Lets start with the positives:
Proximity to Cape Town city centre, Convention Centre and V & A Waterfront - good. Large glass hotel - rooms in hot weather get very hot and air con in our room was not strong but there is a small window to open.
Public areas of hotel are clean & well maintained. Front of house staff are very good - reception is excellent and Concierge and Valet Parking staff are fantastic. Food and Beverege is very good with excellent breakfasts. Some breakfast staff may need a little extra training but the dining Manager was doing his best to chivvy one particular lady who may have been better suited to another area of the hotel.
Great shuttle service to the V & A Waterfront, very useful car hire office in the hotel. Duty Managers attended to issues quickly and I particulary thank Robin Scott and Christian Thomson for their professional handling of issues brought to their attention.
Rooms are average size with good views of either the docks or mountain.
Negatives: Guests should not have to wait mor than one and a half hours to check into the rooms after the advertised check-in time - this is unacceptable. Management must address this problem and either ensure that housekeeping is doing their job properly or provide more support to housekeeping for additional staff, Alternatively guests MUST vacate their rooms by the advertised checkout time to facilitate incoming guests. This problem was experienced by several guests in our party.
Guests should not find refuse from the previous guests in the 'newly cleaned' rooms - unacceptable.
Guests expect the bed linnen to fit the bedding configurations - our duvet was short on each side of the width of the bed by 10 inches on each side - it looked like a single bed duvet used for a double bed. This is not expected at a five star hotel.
Guest minibar refrigerator - be aware that this rfrigerator is fitted with a sensor - each time you take out an item from the refrigerator the sesor activates a charge to your account. Esstentially you can't even lift the bottle of wine to see what it is without it activating a charge to your account regardless of whether you consume that item or not. This is a ridiculous system.
Guests have every right to expect a useable refrigerator when paying the prices at an international five star hotel. Guests should not be compelled to pay for each opening of the refrigerator door particularly if they wish to place their bottle of water or soft drink or diabeties medication into the refrigerator. Management should consider the agravation this causes guests versus the financial benefit or possible loss of patronage.
Overall, the hotel was OK by international business standard but it definitely did not measure to 5star. Rooms were tired and definitely in need of a very good clean and spruce up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in one of the most popular destinations in the world, at the gateway to the historic V&A Waterfront, The Westin Grand Cape Town Arabella Quays is only minutes away from excellent shopping, vibrant city night life, historical monuments and museums, iconic Table Mountain, and the pristine beaches of Clifton and Camps Bay. The hotel offers unlimited complimentary shuttle transfers to the V&A Waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Westin Cape Town
- Cape Town Westin
- The Westin Cape Town South Africa