“Not 4 star status”

Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Not 4 star status”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days in December. The price was over the top , I think they just rip off the public over the December holidays. The room was spacious but didnt even have a fridge. The food in the restaurant was appalling-we had dinner there one evening where they were serving overseas guests a buffet that made me quite ashamed to be South African. Needless to say, they will not be seeing me again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vj_general_manager, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Joan

Firstly, please allow me the opportunity to say how sorry I am that we did not exceed your expectations in relation to every aspect of your most recent stay with us. I assure you that it was never our intention to provide you with anything less than a perfect stay and the fact that we instead provided you with anything less leaves us with much regret.

As I am sure you know, during periods of high demand prices do increase – December being one of those periods in Cape Town. We do align ourselves with the rest of the 4 star market and it is not our intention to rip anyone off. With this said, we do believe a GUEST should receive value for their money. We are currently investigating the placement of fridges in all our rooms and took your comments regarding the food very seriously. We have apologised to the group mentioned below, who happen to be part of a Tour Series who visit the hotel on a regular basis. Together with the organisers of this series, we have come up with a range of menus that have been very well received by all the groups that have stayed with us since.

I want you to know that YOU as a GUEST are immensely important to us and if there was ANY way in which we could have avoided disappointing you – we would have done so. Now – all I can do is apologize and hope that we are given an opportunity in the future to show you that the Protea Hotel Victoria Junction Waterfront is committed to excellence in GUEST service.

Kind Regards
Charl van Wyk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Turkish first
South Africa
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was surprised by this chic, stylish hotel in the busy hub on the edge of Greenpoint in Somerset Rd. upon arrival I was informed by one of the Reception staff that after a stay at Victoria Junction I won't choose another hotel in Cape Town. Although the open plan reception, dining room and bar areas were very modern and spacious I took his comment with a pinch of salt. It was only when we got to the room that I realised that he might be right. I have stayed at a number of hotels in Cape Town and this one is definitely one of the top ones. The setting: Close enough to the Waterfront and very close to Greenpoint Stadium. Also in close proximity of a very innovative Spar shopping complex (very convenient). The dining area: Stylish and the food is excellent - well done to the chefs. The rooms: extremely modern and technology is at the order of the day, complete with an I-pod docking station (loved this). My wife and I travelled with our 2 and a half year old boy and 4 month old baby girl and apart from the baby cot, they added a small mattress for our boy, without any trouble. Clean linen, business desk, and you don't hear a noise from outside. The swimming pool: modern long swimming pool for the summer days. The staff: Friendly enough and they really went out of their way to be helpful. Pity we only stayed 2 nights, we then moved to Protea Hotel Seapoint (because of a Prokard Special) - what a bumber - they could learn a lot from Protea Victoria Junction on everything mentioned. Well done on a great, well oiled machine. Will definitely return to this one.

Room Tip: Suppose they're all good...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ryno C
Dear Ryno

Thank you very much for taking the time to document your experience during your resent stay with us.

Your comments and observations are highly appreciated! I will ensure that they are passed on to the rest of the TEAM as I am sure they will find them as inspirational as I do. As they say location is everything for a Hotel, and when you throw the V&A Waterfront and Cape Town Stadium into the mix, location is definitely what we have.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Charl van Wyk
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is was my first stop on my tour of S. Africa. The location was perfect, within walking distance to the waterfront, the markets and nightlife. This hotel is in the middle of what S. African's call 'the pink district' (I had a blast partying at a gay club where the eye candy bartenders only wore undies). The hotel is clean and the service is great. Breakfast is served every morning with your choice of fresh squeezed juices, made to order eggs, fruits, yogurts, cereal, etc - all the foods you desire to start your day. If ever back in Cape Town I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Celicia
vj_general_manager, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Cecilia,
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Protea Hotel Victoria Junction and for providing feedback here about your experiences! Glad to see you enjoyed our neighbourhood and it certainly seems you had a good party or two! Thank you for being so complimentary of our services and facilities! We look forward to welcoming you back. Untill then, safe travels!
Mumbai
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We ended up spending 6 nights at this hotel in December 2011 / January 2012 (including New Years' eve) due to a goof up by hotels.com due to which we did not get our originally booked hotel. The location of the hotel is very good, given its proximity to the V&A waterfront.

Otherwise, we found it to be quite average. The rooms were small and okay, and we had a bad experience with the air conditioning, which the hotel staff were not very responsive to. The staff was quite indifferent and the service levels were in stark contrast to what we got elsewhere in South Africa.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
vj_general_manager, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Nirvaana,
Thank you so much for posting comment about the Protea Hotel Victoria Junction here on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate all the feedback we receive from our GUESTS. I'm sorry that we did not exceed all your expectations. I assure you that we have started a replacement program for our air-conditioning at the Hotel and more than 70% of our rooms have been completed. I'm sorry that this caused you inconvenience during your stay and that you felt our STAFF was not responsive enough to your complaints. We will most certainly address it with them so as to ensure we respond in a more positive manner. Thank you again for the feedback and safe travels!
Regards,
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel was our tour stop for 3 nights. The decor was a refreshing change from fake Victorian, public space was modern and quirky, the room was well equipped with a comfy bed and office desk complete with a dock for iPod. Large tv and a modern bathroom with huge shower. Overall a very comfortable stay. The courtesy bus was essential for return trips from the waterfront and returned if too many were waiting. Walking at night was inadvisable.
Breakfast was to a high standard with eggs cooked beautifully on request.
The only downside for me was the long narrow pool designed for length swimming, overlooked by offices. I would not have chosen this hotel had I been independent and not part of a tour just because of the pool, but for a day or two or a business trip it would be ideal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not street side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Fannybygaslight,
Thank you very much for your comments about the Protea Hotel Victoria Junction posted here on tripadvisor. We sincerely appreciate your positive crticism and will continue to strive towards maintaining and improving our standards! I'm sorry you don't like our swimming pool. Maybe the next time you visit we'll arrange you pool rights at our sister hotel up the road so you can enjoy your swimming experience more.
Pacific Palisades, CA
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were with a Tour Group so location wasn't much of a factor but it was nice to be within a 10-15 walk of the V & A Waterfront with all its wonderful shops, restaurants and outdoor entertainment. Reminder: Its more sensible to take a taxi after dark. The Hotel buffet breakfast is great and the buffet dinner was good too. There is a very nice SPAR grocery/deli down the street towards the town center.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms tend to be noisy but things quiet down fairly early even on Saturday night. The...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
vj_general_manager, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear kanda84,

Thank you so much for your comments about the Protea Hotel Victoria Junction received. We appreciate your feedback immensely. Thank you for being so complimentary of our facilities and services. We wish you safe travels!

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the VJ previously in 2010. The service then was excellent.
This recent experience was terrible to the extent that we could not stay at the hotel.
I made bookings for the 19th November 2012. We clearly communicated our special requirements via email to prevent any confusion. I confirmed this via email and again on the morning of the 19th I phoned and confirmed that the booking was in order. At check-in we were advised that the requested suite was not available and an alternative suite was allocated to us. I also clearly stipulated that the facility has to be close to the elevator. The alternative room was not as per our specification. a "third unit" was allocated to us. This was in a worse condition that the previous one, dirty carpets, soiled curtains, stale and smelly room. Supposedly there were no other "facilities/rooms" available as the hotel was fully booked. The sign out side the hotel indicated that accommodation was available.
Whilst discussing this at the reception, the guy the at check-in desk offered another guest a complimentary upgrade....
The front office manager refused to meet with me to address this. His/her view was the hotel was fully booked and it was a case of take it or leave.

Well we left within 20 minutes of checking in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Manoj,
Thank you very much for making comment on your recent experience at the Protea Hotel Victoria Junction. As a valued Prokard member we appreciate your feedback. Please accept my apologies that we were not able to exceed your expectations this time around. Regrettably, we did not have loft apartments available to upgrade you. the upgrade you witnessed would have been from a standard to superior room. I do hope that we can move beyond this and impress you again in future.

Sincere regards,