“Wonderful! Liz & Phil are the best!”
Review of Parker Cottage

Parker Cottage
Ranked #1 of 156 Cape Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I spent a lovely vacation weekend at Parker Cottage in the fall of 2010. Prior to arriving in Cape Town, my colleagues and I had spent a week in Johannesburg running conference. This was our first trip to South Africa, and were excited to have a few days off to decompress before heading back to NYC. We were exhausted when we arrived, and spent the next few days relaxing and recuperating,

Parker Cottage itself is beautiful. The rooms are charming and impeccably clean, and the common areas are the same. The food is delicious and plentiful, and the small touches made the stay very special. Our flight arrived very late, so Phil called me on my cell when I landed and offered to have food waiting for us when we arrived. They helped arrange a walking tour with a private guide on a Sunday (usually the guide's day off), recommended great restaurants, and allowed me to curl up for hours on their sunny front porch. Just what I needed after a crazy week of work.

Upon my recommendation, one of my work colleagues spent time at Parker Cottage last year, and loved it just as much as I did. And I just recommended it to another friend, who is heading to Cape Town in December. I hope to return again some day myself!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
ParkerCottage, Owner at Parker Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thanks Betty for such a warm review: and from 2010 too! It's particularly pleasant to know that you found us suited to a business (or rather post business) trip. We have tried to make Parker Cottage into an 'unplugged' kind of environment so although we have free and fast wifi, we try to avoid the trappings of the business hotel to keep the house as 'home' like as possible. It was lovely to know that you curled up on the couch: that's exactly the point!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were travelling in a noisy party of 10. From the minute we were welcomed onto the beautiful white verandah till the moment we left in busy excitement in our newly rented 4x4s heading for Namibia we were shown nothing but kindness, professionalism, generosity and patience! Breakfasts were fabulous and far more than we could eat (although we did try!), my morning cup of tea was brought to the room on a beautiful white tray and we were served home made peanut butter cookies which have gone down in our household as the best cookies ever!! The decor and soft furnishings were homely yet clever and the staff felt like friends by the end of our stay. Well done.

Room Tip: Our room was in the front and overlooked the water feature in the front yard. Loved the orange curta...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DianeCWilton
ParkerCottage, Owner at Parker Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Ha! We love your description of 'a noisy party of ten'! You guys were far from noisy, that we can assure you. Thanks for complimenting us on our patience: it's nice to know that when we're fully booked and super busy (as we nearly always are these days!) that it doesn't affect the service you receive from us and the time we're able to give you.

Lexi was particularly delighted to know that you enjoyed her cookies! She's a superb baker and each and every biscuit at Parker Cottage is home made. This would of course be a simple standard to maintain if they weren't so nice to eat: the biscuit barrel never seems to be quite full... :-)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Not only is Parker Cottage a super cozy house with beautiful rooms and serves a fantastic breakfast with different daily specials, but their service is superb. Phil made all kinds of arrangements for us, including tryint to fix our daughter's Mac and following us to the car rental place in his own car when it was obvious that our suitcases would not fit in the car that was sent to pick us up. This is really way beyond the call of duty! All staff members were friendly, accommodating and very pleasant. One of my kids was slighty miffed by the fact that everyone was treated the same way "I thought WE were special!". Our first morning we got an excellent overview from Phil regarding the area, things to do according to our preferences, ordering of tickets, etc. This meant that we were able to relax and make optimal plans. Also, if you are interested in wines, we highly recommend that you hire Mr. Chris Hannival whom is affiliated with Parker Cottage. He took us on a fabulous day of wine tasting and sight-seeing. He is very knowledgeable, pleasant and perfect company and loves wine himself and knows what he is talking about. We could not have picked a better place for our first visit to Cape Town. Also, we could walk to several good restaurants and Long Street was not far at all. Parker Cottage deserves its good reputation!

Room Tip: We stayed in 3 different rooms and if you are a light sleeper, do ask for the upstairs rooms (2 adja...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JonOtto

We love your daughter's comment! Unfortunately, everyone who stays at Parker Cottage is special (apparently there are some other places to stay in Cape Town, but they are clearly just for ordinary people) :-). And yes, we do try to make sure that every single administrative niggle of your holiday is taken care of, from transporting luggage, fixing your laptop and generally sorting out all the bookings and tickets. SO pleased you enjoyed!

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I'll start with the end, which is what impressed me most.

Phil, the owner, asked us. "If this was your place, what would you change?" He showed us that he genuinely cared about his guests and making it better for future guests!

We arrived in the evening to be warmly welcomed by Jasper and Phil! Phil, like Jasper, is the friendliest most likeable person! We were orientated and given suggestions for good restaurants and stuff to do!

Hats off to Tomas who remembers our oreference for breakfast every morning!I cannot agree more that breakfast is AMAZING! He predicts the weather rather well thus we had a great day on the table mountains! If he ever stops working at Parker, he should be the weather man!

everything was purrfect! you wont wont wont regret your stay with Parker!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Parker Cottage during our recent trip to South Africa and we just loved it! The room was delightfully decorated, the bed was comfortable, the location was very convenient, and I cant say enough about everybody on the staff.

Phil, the owner, was incredibly helpful structuring our time in Cape Town, guiding us to the best activities for each day we were there. He arranged a rental car for our Cape Peninsula drive, bought tickets for the cable car ride and Robben Island, and made dinner reservations when we needed them. He, and EVERYONE on his staff couldnt have been more gracious and helpful.

And I have to say a word about breakfast ... and hash browns! First of all, it was delicious! Fruit, cereal, breads, coffee and a daily special or full English breakfast every day. And it lasted us all day! And when my wife asked for her hash browns "scattered" (You have to be a southerner or a fan of Waffle House for that to make sense!), they went out of their way to find a recipe to accommodate her. Lexi even skyped with a friend of hers in Pittsburgh to find out how to make "Scattered Hash Browns"!

If you're going to Cape Town, you have to stay here!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is one of the nicest places we visites during our trip throughout south africa. Theo really make you feel at home and help you do the nicest things while in Capetown. From good restaurant advices to a brilliant breakfast. Thanks so much - we truly enjoyed out stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Thanks to Trip Advisor I found Parker Cottage and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. From the moment we met Phil and Lexi, I knew I had made the correct decision. They received us like family and did everything they could to help us feel warm, comfortable, and like we were at home. Except, they did all the work and we just relaxed, ate, had great conversations with our new friends, and had fun wine tasting night. More importantly for me, the house was spotless, heavenly bed with beautiful linen and quiet room (Patterson Room). The breakfast was to die for thanks to the ladies on the kitchen staff (Phil and Thomas added their own personal touch). Phil thanks again for your support with sending pictures, wifi, advising places to go, ordering out (special treat the way you set the table late at night just for Carol and Joe). First time with B and B and will do it again thanks to Parker Cottage (You have the Right Touch). Hope to return in the future, newly retired.
Carol B

Room Tip: Patterson Room was fantastic, just right size, warm and cozy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple