“Mixed service experience”
Review of The PortsWood

The PortsWood
Ranked #45 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed September 12, 2012

First the plus: free WiFi! Yeah, you'd think that should be standard nowadays. I mean, hotels don't charge you for using the shower, right?

But then a BiG lowlight: in room "service" - rather, non-service. Firstly, there is no beverages listed on the in-room menue. I mean, this is 2012. Single women do travel, may want to enjoy a drink, but don't want to hang around at a hotel bar to do so! Give me a break. I call. After much persuasion, I get the guy to rattle off all available beers and wines to me, with their prices. I order a glass of Chardonnay. 25 minutes later, I am ready to go to sleep, still no sign of the wine, and now I can't shower, right, as I am sure the waiter will knock as soon as I step into the shower. I call again. The same guy gives me a lame excuse. I can hear he's totally forgotten about me.

Clearly, the food and bar service is an afterthought here. Replace the manager with some who cares. Then staff will follow his or her example. And fix the menue.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel in the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. We regret what you have experienced at our Hotel as the service we provide is what we are so proud of.

I would like to assure you that the Food and Beverage service we provide is in par with a luxury four star Hotel and what you regrettably experienced is not something that happens here. We have identified what had gone wrong and the problem has been addressed to avoid a similar re-occurrence.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and would appreciate it if you could contact me if there is anything more we can do that will ensure that we will see you again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I spent 9 nights on a business trip at The Portswood, what a fantastic place to stay. Very comfortable room, everything worked. The staff were more than helpful at all times, take 5 minutes out of your day to talk to them and they are great sources of information on where to go and what to see, but remember to tip, not that they treat you any different if you dont. Minutes walk from the waterfront area, where all the shops, bars and restaurants are. Easy to get to the main road network in and out of Cape Town. Although on a business trip I would not hesitate to stay here if on holiday.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive comments on your recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. When that well deserved Holiday is near, please let us know how we can help making the most of it for you!

We look forward to wecloming you back.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the PortsWood Hotel for a total of four nights this past August as part of our honeymoon. Overall we were very impressed with the hotel, more specifically its location to the waterfront, which is what you are paying for. The rooms are small but served their purpose, as we did not spend too much time in them. They provide the standard coffee/tea, tv, room safe, etc. The bathroom was quite small, but there was great water pressure. They were cleaned daily and we had no issues with the room.

The staff during our stay was great. They provide a tour guide desk concierge that looked up specific information on museums and shark diving for us. They were very professional and helpful. The front desk staff was also very accommodating, they allowed us to store luggage our last day while we went sightseeing and then waited for our ride to the airport.

Overall my wife and I would recommend the PortsWood Hotel for travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the PortsWood Hotel in the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. The level of service you kindly pointed out in your response is what we pride ourselves in. Thank you.

There are so many exciting things to do in Cape Town but the shark diving is most certainly one the best choices! I hope you enjoyed every minute.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best,

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Spent four nights here after a week up country. The hotel is perfectly situated for the Waterfront only e couple of minutes away. The breakfasts were excellent and for a change you didn't even have to do self service. A big plus was the free internet and wi-fi - a rare occurance these days. The staff were so friendly and helpfull that it felt that we'd been here before. I'd certainly recomend the hotel and would certainly return here if we were in Cape Town again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your positive experience at the PortsWood Hotel, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. As a Team we always appreciate such feedback and I will make sure that your klind words are shared with each member.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for three nights while touring Cape Town. Walking distance to wonderful restaurants, comfortable rooms, hearty breakfasts. Great place to use as a home base. Included as part of a package from African Sky tours.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rothkids
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Our location is one of our best selling points but I have to agree with you, the breakfast is something everyone - including myself - always remembers!

We look forward to being your home again in Cape Town, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Niklas H
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the forth time I have visited this hotel, for business and pleasure, and as the title suggests it never lets me down.
The staff greet you with the warmth of an old friend, nothing is too much trouble, my room was clean, well presented and spacious, bigger than the one I last stayed in.
I only ate breakfast in the hotel because it would be a shame not to sample some of the lovely fare on offer at the Waterfront (try the Ocean basket :-)). The breakfast was plentiful and the choice of cooked breakfast was more than enough. The speed at which the meal was delivered gives you just enough time to sample the cereals and fruits on offer.

As informed above, this is not the first time I have visited this hotel, nor will it be the last, I find it excellent value for money and a home away from home, its proximity to the Waterfront makes it ideal to see and do all the things you will want to do, and if you have a car, the parking right next door with the drop off and collect service means that you will waste no time getting on your way or returning tired and exhausted to your room.

Thanks to all the staff that make each visit as good as the last.

Mark

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room as its clear not all are the same size.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark H

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your positive experience at the PortsWood Hotel, in the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town. Your feedback will go along way in assisting with our staff training and motivation programs in place and also knowing what our guests enjoy about our beautiful Hotel.

I will personally make sure the members of staff you mentioned in your review and thanked accordingly.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the PortsWood Hotel, for your fifth stay (and many more to come) in the not too distant future.