“Didn't want to leave”
Review of Cape Grace

Cape Grace
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed June 3, 2012

What a hotel! From my stunning, spacious room with the Charlotte Rhys bathroom amenities to the breathtaking view of Table & Lion Mountains...I could have stayed for weeks. The location is perfection - steps away from the Waterfront where one can wine and dine and catch all the boats, buses and helicopters for any tour.
The breakfast buffet was perhaps among the best I have ever had and the afternoon tea service was memorable- better than the Ritz in London!
The staff is gracious, smiling and goes out of their way to please.
The Spa is gorgeous, offering an array of treatments and the gym is open 24hrs.
I cannot say enough about this hotel!!! I can't wait to return.
Thank you so much for taking such good care of me!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Anne M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Everything about the Cape Grace speaks of service and luxury. From the moment we were greeted at the airport by their driver, the experience was everything that you expect from a luxury hotel. Some particular notables:

I've never stayed in a hotel where the dining venues were so enjoyable that I did not want to leave the hotel! Whether it was breakfast in the Signal Restaurant, tapas in Bascule Bar, or a light dinner in the library, every meal was exquisite.

The rooms are adequately sized but the bathrooms are HUGE marble affairs with a separate shower, a deep soaking tub, a separate water closet, and two sinks.

The car service is a huge convenience and available to take visitors distances that cover the main attractions (You'll want to rent a car or take a tour to get to the peninsula or wine country.)

One note: I'd not pay extra for a room with a patio again. Although the view was lovely, when you sat down, most of the view was blocked by patio walls that were high and wide. But it did not matter - the hotel and surrounding area were so nice, we did not miss sitting on the patio.

The Cape Grace is elegant and comfortable at the same time. If I'm ever in Cape Town again, I'll certainly stay here.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a patio. When you sit down, you lose most of the view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

From the moment we arrived on the property, we were treated to superb service, food and amenities. This hotel has the best concierge service I have ever had the pleasure to use. We had emailed ahead and they arranged two days of the most wonderful day tours anyone could enjoy. The restaurant staff is so helpful and friendly and accomodating. They would have my diet coke on the table ready for me after our first meal there. Hats off to the Cape Grace!!!!

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room in this supreme location.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2012

On the 4th of may, my cousin and I checked into the Cape Grace Hotel after a very long plane ride. We were personally escorted to our room by the manager on duty, shown all th amenities, and then before we knew it, the luggage arrived. The room had a large entrance space including the ubiquitous mini bar, but nice tea and coffee making facilities. The coffee was actually an individual one cup filter type, and there was always some biscotti with it. Then there was a dressing room...two closets separated by a dressing table, and a separate bath including a room with a toilet, double sinks, a luscious tub and a two headed shower. Everything about the room was spacious and comfortable and luxurious.
The hotel has a charming library where you may visi with friends, have a light meal or even read a book. The hotel also offered us the services of a car and driver, complimentary, and off we went to table Mountan. Breakfast is n experience in delicious creativity.
While we didn't use the spa or the pool, both looked inviting. And the location of the hotel...superb.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank grannynanny
Reviewed May 25, 2012

A fabulous night spent at the Cape Grace. Splendor at its best!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I concur with all the positive comments and this is arguably the best hotel that I've stayed in - I have stayed in 'over the top' good hotels but in terms of understated elegance this one is tops. Hats off to Nqobile (The Library) for superb service, and to the breakfast staff, also to ?Faith who checked me in. I was so impressed by the efficiency. My one tiny gripe that usually can ruin a good stay: I was enjoying a glass of port in the Library and one waitress paced up and down past me and a friend that I had not seen in a year. Well a second came by and said quite blandly: "Is one of you a guest here." I would rather she asked for my room number because the attitude was as if I had walked off the street and poured myself a glass of port. Meanwhile, foreign guests were trooping in, seating themselves and they were handed menus - no questions asked. I found this severely annoying especially in the presence of a guest. However, Nqobile's superb service the next night made up for any inconvenience. This should not detract from the 99.9% I give the hotel for efficiency and breakfast in bed -- a treat and at no extra cost.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the Cape Grace at the start of our honeymoon and the experience was fantastic. The staff are very professional but friendly and went out of their way to ensure that everything we needed was provided for. We were offered an excellent rate to upgrade to a penthouse suite and this proved to be worth the extra cost. The rooms were very spacious and had some lovely old colonial style furnishings. In addition it had a jacuzzi out on the balcony overlooking the marina and table mountain which was spectacular. Everyday we came back to a small surprise gift such as chocolates or a fruit basket which was a nice touch - I'm not sure if this came with the penthouse or the honeymoon? Food at the hotel was very good with a great range of options for breakfast and on the one occasion when we had dinner it was excellent and not over priced.

As we were staying for four nights the location suited us perfectly as a base to do some sightseeing and to enjoy the amenities of the waterfront. It is a short safe walk to the aquarium (from where you can also catch the hop on/off tourist bus) or the shops and restaurants of the Victoria and Alfred centres.

• Stayed: May 2012