“Could n't ask for more”

Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Cumbernauld
“Could n't ask for more”
Reviewed December 30, 2009

You really could n't ask for more this has to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff were amazing. The Locations was fantastic, rooms out of this world. What more could you ask for! If you are looking for somewhere special look no further.

• Stayed November 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I would go back every week if I could.

The location is fabulous - right on the V&A waterfront; the rooms are spacious and stylish with great amenities; great dining options and outstanding service.

We went with our extended family for a long weekend and the hotel accomodated an age range of 5 to 70. Very kid friendly with afternoon drop-off (!) story hour and/or gingerbread decorating time, (so mom & dad can hit the bar), DVD rental complete with popcorn and some kind of goodie delivered to the room nightly.

There's also a whiskey bar in the hotel with the largest collection of whiskies in the southern hemisphere (or so they say), decent restaurant with a nice breakfast service and pool. My only gripe would that the pool was a bit chilly. But again, what service - evian and fruit plus the staff pulled out the pool toys for our daughter.

We received an upgrade and a complementary picnic basket - nice touch.

I really can't rave enough about this place - just lovely.

• Stayed November 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I wrote a review last year and have to write another as we are still at the Cape Grace. What can I say? This place is, quite simply, perfection. It is a world class establishment where service is beyond compare. Every member of staff is dedicated to one thing- service, service, service...and boy, does this pay off!! You walk in and are greeted by name with smiles all round. Nothing is a problem. To call it a five star hotel is an insult. This is six star plus! The look is plush, but not stuffy. The rooms are top-notch; every little detail is thought of - even liquid wash for your own personal laundry is provided in the bathrooms. We are just blown away by the kindness and wonderful service. Nigel Pace is the General Manager and he can be proud of his team. You do us and South Africa proud! Judging from the comments we hear each day from the many overseas guests, the hotel can hold its head high. Thanks for a wonderful vacation. We'll be back again and again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 25, 2009

We booked this hotel last minute after an upleasant experience at another hotel and Cape Grace surely didn't disappoint. Since it was our wedding anniversary we got upgraded to a corner suite with a large outside deck overlooking the harbour. There was a small bath robe and slippers for my 2 year old son and the bathroom was prepared with all sorts of fun toys for him. There was also a bottle of wine and sweets in the room when we checked in. The suite was very tastefully decorated and we were really impressed.

Every service was prompt, professional and perfect. The hotel arranged a lovely dinner reservation for our anniversary, they took my rental car for cleaning before we checked out and I could keep going on and on. When we borrowed a dvd from the front desk to watch in the room they even sent up a basket of complimentary popcorn to our room.

Free internet was available on the ground floor which was nice and if you're a whiskey lover like me you should try the whiskey tasting in the bar. For only 220 ZAR you get a private tasting with a lot of very nice whiskeys together with cheese, chocolate and other nibbles, this is done with the bar manager who is truly passionate about whiskey. I loved it and it was amazing value for money! I would love to stay here again!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed December 14, 2009

The staff is incredibly friendly and efficient without overdoing it. Beautiful location and lovely rooms. The whiskey bar is a highlight! We stayed there the first night of our honeymoon and they went out of their way to make us feel special and welcomed with gifts, treats and complimentary messages. We could not have been more impressed with our experience at Cape Grace.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Without a doubt, this hotel deserves a good rating, but my experience was both a notch below my expectations and a notch below what I've come to expect from properties that attain a score of 95 or above in Conde Nast Gold List ratings. That score is lofty and elusive for most of the world's properties and I've come to associate it with virtual perfection, which wasn't my Cape Grace experience.

When I pulled up to the hotel, driving a Benz rental car, I had to get out and engage the doormen, though they were only chatting among themselves and not busy, and much of my stay mirrored that service flaw.....no dinner menus available at 6:00 pm, no one at the travel desk to answer questions, no one at the cashier's desk at check-out time, generally amazing rooms, but marred with a few cheap elements not customary to ultra-luxury properties.

On the positive side, the decor of the common areas is outstanding, the food at Signal absolutely superb, the spa service wonderful, the baths luxurious and faultless, and the responses to my concerns gracious and timely. All in all, the hotel is very good but as a Virtuoso traveller, service just fell too far short when one considers the high price point of the room and the comparatively low cost of staffing in South Africa. My experience may well have been a rare hiccup, but I'd choose another property when returning to Cape Town....perhaps the Twelve Apostles, especially since I preferred the coasts and beaches to the city.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Telford
Reviewed December 3, 2009

My wife and I have stayed in some great hotels around the world and this is right up there. The rooms were beautiful and full of what you would expect. The Spa was excellent (we had 2 massages in our stay - with Table Mountainin the background) The location couldn't be better - on the Waterfront but also a 10 minute walk from the City Centre. However, the best thing about this hotel was the service. From the moment we checked in, every staff member said 'Good Morning' to you - we had a 'guest liason' manager who organised everything for us with no fuss and utmost professionalism. If you like luxury then this is your place!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple