“Warm and hospitable service, nice rooms and great location”

The Table Bay Hotel
Ranked #16 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed June 30, 2013

A trip to South Africa would not be complete without Cape Town. This happy city on the southern most tip of Africa is home to many sights [Winery visits, museums and the Cape of Good Hope, Military museum, Penguin colony] and adventures [Dune surfing, shark cage diving]. While here, we made the Table Bay Hotel our home for 4 nights.

Our very first impression of the hotel was that it felt like a Disneyland hotel. The bell hops are efficient in taking care of your luggage. After walking through a glass house tunnel [that shields you from the cold wind coming in from the sea], we entered the grand lobby. Check in was efficient and once formalities were completed, we were shown to our room.

The hotel has WiFi in the lobby and individual WiFi access for each room. I thought this was pretty nifty. Our room was on the second floor, right next to the lifts. The lifts are quite quiet and we did not hear anything from its working parts. But as our room was at a cross junction near the lifts, we could hear people talking and walking by, and our first morning, we could hear two male housekeepers talking loudly while folding sheets near our door.

That aside, our room had a King sized bed, with an seating area and TV no.2. The sofa was converted to a pull out bed for my son. Our room had a great view of the sea, and the sunrise. In front of our King bed was TV no.1 with lots of cable channels. A large wardrobe to store your luggage, clothes and shopping, and also includes the in-room safe. The bathroom had separate shower, and toilet, and a bathtub. Around the single sink were the after shower products from Molton Brown; while the shower was also stocked with Molten Brown products.

One of the days at the hotel, I misplaced my wedding ring in the room. However hard I looked, I could not unearth it. In the morning, I mentioned it to the Front Desk to inform Housekeeping to keep an eye out for it. After breakfast, I was approached by the Duty Manager, Jason, and he assured me that his team and security would look for it. By the end of the day, I saw my ring on the study table. I was extremely thankful for their sincerity in looking for my ring and finding it!

Breakfast was at the Atlantic restaurant where the buffet spread was just huge! The staff recognised us by our second day and service was very good. It's interesting to see hotel guests from all over the world staying here - USA, China, Hong Kong, India, to name a few.

Security is not an issue and it is part of the V&A waterfront shopping development. It's fairly central to the airport - only about 20-30 minutes away. If you are a runner, you can run along the waterfront towards the Cape Town Stadium [where the World Cup was held], and on to Beach Road meeting other joggers on a Sunday morning.

We found to the Table Bay Hotel to be a warm and hospitable place, with lots of things to do close to the hotel. Rooms are quite nice and service is excellent!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jamie575
TableBayHotel, General Manager at The Table Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We have some exciting developments planned for our bar and restaurant and hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is right on the V&A waterfront in Cape Town. The lead upto the hotel is impressive as is its entrance, from the moment I stepped into this hotel I knew I was going to enjoy my stay. All the staff were very professional and helpful, the hotel was very secure and my room was immaculate. From the local sweets to the amenities in your bathroom, everything had been thought of. The bar was very welcoming with lots of choice in food and drink. The breakfast was the largest I have ever experienced with quality fresh food to suite all tastes and every morning the choice to sit inside or outside looking along the V&A waterfront towards table mountain was excellent. The tea lounge the restaurants all excellent. The hotel is on the V&A waterfront so a large selection of restaurants and entertainment is also close by. The hotel also has access to the shopping center. Can't fault this hotel excellent stay, I will be back again. Thank you Table Bay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Table Bay three times. Every experience was remarkable. The room, the service, the view and the food are the best. I love the adjacent restaurants and walking on the V & A Waterfront was lovely, as always. I will always go back to the Table Bay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

from the moment you pull up at the Table Bay, the car door opened, your car whisked away, you are escorted to the foyer, checkin, done and the magic begins, EVERYONE is geared for your comfort..... nothing is left to chance.....whether a simple room or the Presidential suite......high tea in the lounge a must.......breakfast in the atlantic....best possible.....it is the only place to be, we return again and again, since it opened......5 stars do not seem enough. did I mention, they have a jazz luncheon on Sundays, always a treat...speaking of which...give a yorself a treat... Table Bay Hotel its a way of life, Maureen Summerfield

Room Tip: All accommodation is up to the individual...sea facing mountain facing, a simple room or the suites...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in May 2103 . I must say this hotel has a wonderful location. Most rooms have bay view and this almost connected to huge market place (mall) , hustling and bustling. Service, comforts in the room were very good , except may be the food which was bit expensive.

Room Tip: Pl ask for a bay view, u have choice between bay and table mountain view, I guess bay view is bett...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 100,229,301
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel with great restaurants excellent service and next to the premium shopping area. We had views of table mountain which is great. Nice room, excellent bed and bathroom. Easy to walk to the best of seafood restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The whole feel of this hotel is of an international 5 star. Professional, friendly, high prices. So, why not a 5 star rating? Because looking closer you recognize the Sun International Las Vegas signature. The "old colonial" look works if you keep a distance. But actually it is all new. The worst being the plastic palm trees in the lounge. Come on guys, saving on water? But although it might not be as authentic as The Mount Nelson it is still a very comfortable 5 star hotel with all its facilities.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Joop C
TableBayHotel, General Manager at The Table Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Joop C,

We are delighted to hear of your memorable experience and value your feedback regarding the trees in The Conservatory.

Your comments are well received and I am thrilled to inform you of the tree removal which will happen in the coming weeks. We look forward to welcoming you back to our new and improved space once our new look has been completed.

Sherwin Banda, General Manager