The Backpack
The Commodore(Cape Town Central)
$261
$202
Agoda.com
Protea Hotel Cape Town Victoria Junction(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$156
$108
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
Townhouse Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$114
$70
  • Breakfast included
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$318
$230
$796
$335
Agoda.com
Southern Sun The Cullinan(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$248
$135
bedfinder
  • Pool
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
$196
$170
Winchester Mansions(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$192
$131
  • Breakfast included
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$142
$101
$343
$222
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewslong streetfair tradetable mountainprivate bathroombed dormtownship tourcommon areasrooms are cleanenjoyed my stayfelt very safethe location is perfectkloof streetstayed here for nightsstay in cape townsouth africahome away from homehostel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I have stayed in many backpackers during my travels, but none as good as the Backpack. As soon as I walked in, it felt like home. The staff are awesome - welcoming, keen to help with anything you need, and treat you as a friend. The rooms are clean, spacious and cosy, the food is yummy, plentiful and fantastic value for money, but the best thing about the Backpack is the atmosphere - the whole place just has a really great vibe that makes you not want to leave! So many places I have stayed lack this but the Backpack has character and charm by the bucket load. Because of this, everyone, guests and staff alike, seem to be in a forever good mood which creates the perfect setting to chill, explore, and make new friends. I would recommend the Backpack to anyone, it’s in a great location, is safe, and has so much to offer!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Thank you for your lovely review that you wrote about our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are really glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our hostel to have that special "something".

It is lovely to hear that you were also happy to hear you were satisfied with your accommodation at our hostel.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to our hostel again soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed at The Backpack for 7 nights and I was seriously considering extending my stay both in Cape Town and at The Backpack at the end of the week. I only have good - or even brilliant things to say about The Backpack. Fantastic location, fabulous rooms & decor, great bar/bistro/food, very hady & helpful travel-desk and fantastic staff! If ever vistit Cape Town again I'll make sure I book well ahead because I wouldn't want to miss out on staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Cape Town and it made you want to stay even longer.

We pride ourselves in making our guests feel part of the family.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Really enjoyed staying here. Met some fun travellers, enjoyed the food, liked the lodgings (girls dorm was great) and was away from Long Street....which didn't impress me, except at night time :)

Make sure you get the voucher for wine from The Backpack and head to Arnolds Restaurant, even though the food is great at The Backpack it is nice to try other places too :) , six of us went and we all had superb meals....I really enjoyed the crocodile ribs.

My ony negative, and just a little one, was that the staff had no idea about the MyCiti bus system (it is fairly new) and kept recommending I get cabs everywhere.....I did mention this in my review to them and they said they would inform the staff where the bus stops were. As a backpacker I have ALL day to explore the city and don't need to desperately get somewhere that I need a cab. Just in case......the closest is about 300m away on Loop St near the corner of Buitensingel St - the stop is called Orange 1. This will take you to the city and then another one to Waterfront or the Airport. A great system.

Thanks again...had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

It is awesome that you took the time to write a review about our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to hear that you had a some miscommunication with regards to the bus systems within Cape Town. Since you review was ssent to the hostel, we have collected maps about the MyCiti bus and all the staff have "brushed up" their knowledge on the routes.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overal stay with us.

Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights, and really got a good feel for the place during our stay. The staff were very friendly, and the facilities excellent. There were regular hostel 'events' such as a wine tasting, brai, and burger night whilst we were there. The hostel is in a good location, quiet (just far enough away from Long St noise) but close enough you can walk there safely at night. We had a spacious and clean twin room (it actually had 3 single beds) and it was cleaned every day.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here at our hostel.

We are fortunate to be located in a great spot near everything, but not right on top of all the noise!

Please come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying in the backpacker while on holiday in Cape Town. The location is terrific and the staff simply could not be any more friendly or helpful. The room was excellent with en-suite facilities and a huge comfy bed. The view in the morning of Table mountain was stunning. I would recommend eating in the trendy and atmospheric bar area as the food was excellent and great value for money.

The Backpack also offers a wide range of day trips and experiences that really enhanced the holiday. I would especially recommend the community project trip
to Heiderveld, which was the highlight of the holiday. It was a profound experience playing football with the kids as seeing firsthand the positive effect the Backpack is having by supporting this community.

I will definitely be staying at the Backpack next time I visit Cape Town as it simply cannot be beaten on location, quality and value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
EleniGood, Duty Manager at The Backpack, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thank you for your lovely review on Tripadvisor.

We are really glad that you were able to send an afternoon at the projects playing soccer with the kids. It is lovely knowning the kids aren't causing trouble, but rather putting their time to good use learning to play soccer.

It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed your overal stay with us and it is lovely to hear that you will be joining us again in the near future.