I stayed in the 8 person dorm for 5 nights as a solo traveler in Jan 2012. It's definitely an acceptable hostel but there are a few notable shortcomings.
-Good location. Not on Long St proper so single females can't walk alone after dark.
-Great services. They're happy and eager to book activities for you but try tack on a service fee which you can avoid by booking tours directly online.
-It's a very social hostel, easy to make friends and a very diverse aged crowd (20 yo's through to 60 yo's all stay here)
-The bar/ resto is overpriced but the food is good enough to allow you take meals there.
-Taxis are always hanging around, easy to get
-The 8 person dorm room doesn't have a fan so it's bloody hot and no nets so you are ravaged by Mosquitos. It also only has 1 electrical outlet which makes charging an issue.
-There is only one washer/dryer so expect waits
-The wifi is not free, they give you 20MB per day which is a joke. Alternatively they also have desktops you can log into but they're painfully slow so your free minutes pass without much to show.
-The pool is nothing to be excited about, very limited lounge area
Just around the corner is another hostel called Amber Tree which I also stayed at andpreferred. I would stay at The Backpack again it just wouldn't be my first choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as best value stay in the world 2014 by Lonely Planet and Best Hostel in Africa 2014 by Hostelworld customers. Making a difference is more than just an initiative of The Backpack, it is the way we are, the way we work and the way we live. South Africa's original award-winning backpacker hostel and travel agency is simply the best place to make your travel arrangements, with all the facilities you can expect from a hip, urban hostel, such as stylishly decorated Afro-chic rooms offering superior comfort and quality, with shared or en-suite bathrooms, private electronic safes and in-house ATM. Stay in touch in our internet cafe or use WiFi throughout the hostel; swim in the pool with a stunning view of Table Mountain, or meet like-minded international travellers in our buzzing Cafe or Bar. We offer a variety of rooms, ranging from 8- and 4-bed dorms, to singles, twins, doubles and family rooms. We have recently built a loft apartment with amazing views of Table Mountain featuring its own kitchen. The hostel has communal kitchen and dining facilities; lots of sociable and chill-out spots to relax in. A night on the town in Long Street, gorgeous Clifton and Camps Bay beaches, Table Mountain, V&A Waterfront and the city centre is just a stone's throw away. Awards: Awarded Best Hostel in South Africa 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009 & 2008, Awarded Best Hostel in Africa 2014, Lonely Planet Top 10 Best Value Stays 2014. Independent winner for Best Practice Economic Impact - Imvelo Awards 2011, Independent winner for Best Single Resource Management Program in Waste Management - Imvelo Awards 2011, "One of the world's 10 coolest hostels" Guardian UK - 2010, Winner of 2011 AA Quality Assured Accommodation ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Agoda, HostelWorld, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your The Backpack reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Backpack Hotel Cape Town Central
- The Backpack Cape Town, South Africa