“student residence in disguise”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge
Ranked #58 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
london, uk
“student residence in disguise”
Reviewed August 2, 2008

This hotel was recommended to me by STA Travel, which was the only travel agents I had access to at the time (I was travelling around SA). I realised why this is when I arrived. This is essentially a student residence and was full of north american students when I was there, to the point that I felt quite aware that I was one of the only non-students at breakfast in the mornings.
Rooms are basic, although clean and I had a nice view, but with thin walls. I could hear people shouting and running through the corridors late at night.
The hotel was one of the cheapest I could find, althugh for a little bit more money, I would have gotten a genuine hotel with more atmosphere.
The location is "great" if you want to stay right in the VA Waterfront. But remember that this is tourist central through and through, and you will not experience any genuine culture here. It's packed full of soul-less tourist restaurants and trinket shops.
I regretted not selecting a hotel in Camps Bay or even elsewhere in city centre.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — the fact that it is a student residence
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire, England
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Ex prison, so bit of history here - stayed here for 2 nights and could not believe how close to the waterfront it is for the money :o) Views over table mountain while eating breakfast. An all you can eat breakfast buffet and basic but comfortable rooms. Really good value - couldn't find another hotel anywhere near the price around the waterfront area.

• Liked — breakfast and stunning location
  • Disliked — bathroom was a bit basic
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Hampshire
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The double en-suite rooms are very clean and comfortable. The choice at breakfast and views from the canteen are superb. However, you won't be able to check in until about 16:00, and you have to check out by 10:00. The walls are very thin, so take some ear plugs if you like a lie-in. If we were to return to Cape Town we would stay at this hotel, as it has everything you need at a low price.

• Liked — The distance to the V & A waterfront, and the breakfasts.
  • Disliked — The thin walls and how noisy the cleaners are. They start work at about 08:00 and carry on until 16:30.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wast
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed June 7, 2008

At £40 a night for a single traveller in the middle of winter, I though this hotel - although it is really just student accommodation in basic single rooms - was very expensive for what it was.

It is within walking distance of the V & A Waterfront, but the room, though clean, just reminded me of being in a hall of residence.

There really wasn't anywhere to sit in the evening, and you had to go into the nearby uni cafeteria for breakfast and dinner. They charged £10 for a buffet breakfast, which I thought was a complete rip-off, and the dinner, which I tried twice, was also very expensive and not that good.

Breakwater Lodge seems to charge 4/5* hotel prices for budget accommodation, including expensive rates for internet access.

It was also extremely noisy - the walls were paper thin in true student style. The water went off for a day and half when I was there, and the staff were outraged when I asked for a discount off the bill because of this.

I think you could probably find much better accommodation in Cape Town available for the same price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — functionality of it and noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Forres, Scotland
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Stayed here for 6 nights whilst on a trip with Habitat for Humanity and 19 of my work colleagues, to build homes for local families living in the townships. We had a budget room that shared a shower and toilet with another room. The rooms were adequate and served their purpose for our trip:somewhere to get cleaned up and rest our heads. The shower was powerful, the beds very comfortable with lovely duvets. Tea and coffee tray and a hairdryer were supplied in the rooms. The cleaner came in every day and serviced the room. The hotel gives you access to a free safe which is behind reception. Staff were friendly.
Breakfasts were good and lots of choice. We had dinner in the hotel and it was very nice.

The hotel is a 5 min walk to the V & A Waterfront so it was very handy. It felt safe to walk back to the hotel in the evening but we were advised to go back in a minimum of 2s or 3s.

On the whole if you just need somewhere to rest your head - we were hardly in due to being on a building site from 8am till 4pm then out at night for meals- then this is the place. After seeing how many of Cape Town's Black population live in shacks then this was luxury! If I returned to cape Town I would stay here again but I would book one of the rooms with their own bathrooms.

• Liked — close to the V&A Waterfron
  • Disliked — Bathrooms were small.
  • Stayed May 2008
London
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Ibooked two nights via the hotel website and got a confirmed booking with a reference number. On arriving they had no record of my booking, no trace of the confirmed booking reference number. Luckily persistance and the fact we arrived mid morning (after an overnight flight from London) resulted in a room being found for us in the afternoon. If we'd have arrived in the afternoon I seriously doubt we'd have got a room since the hotel was completely fully booked. I'm not sure we didn;t get a room used by staff memebers.

It seemed everytime we passed reception there were people trying to book in with confirmed reservations which were not honoured. The staff are pleasant but the back office systems don't work.

I suggest if you book via the web you reconfirm directly with the hotel as it seems they are selling rooms themselves which should have been reserved via the head office system.

The room was tiny, cramped and smelled stale,but we were there only two nights.

The location is great, a couple minutes walk from the Waterfront and the hotel rates are the cheapest by far on the Waterfront. For some reason South African hotel rooms are very expensive.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 3, 2008

We (my mother and I) stayed at Breakwater Lodge from 28 April to 2 May 2008, in a double room on the first floor for 360 ZAR per room per night (breakfast excluded). I was a bit skeptic about what we would find at such a low rate, but I was not disappointed at all!

Sure, it is not luxurious at all, but very clean (old fashioned and small, yes) and neat. Comfortable bed, clean linen, tea and coffee everyday.

Hotel personnel were friendly and helpful.

Safe location, safe to walk to and from the Waterfront even after dark.

There are lounges with a fridge shared with other guests.

Really, if you have a problem with this hotel, then I don't know what you are expecting at such affordable rates in such a perfect location!!

• Stayed April 2008
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Victoria Junction
#53 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town North Wharf
#56 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge

Property: Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge
Address: Portswood Road | V & A Waterfront, Cape Town Central 8001, South Africa (Formerly Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge)
Location: South Africa > Western Cape > Cape Town > Cape Town Central
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#25 Spa Hotel in Cape Town Central
#48 Business Hotel in Cape Town Central
#54 Romantic Hotel in Cape Town Central
Hotel Class:3 star — Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge 3*
Balance modern comfort and and experience soaking in the rich history of Cape Town with a stay at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge. Our hotel in Cape Town, South Africa sits right next to the city's fantastic V&A Waterfront, a minute from restaurants, shops and theatres. We're perfectly poised to give you a feel for the heart of the Waterfront area, just 25 km from Cape Town International Airport. Enjoy easy access to beaches, mountains and city hotspots from our accommodations, as well as convenience getting to Cape Town International Convention Center and Cape Town Stadium. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Marriott, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Protea Hotel Breakwater Cape Town Central