“The best of the best!”
Review of The Backpack

The Backpack
“The best of the best!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had a late arrival into Cape Town so I figured I would stay somewhere on the cheap for my first night, explore the city and then move on from there. I got a private room at The Backpack and quickly fell in love with the place. This is not a belligerent, music-blasting, sex on the pool table type of hostel. This place oozes class and has mastered the brand of effortless, casual cool that is oft-imitated and rarely achieved. The bar played awesome music (from 'the xx' to the beatles) and the little cafe served fantastic breakfast fare (do yourself a favor and order 'breakfast in a glass.') I met the most amazing, interesting people while staying here--surprisingly most of them were my age (mid to late twenties) and only a few of them were "backpacking." Most folks had (like me) stumbled on the place by accident. Making new buds was fantastic because I was traveling alone and while I was technically "working" in Cape Town, I still wanted to sneak in some sights and sounds. The Backpack was a great base for day trips and set me up with the most honest and reliable car rental agency that I have ever had the pleasure of patronizing.

If you're traveling alone, there is absolutely no better place to stay.

In case I haven't gone on enough, it is worth noting that what really makes this place is the staff. Whoever is in charge of hiring deserves a gold star because they have assembled what has got to be the best crew in hospitality: awesome people who are helpful without being robotic and friendly without being fake. They are fresh and funny and kind and make it clear that they really just want you to have an excellent time: with such excellent staff and facilities, how could you not oblige?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is lovely to hear that we exceeded your expectations of The Backpack. We strive ourselves in giving our guests the best stay possible while in Cape Town.

It is awesome to hear that you were happy with the staff! We have staff from all over South Africa and Africa, so we have a real mixture of culture within the hostel itself.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Eleni Good

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here during mid-March and can honestly say that this is one of the best hostels I've ever had the pleasure of staying in.

Staff - very friendly and helpful. Lucas behind the bar is always keen to go out and great to hang out with
Rooms - very clean. They make your bed every morning, shared bathrooms are kept very clean
Guests - Very diverse range of guests, both young and old, creating a good vibe. Lots of opportunities to meet interesting new people
Cape Town - in one word: wonderful! Will come back again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

It is divine to hear that you loved Cape Town! We absolutely love the place we call work and home. It is an amazing city, with so much diverse culture.

We are glad to hear that you were happy with your stay at The Backpack. Our house-keepers work extremely hard to ensure that all our bedrooms are kept up to a standard that all our guests expect and more!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

had such a great time here, met so many nice travelers, great bar, great atmosphere, beautiful room, so laid back, so safe, so warm during the horrible winter rain, lovely big fire. Really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on TripAdvisor.

Wow! Nearly a year later, we are glad to hear that you still remember your awesome stay with us at The Backpack.

It is lovely to hear that you were happy with the room you stayed in.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is probably one of the best hostels I've stayed at. The rooms and bathrooms were all pretty clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. It's in a great location, close to Long Street and with great views of Table Mountain. It's also very well known, so most taxi drivers will know exactly where to go when you tell them that you're headed to the Backpack. The cafe and bar were well run and had great selections and service. Also, the travel desk at reception connected you to great tours. The vibe of the place made it very easy to meet other solo travelers so that if you so chose, you could easily find people with whom to go out either during the day or at night. If I ever return to Cape Town, I will definitely consider staying here again!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hostel and found the your stay thoroughly enjoyable.

We are happy to hear that you found the services by our travel desk helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here by myself for a weekend at the beginning of March after flying in from England via Dubai- a loooong flight!
I was picked up from the airport as arranged and checked in quickly.
My room was fairly small but had a decent sized bathroom attached to it. I stayed in the room called 'Wild Dog'.
My room was right at the back of the hostel, but it was fairly quiet, there was a small amount of road noise but nothing that would interrupt sleep!
The bar area had a nice atmosphere, the girls working behind the bar were lovely and very helpful.
They say they dont provide food but I had a lovely panini the night I got there and had breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice every morning.
Cape town is a beautiful place to visit and travelling as a young woman on my own, I felt very safe there.
The only downside is I'm now back in rainy England! I want to go back!
Thank you to the Backpack for welcoming me into the lovely South Africa and looking after me!

Room Tip: The double room with an en suite was well worth the money after coming off a long flight and wanting...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

It is awesome to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at The Backpack. We always strive to ensure our guests have the best possible stay.

We are glad that you were able to use some of our facilities like, our bar and we are happy to hear that you found the staff helpful towards you.

We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Have been recently travelling a lot and this place is sure one the best places that I have stayed at. Situated at the right location - all awesome places within walking access that includes the table mountain, long street and is very close to the V&A waterfront. The staff are extremely friendly and would help one out with all tourist stuff. A definite place to make friends from all over the world and a 'must stay at' in Cape Town.

Room Tip: The 4 bed room dorms are perfect for budget travellers.
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you found the services provided by the staff friendly and helpful.

The location is good that we are close to the exciting Long Street, but far enough that you can get a good nights sleep.

We look forward in welcoming you back soon.

Malverne, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Booked a one way ticket to Cape Town from New York and stayed here for 10 days. Stayed in a 4 person ensuite which was very comfortable. They have a bar thats open til midnight everyday that serves breakfast and sandwiches. Pool table and a pool that has an amazing view of Table Mountain. On top of all of that, the staff is incredibly friendly and wil help you with whatever you want to do in Cape Town. Would 110% stay here again

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We like yourself thoroughly enjoy the enjoy the view that we have of Table Mountain from the hostel. It is an unbelievable view!

The Backpack team looks forward to welcoming you back soon.