“Good, clean, friendly and fun” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashanti Lodge Gardens

Ashanti Lodge Gardens
London, United Kingdom
“Good, clean, friendly and fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here for 2 and a half weeks, i hadn't planned to stay that long but I loved it so much I didn't want to leave. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The lodge was kept very clean and the food served in the bar was excellent (I enjoyed so many delicious breakfast buffets)!!!
The location is perfect as its only 10 minutes walk to Long Street (if you want to party) but far enough away to give a chilled out vibe, plus the view from the bar is of Table Mountain (a view like that in a hotel would cost you a fortune)!
I thought the cost of a dorm room here was very reasonable and everyone I met who was staying there was really lovely so its a great place to stay when you are travelling on your own. Plus the rooms have excellent lockable storage space and safe deposit boxes.
Overall I would really recommend this to all ages and I would definitely stay there again, I thank you Ashanti for such a good stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello Claire
I am so glad that you had such a great time at Ashanti - great photo of you on our deck too:-)
Hopefully we will see you back again one day.
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Keystone, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I spend 4 nights there and I did not have problems. I stayed there after spend one night in a very bad hostel in Long Street. I slept very well, each guest has one safe and one locker, so you can enjoy your stay without worrying about your stuff. It is very close to Long Street, markets, bus stop. You should try it.

Room Tip: I slept in a room upstairs and I did not have problems to rest.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thanks for your review Eduardo!!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on my own. Was convenient for touring local area. Was well maintained and clean with good garden area. Similarly the other people staying here were very friendly and would congregate in a bizarre small bar area most nights.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for your review Scott. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again one day.
Dover, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

i had the most amazing time here. I stayed here for 12 nights to see as much of Cape Town as i could before I started an overland tour.
There was a bit of a mix up at the beginning as I was meant to be staying at Green Point as this is where my tour started. However the pick up service bought me to Gardens. The staff were really helpful and changed my booking over to Gardens as it has more of an atmosphere, a better chance to meet people, a bar, a travel desk and it was cheaper! They organised a transfer free of charge to Green Point for the last night ready for my tour the next day.
The rooms are spacious, and a really good way to meet people. The kitchen was a good size and was really clean and a good place to socialise with other travellers and gives you chance to exchange stories with each other.
The bar is really cool and they also do amazing food. I felt really welcome here and the staff made me feel really comfortable. I had ordered a sim card to the hostel for when I arrived and they helped me sort it out. The travel desk helped me organise all my tours around and in Cape Town and gave us amazing advise. It is really near to town and the staff helped me organise a bus pass so i could get around quicker. The hostel is really near a supermarket and a short walk away from long street.
I would really recommend this hostel! I had such an amazing time and they made me feel really welcome and safe despite being a 19 year old girl by myself in Africa for the first time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Hello Danielle
Thanks so much for your review. I am glad that you had such a fabulous time with us and hopefully see you back again one day?
Regards, Lisa
Bloubergstrand, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is one of the oldest backpackers in Cape Town and well established. The place is very busy and so the service is not very personalised. We had a double room around the pool area, which all sounds very nice. That is until drunken revellers get home at whatever time of the early hours and decide to carry on partying around and in the pool. Despite plenty of signs up asking for guests to respect a 'no noise' policy after midnight (I think), in our experience this was definitley not the case, as we had to get up several times to ask people to be quiet or to move their party somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep ask for a room anywhere except by the pool area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JoCharnock
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hello Jo
Thank you for your review - it seems we have had a few issues with noise around the pool recently and I thank you for bringing it to my attention again.
I will make sure that the night manager is stricter.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night. the building itself had character and is quite pretty. The room we stayed in was filthy. Feathers on the bedspread, birds nesting in the open area. Not a bad place, maybe we just had a bad experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi there!
Thank you for your review. I am amazed that you had a "filthy" room - we pride ourselves on being extremely clean and never have complaints regarding our room. I would really appreciate it if you could contact me personally to tell me which room you were in so that I can follow it up.
I know that there are a couple of pigeons outside but I didn't realise that they were a problem. I will address it immediately.
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here on 4 separate occasions...I'm a young traveller and an African junkie..this is the most ideal location for any person who is looking to meet like minded travellers..cool bar ,cool pool, great views, great balcony to sit out and read and drink a beer..I will be back for a 5 th stay some time I hope

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
LisaMas0n, Owner at Ashanti Lodge Gardens, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We look forward to seeing you back again Conor!