This hotel was part of an old jail dating back to the 1600. It now forms part of Cape Town university. The rooms have been modernised and the furnishings are new. The bathroom consists of a wet room with a separate toilet.
This hotel is only five minute walk from The Water Front and across the road you will find The Aquarium which is well worth a visit. Also here you will find the start of The City Bus Tour cost 150 Rand. (£10.75) with 18 stops that you can get on and off at. The City Tour will take you along the coast via Camps Bay. Well worth it.
Back to the Hotel, there's are two restaurants here the food is very good. Don't forget to ask for your discount card at reception this will entitle you to a discount on food eaten here. There was two of us and we got 50% off our food bill. So two main courses, followed by two deserts and two Gin and Tonics and two beers came to £15.00.
Breakfast is a fantastic array of fresh fruit, cereals and many cooked items. Muffins and various pastries along side four flavours of yogurt.
The staff are very helpful and provided an umbrella when it rained. Table Mountain can be seen from here although it is closed for maintainence from end of July through to the end of August.
The building features some of the old cell doors and door frames.
This is a great place to stay and being so close to everything I would truly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a rich piece of history balancing modern-day comfort when you stay at this hotel right next to Cape Town's fabulous V&A Waterfront. Just a minute away from restaurants, theatres and shops, the hotel is perfectly positioned in the heart of the V&A Waterfront and 25km from Cape Town International Airport. The hotel is also near all the main routes to the beaches, mountain walks and city hotspots as well as the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) and Cape Town Stadium. The hotel is closely linked with the University of Cape Town's Graduate School of Business and features 18 conference venues, four public lounges, gym, SPA, business centre, 24-hour secure parking - 250 parking bays, airport transfers, laundry service. The hotel boasts with 191 modern environmentally conscious rooms with standard rooms, business suites and family units. All rooms are equipped with minibar fridge, free uncapped WIFI, tea/coffee facilities, air-conditioning, LCD flat screen TV, telephone and laptop-friendly electronic safes. Stonebreakers Restaurant offers a la carte & buffet menus daily in a relaxed atmosphere with magnificent views of both the V&A Waterfront and Table Mountain. A selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages is available from our full service bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Marriott, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Odigeo and Hotwire so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfont Breakwater Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Breakwater Cape Town Central
- Breakwater Hotel Cape Town
- The Breakwater Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Cape Town Waterfont Breakwater Lodge South Africa