“Second visit - just as wonderful as the first”

The Table Bay Hotel
Ranked #18 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We visited the Table Bay Hotel 2 years ago and loved it. It was just as nice this time around. The location is so close to the V & A waterfront which has lots of restaurants and shops. The view was fabulous - both the waterfront and Table Mountain could be seen from our room. The food (we had daily breakfast, high tea and also dinner at Camissa) was delicious. Altogether a very nice visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robyne W

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We had a 3 day stay at the Table Bay, the check I was quick after a very long flight and our bags arrived at our room as we did. The rooms have great views we overlooked the ocean and Robbin Island. The room is spaciousness and well presented with all the facilities you would expect from a leading hotel. The common areas are very opulent. Breakfast was. The best I have ever had the choice on the buffet was amazing but I choose to have an omelette made by the chef it was the best I have ever had.

We wanted to visit Table mountain and the concierge was very helpful she arrange transport and bought tickets for us to avoid the queues.

You could not find a better location In Cape Town I would throughly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Was it the room with a view or the unbelievable brunch? Maybe it was the comfortable room or the easy dinner? Could it have been the accommodating waitress with that great smile and laugh? Or was it the convenience of walking to all we needed? I guess it was all of the above. Add the anticipating service from all of the staff, the 5km running track that loops the Waterfront and the environment that allowed for total relaxation, and her birthday wish and my gift of The Table Bay was perfect!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level with a view of the ocean...very nice!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

From the moment we checked in we were made feel welcome like we were VIP's. Straight away, the Duty Manager came to greet us and invited us to have a cup of coffee, whilst we had to wait for our room to be ready. We arrived around 10AM, so we were surpised to hear this as we didn't expect our room to be ready at all. We just wanted to leave our car and luggage and get on our way.

After about 10 minutes waiting the Duty Manager collected us and showed us our room. In the mean time a porter would go to our car and collect our luggage for us. The room was stunning with a view over the Bay and Robben Island. We asked him several questions and he made some recommendations with reservations for us to have dinner (actually he made a recommendation for every everning and we accepted each of them, see my other reviews).

The room itself was spacious, clean and equipped with everything we needed for our stay. The bathroom has a separate toilet and shower and a bath. The bedroom has a kingsize bed and still plenty of space to walk around. Then there was a separate sitting area with lounge chair and sofa and everything was perfeclty maintained in each room.

We straight away left to discover Cape Town and when we came back there were all kinds of gifts for us (as we were on our honeymoon). There was a bottle of sparkling wine with sweets, some fruit juice and a box of nougat. In the evening after we came back from dinner there were rose petals aorund the bed and water and nougat on the nightstands.

The bed was very comfortable and we managed to sleep very well and long without being woken up by noise, which had happened at other locations previously. On the first night we did have a cricket in our room, which I managed to catch on the second day. When I called to get it picked up, a three man brigade came with ladder and torchlight. We found this very funny especially since I had caught it already which surprised them even more.

The staff was very friendly and for a five star hotel not stiff at all. They were couteous and proffesional, but you could also have a good laugh and chat with them. One evening we were waiting for our taxi when a car pulled up to be parked. The owner handed over the keys to the porter. When she was out of sight, the porter got in, but before he could drive off another jumped into the front-passenger seat and they made a spin aorund the square before parking the car. We had a big laugh about this. When we left, we handed out some generous tips to everyone as a thank you for their great care and moods, it really made our stay extra special.

The breakfast buffet was one of the largest I had ever seen. It really had everything you could imagine. There was a fruit juice bar with more than 10 juices, huge selection of cheeses, things to make your own salad, curry and sushi, different kind of eggs, kippers, fruits, breads and so on. I could go on, the buffet was amazing. The only disappointment (like everywhere else) was the coffee. We never managed to get a decent cup of coffee, so most of the times we opted to have tea with our breakfast.

Location is perfect, you are right on the Waterfront, meters away from the mall and area with all restaurants and café's. Everyting is in walking distance Robben Island ferry, Two Oceans Aquarium, tour-bus, etc. Once we were in Cape Town, we didn't need our car anymore. The building itself is also amazing with a big seal outside on the Waterfront side. This same feature is visible everywhere in the hotel, even on the mixer tap in the bathroom.

On the day we were supposed to depart, we were offered a late check-out so that we could have a massage in the hotel and then shower and get changed in peace before departing back home.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ddoron
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I work within the luxury hospitality sector and I do not often have the chance to sample other establishments that are not within my own group.

My visit to Cape Town was exemplary from the organisation by Grovesnor Tours who took care of my 'meet and greet' at the airport, to the Table Bay Hotel, located on the Waterfront of this beautiful city.

The staff at Table Bay were exceptionally helpful and professional. Staff were courteous and provided solutions to any and all of my questions. The concierge desk and front reception were very helpful.

Food and beverage service was very good and the breakfast experience, although busy at times, was also very good. I did not dine at the hotel other than in-room which was also very good indeed.

Laundry, room service, cleaning, everything was very well done. I had a great massage (back problem) from Rob and after that had not a twinge for the rest of the week. Good job Rob!

Cape Town is a marvellous place to visit and the options of activities are indeed remarkable. I rented a car with Avis and I recommend if doing this service you book through the concierge and have the car delivered to you at the hotel to save the hassle of going down town and queuing. Drives to the Cape and Chapman's Peak are a great day out and hiking up to Signal Hill for some parasailing with FlyTandem (go to Facebook). I also played at Mowbray Golf Cours which was ok but I know there are better courses out of town. However everyone was extremely friendly. And of course the wine......:)

I highly recommend Table Bay as your stay point in Cape Town and I am myself will look forward to returning to my Table Mountain view room in the spring.

Room Tip: 334.... great views of Table Bay
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

The 5 star Table Bay Hotel in Cape Town is a great and luxureous location. The views from the rooms (on Table Mountain) are spectacular. The amount and diversity of food at the breakfast buffet are endless: from sushi to pancakes. You can buy your ticket for the cable car to the top of the Table Mountain in the lobby (and they check the weather conditions as well. When there is to much wind the cable car is not operating). Hotel is just a 10 minutes walk from gateway to Robben Island. Lots of restaurants close by.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MCC38
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had two rooms and although breakfast was a busy time there was a buffet that worked well for us. The hotel was beautiful and the security was good. The staff was attentive and the rooms were bright and clean. We could walk to tons of restaurant choices. The views from the rooms are the best in the area.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends