I had a late arrival into Cape Town so I figured I would stay somewhere on the cheap for my first night, explore the city and then move on from there. I got a private room at The Backpack and quickly fell in love with the place. This is not a belligerent, music-blasting, sex on the pool table type of hostel. This place oozes class and has mastered the brand of effortless, casual cool that is oft-imitated and rarely achieved. The bar played awesome music (from 'the xx' to the beatles) and the little cafe served fantastic breakfast fare (do yourself a favor and order 'breakfast in a glass.') I met the most amazing, interesting people while staying here--surprisingly most of them were my age (mid to late twenties) and only a few of them were "backpacking." Most folks had (like me) stumbled on the place by accident. Making new buds was fantastic because I was traveling alone and while I was technically "working" in Cape Town, I still wanted to sneak in some sights and sounds. The Backpack was a great base for day trips and set me up with the most honest and reliable car rental agency that I have ever had the pleasure of patronizing.
If you're traveling alone, there is absolutely no better place to stay.
In case I haven't gone on enough, it is worth noting that what really makes this place is the staff. Whoever is in charge of hiring deserves a gold star because they have assembled what has got to be the best crew in hospitality: awesome people who are helpful without being robotic and friendly without being fake. They are fresh and funny and kind and make it clear that they really just want you to have an excellent time: with such excellent staff and facilities, how could you not oblige?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as best value stay in the world 2014 by Lonely Planet and Best Hostel in Africa 2014 by Hostelworld customers. Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is simply the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a hip, urban hostel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. Stay in touch in our internet cafe or use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a stunning view of Table Mountain, or meet like-minded international travellers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, to singles, twins, doubles and family rooms. We have recently built a loft apartment with amazing views of Table Mountain featuring its own kitchen. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. Awards: Awarded Best Hostel in South Africa 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009 & 2008, Awarded Best Hostel in Africa 2014, Lonely Planet Top 10 Best Value Stays 2014. Independent winner for Best Practice Economic Impact - Imvelo Awards 2011, Independent winner for Best Single Resource Management Program in Waste Management - Imvelo Awards 2011, "One of the world's 10 coolest hostels" Guardian UK - 2010, Winner of 2011 AA Quality Assured Accommodation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa