This place was a rip off. It seems that adding the word 'boutique' to the word 'backpacker' has given this place a license to charge hotel prices for backpacker quality. Yes, it's a clean and acceptable backpacker lodge, but don't expect to get what you pay for here. We stayed in far nicer places on our trip to South Africa, with friendlier staff and for half the price so I'm afraid I can't recommend it. We booked for five nights and ended up reducing our stay to 4 nights. Although we booked well in advance, assuming that would be the most economical way to go as it is in most countries around the world, we turned up to find that the walk in price was 100 rand a night cheaper than the price we paid online. None of the staff could explain why this was the case and eventually, after much discussion and eye rolling, agreed to reduce our rate to the board rate. Our room was small, stuffy and smelled like a hamster cage, so much so that we avoided spending any time in it. It was located in a courtyard, which meant it never seemed to get any fresh air into it (even the cleaner commented on the smell!), added to this it was where everyone came to smoke so the small amount of air we did get from the window that faced the courtyard was usually laden with cigarette smoke. The courtyard area was also the general meeting and breakfast area for the cleaning staff... at 6.00am, which meant early starts, every day! The kitchen was clean, but only one fridge was working, which meant that everyone was trying to stuff their food into one fridge... and failing. I didn't use the swimming pool as the layer of hair and what was probably suntan cream floating on the surface for our entire stay put me off somewhat. When I asked a member of staff if she would help me to book our onward hostel I was met with more eye rolling so I told her not to bother,
In short, if you don't mind paying over the odds for what you get then stay here, but if you expect value for money and service to match then avoid it if you can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as best value stay in the world 2014 by Lonely Planet and Best Hostel in Africa 2014 by Hostelworld customers. Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is simply the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a hip, urban hostel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. Stay in touch in our internet cafe or use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a stunning view of Table Mountain, or meet like-minded international travellers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, to singles, twins, doubles and family rooms. We have recently built a loft apartment with amazing views of Table Mountain featuring its own kitchen. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. Awards: Awarded Best Hostel in South Africa 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009 & 2008, Awarded Best Hostel in Africa 2014, Lonely Planet Top 10 Best Value Stays 2014. Independent winner for Best Practice Economic Impact - Imvelo Awards 2011, Independent winner for Best Single Resource Management Program in Waste Management - Imvelo Awards 2011, "One of the world's 10 coolest hostels" Guardian UK - 2010, Winner of 2011 AA Quality Assured Accommodation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa