well Done!!!!! , to staff and management.

I would recommend this hotel to any business traveler.

I will certainly be back in Feb 2011

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jerrardcloete
Reviewed October 28, 2010

My wife and I spent a fantastic time at the Westin in Cape Town, where we spent our anniversary.

This hotel has it all: great facilities, friendly staff, and it's close to the amazing attractions at Cape Town's Waterfront.

We will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meric54
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Dear Meric54

Thank you for the potive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape town and we hope to see you again very soon for you rnext stay in Cape Town!

Sincerely

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Do NOT Stay Here Unless You Have a Police Escort With You
The Cape Town Westin is a beautiful hotel on the surface. The food, room, spa area, and views are very nice. However, Cape Town and this hotel in particular are really experiencing criminal activity and the hotel team is inept in handling this. During my week long stay in Cape Town someone came into my room dug down into a zippered pocket of my briefcase and stole some cash. The hotel seems very secure with key entry required to get on the floor and again to get into the room. My situation was such that the only person who could have possibly taken this money had to have a full entry key. I was amazed that this happened at a property that claims this level of standard. However, the reaction to me was very weak. A staff manager did come to my room with security after being asked twice and missing his first appointment to do so. I was made to feel that I had done something wrong, though obviously one of their staff people had intentionally taken money from me as a guest. I was told continually through the week that someone would get back to me about the situation. As you can imagine, no one ever did. EVERY contact I had on this situation I had to initiate myself. Finally, after pressuring the day managers for two straight days the manager gradually met with me at my check out when I was now pushing to get to the airport. I asked for some kind of compensation for the situation. The manager offered to credit me with the amount of Starwood points for the money I had lost, which was negligible. Nothing was done to reimburse the monies, make my stay more comfortable, offer of a free night, etc. etc. There were a dozen things that could have been done that would have helped me as guest to have felt better about this situation, but none were offered except after I pushed on this and then it was a very negligible. Again, I was made to feel like the guilty party. Over the week I spent several hours trying to chase down staff and of course was without the cash as well. More importantly I was without the safe feeling a guest should have when staying in a hotel that costs this much. Overall, I spent several thousand dollars at this property and was still make to feel second class and a bother. I realize that the hotel cannot control every staff person’s honesty, but they can respond to their guests in a way that speaks of appreciation and desire to make some kind of amends.
This hotel sits in the most convenient spot to the Convention Center so I am sure it feels that it does not need to be too great on customer service because no matter what they do they will still be in demand. This is the attitude I received from the manager when he finally met with me five days after the incident.
Special Note for Meeting Plannners: I plan meetings around the world consistently, my advice would be that you not book a meeting in Cape Town until they clean up their act and that you definitely do not use this hotel until the staff comes to a better understanding of customer satisfaction and how to handle criminal situations.
During the week-long conference it was obvious that Americans had been targeted for crime in Cape Town. I had several friends who encountered this. One was robbed at knife point, another one had someone steal his ATM number and steal over $2,500.00 from his account, etc. The street beggars are numerous in Cape Town and get right to the hotel door. One of the duty managers shared with me during one of my meetings that I had to press for with him that the hotel had encountered numerous problems with crime in both their sleeping rooms and around the property during the week we were there.
Meeting in Cape Town is simply not worth the danger! Stay away if at all possible.
If you are American or western I would not recommend you stay at this property or in central Cape Town at all at this time. For a city so beautiful the crime rate was perhaps the highest in the world. STAW AWAY if at all possible and if you go take a guard with you and use every possible precaution. I am sad about this because the areas around Cape Town are so nice, but it is not nice to be worried about every step or move you make that it could be your last or could cost you significantly.
Hope this helps!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank wilsoncog
Reviewed October 20, 2010

On arrival, we were greeted by the Reception staff. Our flight from Johannesburg had been delayed and the hotel said the would be upgrading us! We had booked an Exec Room (breakfast not inc) however we were upgraded to the highest floor with access to the rather swish restaurant. Breakfast was now included and WOW!!! What a breakfast it was! Everything and anything was available for you & if they didn't have it, they'd get it for you! Nothing was too much trouble for this hotel. They even supply a free shuttle bus to take their guests to the V&A Waterfront every 15 minutes. This is a very upmarket business hotel and I was very happy staying there. A wonderful welcome each time you walked in to the hotel. The most courteous staff I have ever come across. Well Done Westin Grand!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheUsualSuspect
The_Westin_Grand, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2010

Dear 'the usual suspect'

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel.
We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

sincerely
COO/General Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Having been to Capetown twice, we stayed here both times. The location is what secures it. Overall, I'm happy with staying at this Westin.

Location: This hotel has a great location for touring or business. It's at one end of Long Street, so you can either walk 15 minutes to the center of town or take a quick taxi. The hotel has a free shuttle to the Wharf, if you don't mind sticking to their schedule. It's next to the Convention Center, which is where the 'hop-on, hop-off' City Tour Bus picks up if you want to get out to the Gardens or see other parts of Capetown. They aired the World Cup Finals match in the Convention Center next door, so it was the perfect location for us.

Lobby: spacious and very nice. Both times we visited during their winter season and the lobby always had hot apple cider awaiting you, after being out in the cold all day. They've really kept up the maintenance, perhaps in preparation of World Cup.

Rooms: We are SPG members, so received very nice rooms both times. I can't speak for the other floors, but ours were always extremely clean. It's nothing fancy-- what you expect from a Westin. There is complimentary tea, coffee, tea cookies in the room. Each TV has cable, so enough channels to watch.

Spa: I think there is a fee to use their pool/gym, if you don't book a spa appointment. I really wish they made this available to all their guests. The gym is very small (just a room with a few treadmills and weights, but it works for a business stop), but the pool area is very nice. I really wished I could've used this after a day out sight-seeing. It has low-lighting, is very calming, quiet and has the most incredible city view at night. Incredible. Not for kids.

Breakfast: there is a downstairs breakfast area, which I think you can add or include with your room stay. The breakfast is great and worth the price. Last time we stayed here, we ate there every morning. It is a lively environment, lots of chatter. Family friendly.

This time, we were able to use the SPG Club Lounge breakfast area on the penthouse floor of the hotel. Stunning views of Table Mountain, City and Stadium. Very quiet, which is how I prefer to start my mornings. The only downside is that most of the clientele in this penthouse area were white, business men. So the atmosphere was very serious, pretentious and lacked any joy. I earned my SPG status through business travel too, but since a) I'm female b) Asian c) look 10 years younger when I'm not in a suit and d) was here on vacation, I felt like we were treated with less respect (from the guests & host station). My complaint is really towards the host station-- as they weren't very welcoming and seemed to exude an embarrassment as they seated us. Perhaps they thought we looked like kids compared to the old men there. Each morning we stepped in, they almost seemed ready to say 'are you on the wrong floor'? Mind you, we stayed 4 nights, so were there probably longer than any of those businessmen. We could've dressed 'up' for breakfast, but I felt like I paid my money and should be able to wear what we wanted on vacation. We were in jeans, sneakers & fleeces-- nothing ripped, ragged-- everything neat, but honestly, who cares if we weren't? There was a group of white men (probably working for a tech company), who were also in jeans, sneakers, but were treated much more nicely than we were. We were quiet, polite and just enjoying the sunrise over the city. I refused to go downstairs to feel more 'comfortable'. It really almost destroyed my peaceful morning breakfast. However, the waitstaff, we really loved. We got to know them over the 4 days and I think they appreciated being able to smile, laugh in the morning, rather than cater to serious businessmen.

Wi-Fi: One of the few Starwood hotels that still has free wi-fi! I LOVED that and wished each Starwood would stop charging ridiculous wifi amounts. There was a free business center (computers/printer) located in that same penthouse club lounge, breakfast area. There was one point where I needed to get online and I received the same type of 'are you on the wrong floor' look when I walked in. Whereas, if a white businessman had asked a question, they would've received service immediately.

Concierge Service: Was helpful. We needed a place that would do our large load of laundry (beyond the expensive Westin rates) and the kids behind the desk were able to find us a place that picked up & dropped back to the hotel at a good rate. They are young, so a bit novice, but willing enough to try to help. Of course, they also can make good restaurant reservations & recommendations.

Front Desk: We checked-in/out at late/early hours, so not many people were waiting for help. Check-in was smooth, but check-out was VERY slow. There were multiple staff working, but everyone was behind the office door and only 1 person behind the counter. That individual wasn't resourceful enough to open the office door and ask for back-up. We almost missed our flight because of checkout. But I think this is an isolated incident, as most of the time Front Desk was always very courteous and responsive.

Transport: The valet guys will get you a taxi, but beware of car hires-- friends recommending other friends-- one guy wanted to get us a car hire, but the guy quoted us a price, higher than if we got it on our own. Intercab is a good taxi company. We also booked our taxis to/from CPT airport from Sean Casey (www.4taxi.co.za) which worked out well. He subcontracted out to other guys, but they were always on time, fair rate and reliable. The 'hop-on, hop-off' bus is a great way to tour Capetown. If you need to get to Capepoint, rent a car. Driving is EASY.

Overall, nice experience. If it gets too much more 'corporate' or 'convention' hotel-like (like the Westin Bonaventure in LA), or starts charging for Wi-Fi, I may have to switch to another Capetown hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010

Dear 'fly787'

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Westin Cape Town.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us, and have gone through your feedback on each department in detail. I have particularly noted your comments with regards to your impression of the staff attitude in the Westin Executive club and have passed these on to my Department Heads for action.

We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cape Town.

sincerely