“Good location”
Review of Cape Milner

Cape Milner
Ranked #29 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Friendly staff and good location for exploring Cape Town, especially for getting to Camps Bay by car. However, the service at breakfast left a lot to be desired, one had to ask for cutlery, tea, coffee etc. Our room was spacious with great views of Table Mountain.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret27_11

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed in the Cape Milner a good while back in 2009 so we are a little late with our review but better late than never!! From start to finish we could not fault this gem of a hotel. The view of Table Mountain is breathtaking! The staff were so nice and very helpful. We arrived about 9.30am in the morning which was well before check in and our room was ready and after nearly 24 hours travelling that was music to our ears. As it was a fine clear day we were advised to visit table mountain as soon as we could as the weather forecast wasn't great for the rest of our stay. The hotel concierge Papa G brought us up and collected us after so we didn't have to use a taxi. I am not sure if he is still there but I really have to commend Papa G, as he was so helpful to us during our stay as were all the other staff at the Cape Milner.
If we are ever lucky enough to return to Capetown, we will be staying in the Cape Milner again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for one evening and enjoyed the view on Table Mountain. The room was good, did not enjoy the vacuum cleaning in the Foyer before 8 on a Sunday morning. The staff was great and very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I would have given 5 stars but I had to ask 3 times for the air con to be fixed. Apart form this the hotel is great. Good bar/pool area, lovely new rooms, good breakfast and great staff. Would defiantly use again.

Room Tip: Book a superior room as they are at the back of the hotel and are very new.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abainborough
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were able to check in a little earlier than usual and met with a warm welcoming smile from Receptionist... then introduced to the GM who even walked us up to the Executive Suite... what luxury! Beautiful open plan large room with clever divider in the form of a swiveling TV . Stunning bathroom with a huge bath which looked very inviting after a long trip. Views of Table Mountain were exquisite and it was great being able to watch the locals go about their daily business from the balcony. Great Magic in the Air which Cape Town is famous for. Staff were courteous and went out of their way to help... Karen, Food and Bev Manager even printed a map of a couple of places we inquired about which saved us a lot of time. One night was all we had time for, but it was most enjoyable and would def recommend this hotel for families as well as business stay. Tracey I

Room Tip: balcony overlooking Table Mountain
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Having lived in Europe for the past 6 months, I returned to South Africa to visit my parents who live in Kleinmond, and was fortunate enough, to stay at my favourite boutique hotel in the suburbs … The Cape Milner. It is not always easy to find a true ‘gem’ of a hotel, but The Milner is mine one and my best kept secret. Check in was a breeze, (thanks Kim) and my corner room on 4th floor was quiet and offered great views over the suburbs. Breakfast was more than anyone could possibly want to eat. The hotel has recently launched a new menu and wine list and one not to be disappointed with. I can highly recommend the ‘Persian Chicken Fillet’ and Berry Cheese Cake Pavlova. Thanks Chef James, you and your team can be proud of the new menu and I look forward to seeing what’s new next time I am in the country. I think what made my stay so pleasant once again, would have to be the tentative staff. They are so professional and passionate about what they do, it shows in each and every little aspect. Special mention to Arthur, who became my ‘personal’ waiter during my stay. Thanks for the great service and always keeping my glass of Chardonnay topped-up. I can highly recommend a stay at The Cape Milner. I will be back without a doubt ….

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MishMashJohannesburg
KatieP83, Director of Sales at Cape Milner, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on The Cape Milner. We honestly believe that The Cape Milner offers a great boutique option in a wonderful location in the heart of Tamboeskloof nearby City Centre and Waterfront. We are delighted that you have taken the time to identify some of our loyal staff members and their personal attention to service. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit to Cape Town.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel is a bit far from town but has the advantage of being in the "shadow" of Table Top Mountain, But that's the good news. Someone needs to get hold of this hotel by the scruff of the neck. Within about a minute of being shown into our room, I noticed three things wrong - the shower door would not shut properly, which meant the wet stone tiles instantly became a potential death trap. I heard other guests make a similar complaint. The window blind would not roll up because the pull chain had come off its roller ( I repaired this myself) and, finally, one of the lightshades was broken. Does this hotel have no one doing routine maintenance inspections? I just couldn't be bothered to make a complaint. The room itself was quite large and well furnished but let down by these niggling faults. Same story in the restaurant, where the food was good on one night but awful on another. Erratic service, missing cutlery and the dessert ice cream was not replaced for a full 30 minutes after it ran out. No one was was anticipating problems, whether in the restaurant or the rooms. The hotel's piece de resistance was to give our group of 20 key cards on our arrival, none of which worked. We were told we had our rooms until noon on our morning of departure - but were were then all locked out at 11am, and had the hassle of complaining to reception. I heard a member of management tell one guest that a meeting was being held that very week to discuss problems - not before time ! This hotel is not beyond redemption but someone needs to kick **** fast. On a positive note, our farewell dinner in a sideroom was excellent. Great food, plenty of choice, and A1 servie. Maybe someone had already started kicking ****, as they say in the States.

Room Tip: Away from the busy main rod outside, if possible
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple