Ashanti Lodge Gardens Backpackers
$119
$102
Protea Hotels
  • Restaurant
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$172
$149
Hotels.com
The Cape Royale(Cape Town Central)
$143
$187
  • Pool
Hilton Cape Town City Centre(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
$128
$116
Hilton
  • Pool
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$197
$160
Priceline
Blackheath Lodge(Cape Town Central)
$184
$92
Priceline
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel(Cape Town Central)
$752
$427
Hotels.com
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
$733
  • Breakfast included
Cape Grace(Cape Town Central)
$549
$429
Agoda.com
All reviewslong streettable mountainbunk bedsgreat backpackersdorm roomtravel deskswimming poolshared bathroommain buildingnice place to staykloof streetenjoyed my stayguest housegarden routecompany gardensthe location is perfecthostel
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I am a business traveler who has stayed in a wide variety of Cape Town Backpackers. When I could not be accommodated at my usual backpackers I booked into Ashanti. I must say I am absolutely gobsmacked by the value for money. Beautiful old building, classy modern touches, wooden floors, high ceiling, balconies and sparkling blue pool. This place is just amazing compared to some of the other options in central Cape Town. Do yourself a Cavour, stay here! (I will definitely be back frequently this season)

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thanks Charl - see you soon then?

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

A great hostel to enjoy cape town from.

The staff are great and were really helpful in helping us book the baz bus, tours and next hostel.

The bar is good fun and if you buy 3 of a shot you get the 4th free. The promotions on during the world cup linking nations to drinks worked really well.

Double room (shared bathroom) was good and had a sink which is always good if not ensuite.

Also great views overlooking table mountain from the hostel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Rhys
Thanks for your review - glad you enjoyed the shots :-)

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This was my favorite hostel I have ever stayed in. I got a private room so that I would have some place quiet to sleep and privacy, and also because I did not know how comfortable the bunk beds would be in the dorms. In the end, it would have been fine to stay in the dorms. They were spacious and the beds were super comfortable with normal bed mattresses. The hostel was filled with young people from all over the world, most very friendly and talkative. There was a bar there where we could get drinks and food, and you could take your drinks outside, near the pool, your room, or hang out on the balcony if you didn't want to stay in the bar. The music was awesome in the bar too. There were no problems with the music being played all night as some reviews had mentioned. I believe they closed at either midnight or 12:30. The staff at the desk was also very helpful with booking day trips, taxis, etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Smilinsnoboarder
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Hello
Thank you for review of Ashanti and hopefully we will see you back again one day soon!
Safe travels

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Take nothing away from it, this appears to be a very well run backpackers lodge, but it left us feeling a little bit old. We stayed here for two reasons: (1) because we'd splurged a bit on other nights in Cape Town and (2) we we'd heard good things about Ashanti. Location was great, check-in was sweet, the quality of our private room was good - but we arrived tired and needed to sleep. Sleep we didn't get, because the noise from the internal bar went on at full blast until 02h00. This was despite less than a handful of people being at the bar... and the vast majority of guests, like us, having hit the sack. Still, we've rated it highly - it is what it is - a top youth hostel.

Room Tip: Don't book private rooms near the bar if you're planning to sleep early.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi guys
Sorry about the noise - we have been addressing this problem so I will definitely investigate.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Ashant Lodge is in a great location with a beautiful view of Table Mountain (you have really nice view of Table Mountain also frm the toilet :)) The hostel is secure with a code to enter the compound, another code to enter the dorm, personal safes and a locker under the bed. We had a really nice stay. The staff was very friendly, especially the – bartender Mark Barr. He made the stay even better. The only disadvantage was a bad smell in the kitchen.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Hi there!
I am glad that you discovered the "loo with a view" - a lot of our guests don't find it :-)
I wonder why there was a bad smell in the kitchen,.... maybe someone was cooking something strange?