“Don't even CONSIDER staying anywhere else!”
Review of Parker Cottage

Parker Cottage
Auckland, New Zealand
“Don't even CONSIDER staying anywhere else!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The quality of your accommodation usually determines the success of a trip, so staying at Parker Cottage ensured that our trip to Cape Town was a huge success!

We loved our visit, found everything meeting and exceeding our expectations and were impressed with how quickly Phil, and the rest of the staff, would respond to any request.

It is a warm and cosy place to stay, but the staff are all extremely professional. The breakfasts are the best we've ever had at a B&B, love the way guests can, at any time, go and make their own coffee or tea in the kitchen (gives a homely feel), the daily newspapers, the fire in the lounge when the weather turned, the folders with recommended trips and restaurants, and so much more!

The part we probably appreciated most, was the wine tasting evening. It brought a group of strangers from different parts of the world together and they felt like friends after that evening. It is an excellent idea, and we felt as if we were leaving family behind when we left two days later.

Phil, wishing you and your staff all the best going forward, keep up the high standards and we hope to meet again in future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Finnish first
Cambridge UK
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We returned recently to stay again at Parker Cottage.
We were not disappointed as the high standards of accommodation, friendly service, attention to detail, helpful & thoughtful advice, were all still firmly in place without being intrusive.
Breakfasts continue to excel where others only imitate (Phil is currently on a grape peeling master class just to push presentation into the 100%).
As returning guests we had to deal with preconceived expectations and try as we may we really cannot suggest any areas for improvement.
Transfers to/from airport readily arranged.
Location for walking in and around C T is excellent. Many good eating establishments within easy reach. Blue bus tour highly recommended (willingly booked by Phil).
A great place to celebrate a 40th wedding anniversary so we did.
We worry about giving good reviews as such secrets should be kept close!

Room Tip: Book early to ensure you can stay here. All rooms have different charms.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Staying for four nights at Parker Cottage was a dleight. The house itself is beautifully restored - a real flavour of colonial living, but with modern comforts. Our room was spacious, comfortable and packed with character. Breakfasts were the best we had in four months travelling in the southern hemisphere, with variety – not often experienced elsewhere - added through a delicious daily ‘special’.

It was our first visit to Cape Town and our enjoyment of the Mother City was considerably enhanced by Phil’s informed and enthusiastic advice (supplementing what's already in the walking and restauarant info available on the website) and by his working relationship with Chris, who drove us around the Cape Peninsula on a wonderful day of exploring and walking, culminating in a cable car up to Table Mountain at sunset. Phil, Liz, Lexi and the team were keen to ensure that our time in Cape Town was well spent but, sensibly, not as hectic as we’d originally planned. We met a few lovely guests too, some at the Cottage's wine tasting evening.

Cape Town is not without its issues but Parker Cottage provided a safe, friendly, knowledgeable, luxurious and supportive base for our first experience of a vibrant city. We’re keen to return to both. Many thanks.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This place is a real gem. Everyone was so helpful from the start of the booking process until check out. We needed a pick up from the airport around midnight for one of our party and this was carried out seamlessly and even a welcome tray was provided on arrival. Apart from the rooms and breakfasts (with a special addition every day) which were superb, Phil and Lexi gave us all sorts of helpful information of places to visit during our stay. There are excellent restaurants close by and we spent a half day walking from the B&B to the V&A Waterfront, seeing so much amazing architecture on the way. We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wintonian101
Chicagoland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let me start by saying that you don't get the types of TA reviews that Parker Cottage gets by being on B&B management autopilot. Phil and Liz, the staff from front to back and the property itself met our every expectation. Start reading the reviews and know you can trust them.
So rather than clutter this review up with more "hozanna's" to Phil (... it is best to keep his inner child smiling, yet well behaved :-), I thought I might discuss why we chose Parker, the process itself and how it worked into our entire RSA trip planning.
When my wife requested a "safari adventure" my first comment was "I have never planned a trip like that before" She pointed to the computer and said " start talking to your little internet friends and make it happen". So off to TA I went and hello to all my little internet friends!
I found Parker Cottage on TA very early on and this was the farthest, longest destination to get to that my wife and I had ever planned for. We also desired to burn some air miles as both a budget expander and because the future of rewards programs is cloudy at best. I mention this because we needed to lock down our flights a full 10 months prior to the trip. Contacting Phil about what was available that far out meant that my pre trip planning was longer that ever, and I must say the pre trip communications with Parker Cottage were precise, clear and so timely, I thought the time changes between Cape Town and Chicago didn't exist. Compared to the response times from inquiry to reply I have found when dealing with high end B&B's in the EU, you could tell Phil didn't take his customer response training in Italy!
We were faced with the decision Safari first and then Cape Town or the other way around and we were very happy with our decision to come to Cape Town first, reset our time clocks and then go for Safari- It proved much easier to ride jetlagged on a HoHo bus for the first days in South Africa than face early wake up calls for safari game runs. It is also a good migration arriving at a chic international metro area on par beauty wise with San Francisco or Sydney and then move along later to searching for fresh elephant poop on a dusty game trail!
Our time in Cape Town was maximized as I became more comfortable in trusting that Phils logistics planning (ride in from airport, event tickets, Peninsula tour, wine country tour) was better than anything I could have managed on my own and I think pretty on par price wise without any of the hassle. I think that had I asked Phil at breakfast to try to set up a barefoot wedding at sunset tonight with a priest and a rabbi, mimes for entertainment and his and her tattoo artists to mark the occasion, he would have pulled out his cell phone and said "The only problem I may have is finding a priest because its Easter Week... but let me see what I can do...would a Monk work?".
Seriously, every recomendation he or the staff made was great- buying tram tickets in advance, etc- it just made no sense not to utilize Parker Cottage to pre book services.
So in summary:
Very strong pre trip communications
Used Parker Cottage to set up airport ground transportation, tickets to tram on Cable mountain, a "sold out" concert, HoHo bus, tour of Peninsula, tour of wine country, self guided walk, very reasonable laundry service and numerous restaurant suggestions both close and down at the waterfront.
Very much enjoyed Phils wine tasting event, a stocked fridge in the kitchen for off hour beverages and a precise and accurate folio at the end of the stay. Entire transaction felt clean, safe and secure.
My wife said "You done good!" is selecting Parker Cottage for our stay.

Room Tip: We went for the high end and were not disappointed- The photos are exactly as presented in reality...
1 Thank Capsu78
Washington DC
Reviewed May 7, 2013

When I decided to revisit Cape Town, my first step was to ask for a booking at Parker cottage where I had stayed during my first visit to years earlier. I was a few days out of Cape Town on a small expedition cruise ship when Phil checked in with me by email to see if there was anything they could do during my (unfortunately) very short visit. The result was bookings and three restaurants, one of which Phil had recommended to me two years earlier which produces very fine Japanese food an exceptionally peaceful environment.

Highest marks go to the leisurely breakfast, on the porch or terrace during good weather, and the outstanding guidance on how best to spend your time.

If I am ever faced with imminent disaster, such as a 50 foot tsunami flood or a major massive terrorist explosion I will pack up my children and grandchildren with tags around their necks saying "Parker Cottage Cape Town," knowing they will end up safe and well taken care of.

Room Tip: As a single traveler I have had rooms that were particularly suitable to that condition and very goo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DGM-Washington
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Living in Durban, we had a family wedding in Cape Town and recommended Parker Cottage to Canadian friends attending the weddding. They were thrilled with the warm hospitality offered to them. On a previous, very pleasurable stay at Parker Cottage, the proprietor, Phil, suggested we contact them for our wedding transport arrangements. They were so effecient and pleasant to deal with, the arrangements were complicated, but everyone was collected and delivered home on time!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family