I use Trip Advisor extensively when planning our frequent trips and this hostel has previously been given very encouraging reviews. We chose this accommodation over a self catering apartment because of the added support that backpackers give to guests. We found no fault whatever with the travel service attached to The Backpack. However, because we decided to pay more than we usually do for a hostel, unfortunately our experience didn't live up to our expectations. The location is great. Just around the corner is a supermarket; you can catch the hop on hop off bus across the road and you can walk down Long St and to the waterfront. The room was adequate though we have experienced much better in the same and other countries for less money. Our major disappointment was the kitchen especially the fridge. There was only one and it was so laden one shelf had collapsed. There seemed to be another agenda. Maybe the limited kitchen facilities were intended to direct guests to use the on site restaurant? Maybe the limited self laundering facilities were intended so that guests sent their washing out? I don't have a problem with an organisation supporting a worthy cause (in this case, a local township community football team) in fact I think The Backpack should be commended for their social responsibility. However, I did have a problem when I witnessed one of the staff make another guest feel obliged to donate their key deposit to this charity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as best value stay in the world 2014 by Lonely Planet and Best Hostel in Africa 2014 by Hostelworld customers. Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is simply the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a hip, urban hostel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. Stay in touch in our internet cafe or use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a stunning view of Table Mountain, or meet like-minded international travellers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, to singles, twins, doubles and family rooms. We have recently built a loft apartment with amazing views of Table Mountain featuring its own kitchen. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. Awards: Awarded Best Hostel in South Africa 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009 & 2008, Awarded Best Hostel in Africa 2014, Lonely Planet Top 10 Best Value Stays 2014. Independent winner for Best Practice Economic Impact - Imvelo Awards 2011, Independent winner for Best Single Resource Management Program in Waste Management - Imvelo Awards 2011, "One of the world's 10 coolest hostels" Guardian UK - 2010, Winner of 2011 AA Quality Assured Accommodation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa