“Love, love, love Westin!”

The Westin Cape Town
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
San Francisco, California
“Love, love, love Westin!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Ok, the title of my review says it all. We stayed at Executive floor, had a great room with a big window and view of the waterfront. For breakfast we used the Executive Lounde on the top floor, that has AMAZING views of the Table Mountain and the waterfront. Breakfast in delicious, though hot orders ( e.g fried eggs) take a long, long time. I had to ask the waiter every day to please deliver it faster, as we'd be late for the tours. Complimentary canapes during happy hour every day are also very nice, specially when you come back to hotel after all day of sightseeing tired, hungry, and willing to bite something quick, before taking shower and heading out for a dinner. I did a manicure in their spa, which was the most lousy, while the most expensive manicure I did in my life, so I wouldn't recommend it. As of location, it's right around the hop-on hop-ff bus stop if you plan on it, and a short free hotel shuttle ride to the Waterfront. We also walked to the African Dance theater ( 10 min walk), and to Fork restaurant ( attention - DO NOT walk around Cape Town at night. During the day is fine, but full of beggars on every corner). Taxis are very cheap in Cape Town, use it always after dark, just don't try to flag it on the street, ask a hotel or a restaurant host to call on for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ukraniana
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Ukraniana

Thank you for your positive feedback of our hotel. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town.

I reviewed your comments with regards to the service of your breakfast orders as well as your experience in our Arabella Spa and have passed on the feedback to the relevant Heads of Departments for action and review.

Signature Heavenly® Programs
Guests enjoy an amazingly restful night’s sleep, which revitalizes the body and brain. The world-renowned Westin Heavenly Bed features lush sheets, down cushioning and our patented pillow-top mattress, which cradles and contours to the body for complete comfort. Another industry first, the Heavenly Bath creates an invigorating spa-like experience, enhanced with our Heavenly Shower® Heavenly® Robe and exclusive White Tea Aloe bath amenities.

We do hope to welcome you again when next your travels take you to South Africa.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Looe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here because of a conference in the hotel. The room was comfortable and quite contemporary (or maybe contemporary a few years ago). Fantastic window allowing sufficient light in to the room (why are almost all hotel rooms too dark - probably best not to dwell on that) but odd shaped lounger that was just not quite comfortable and probably selected too much for looks and not enough for comfort.
I checked in early (for which, thank you Westin) following an overnight from the UK. While I was unpacking and preparing for the conference, I had about four visits from hotel staff, to check the mini-bar (which seems odd as I had just arrived) to fix the shower (wasn't aware of a problem), to the extent that I was beginning to wonder if there was some ulterior motive. I made sure I used the room safe whenever I was out of the room as the level of "hotel" traffic seemed too high.
A nice feature is the free shuttle throughout the day and evening to the V&A waterfront where there are shops, restaurants and a reasonable atmosphere - even in the middle of winter (though the weather was remarkably nice when I was there, not sure how it might be in the rain). Problem was that the shuttle only seated seven and on a couple of occasions, was unable to accommodate all who were waiting. I'm informed this is a temporary problem as the normally used vehicle was out with a problem with the exhaust pipe - but if you want to go to the waterfront, it's worth checking capacity and when might be a quiet time in terms of passenger demand.
Not wishing to compete for limited seats, on my third night I ended up walking to Greenmarket Square, which had been recommended to me. Probably my own fault as I didn't specify I was going out at 9pm when I asked, but don't recommend this for a night-time visit. All the stalls shut, restaurants mostly empty and only pan-handlers on the street trying to get me to visit a strip-club and/or buy them food. Didn't hang around and didn't enjoy the walk too much - purposeful stride, looking as big and mean as possible, avoiding eye contact with the few on the street got me back to the hotel without further incident. Not generally a fan of eating in hotels if I can avoid it, but was told on my return that nothing suitable was within walking distance, so discovered that the restaurant was pretty good for dinner, as well as providing a nice breakfast.
Overall, enjoyed the stay and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. My issues were more about the locale of the hotel than its facilities and if I stay in the area again, I will make sure I have a better understanding of when and where to go for food, shopping and ambiance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon N
Dear Flyingjohn

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments with regards to your recent stay at the Westin Cape Town.

Your kind cooments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive positive reviews.

A Sensory Welcome
The sensory-rich environment at Westin offers a respite from the rigors of travel and sets a welcoming tone. Upon entering the lobby, guests begin to breathe more easily as they are greeted with soothing elements like relaxed lighting, natural botanical beauty and stimulating music. The signature White Tea by Westin fragrance lightly infuses all common spaces.

We hope to welcome you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town. Our duty Managers will gladly assist you with recommendation in and around Cape Town.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Hotel is good, but the service is incredible. My shower head was broken and the drain blocked. I told the hotel, within hours I had new showerhead and the drain was cleared. Fantastic. Bathroom had heated floor, perfect in winter. I want to stay at the Westin again.... if the hotel reads this, more treadmills in the gym please.

• Stayed July 2013
The_Westin_Cape_Town, General Manager at The Westin Cape Town, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Bodagarde

It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your recent stay at the Westin Cape Town. We are delighted to know how much our staff exceeded your expectations and do hope to see you again when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Thank you for you comments regarding more treadmills in the gym, however due to space limitations, the gym is fitted with equipement as per our brand standards.

• To help you pack light and stay fit, we now offer New Balance® shoes and clothing for you to use during your stay for only R50. Simply dial Service Express® and request your shoe and clothing size and they will be conveniently delivered to your guest room. Shoes come with socks that are brand new and yours to keep, and the clothing is provided fresh and clean. Upon departure, simply leave the items in your room in their mesh bag.

Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We recently stayed here for 5 nights on the 16th floor. Our rooms were comfortable, clean, and with a luxurious bathroom with heated floors. The location was 1 block away from the freeway entrance for easy access to touring. We were a 10 minute pleasant walk from the V&A Waterfront if you didn't feel like taking the complementary hotel shuttle. The breakfast buffet in the club lounge was one of the best we have ever had anywhere. Well equipped fitness room. Usually during such a long stay, little quirks start to happen - not at this hotel. Service excellent!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EmilyWaugh
Dear EmilyWaugh

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Westin Cape Town.

• Sink into the Heavenly® Bed and experience a night of restorative sleep that is so divine you’ll never want to get out of bed. Since its introduction in 1999, the Heavenly Bed has lulled millions of guests into deep, restful sleep while winning accolades as an industry-leading innovation. Because good sleep is critical for both mental and physical health, Westin has designed every detail of the Heavenly Bed to promote superior slumber – from the crisp, white, 250–thread count sheets to the down duvets, plush pillows and custom pillow-top mattresses

USA
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Nice hotel, very clean, comfortable. Room service was good, nice selection for breakfast. Parking was very convenient, attached to the hotel. Free shuttle to the V&A Waterfront was convenient, about a 5 minute shuttle ride. Service was very good and smooth.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WorldTrip713

I was very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and I would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the service you received.

We look forward to having you stay with us again, when next your travels take you to Cape Town.

Wi-Fi
Stay connected with complimentary internet access throughout the hotel. Conveniently print and fax documents in our Business Center.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 12, 2013

A very impressive hotel near the city center, convention center , and the waterfront, close access to table mountain . Highly secure and good service. Good variety of restaurants and bars indoors

Breakfast menu could be improved

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jonty84

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel.

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay.

• SuperFoods dishes powerfully pair whole foods to boost their flavors and their benefits.
SuperFoods include fruits, vegetables, grains and proteins that are known to improve well-being and longevity. Antioxidant-rich and naturally low in calories, these tempting selections make healthful meals impossible to resist. Westin is the first hotel to embrace the SuperFoods concept and introduce these delectable, good-for-you choices to breakfast and in-room dining menus.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've stayed at Westin locations before, and I've enjoyed their level of service and quality sleep experience. However, I believe the Westin Cape Town exceeded expectations. The service was a step above the usual and they met special requests with a friendly smile. Executive lounge experience was very nice, and we loved the breakfast. Beautiful views, nice location and impressive service. Thanks for the quality experience!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suzy B

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Cape Town. We are especially pleased to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations.

They work exceptionaly hard to exceed all our guests expectations.

Thank you for choosing the Westin Cape Town and we do hope to welcome you again on your next trip.

Signature Heavenly® Programs