“Awesome Evening Out”

The Rockwell Dinner Theatre
Ranked #93 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Enveloped in the quaint decor of the Cape, international and local guests of all ages, whilst enjoying a scrumptious buffet and Cape wines, will be transported into the world of entertainment featuring our production "Kaapse Stories from the Mother City", written and directed by award winning Basil Appollis, we meet a Cape family in a show filled with the humor, intoxicating rhythm and soulful songs unique to Cape Town. Forged from the hardships and misfortunes of the past, emerges a triumphant community - the original 'Rainbow Nation'.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Awesome Evening Out”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

An absolutely awesome experience - the show "Kaapse Stories" was packed full of talent & was a top notch interactive play, the atmosphere was incredibly friendly, the food was stunning (do yourself a favour & make sure you sample the chicken & prawn curry), the service was professional & pleasant ......if I had any complaints it would be that the evening seemed to fly by. Will most certainly be going back again.......an evening out that should be on everybody's list.

• Visited October 2013
Germandt G, Public Relations Manager at The Rockwell Dinner Theatre, responded to this review, January 28, 2016
I apologise for only getting to responding to this review now, but I guess late is better than never!

Thank you for these kind words lulusamantha - I know it's a bit late, but you know we value your input at all times!

G

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Kaapse Stories and a Jolly Good Time”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I went to see Richard's Supper Stage and Bistro's Kaapse Stories last night (24/10/2013) and I can honestly say that was the most fun I have had in ages! The performances were brilliant, with each song being as beautiful as the next. Whether it was the touching "Beautiful" between the bergies, or Papa's "She" (which literally brought a tear to my eye), Ruth's booming renditions of Shirley Bassey or the Parisian-inspired cabaret number, or the soulful operatics of Gerhard and the security man, the talented artists always managed to entertain and awe with their technique and god-given skills. The chefs prepared a five star meal, and the hosting staff were courteous and accommodating to a tee. The piano and banjo/guitar player provided ensured that there was never a moment left unfilled with some of the best music the world has known. However, the best part for me personally has to be the ongoing interaction between the performers and the audience, with continual discourse (in the truest sense, as dialogue was often given as well as received from both sides) being established early on, both in a verbal and physical sense - there was nothing I loved more than getting to dance with the cast on stage. . what a blast! So thank you to all at Richard's Supper Stage and Bistro for giving us one of the best nights of our lives. We will see you again soon.

Dear Jade,

I have shared your lovely comments with the rest of the team and we hope to see you here at Richard's again soon!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Simply the Best”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Wow, wow, wow - what an amazing and awesome evening... I can highly, highly recommend Richard's Supper Stage & Bistro... The food was too die for... The show was beyond awesome, just sssoooo much talent... I will definitely be going back and I can't wait...

Dear Bridgette,

Thank you for these very kind words which I will surely share with the rest of the team!
Cape Town
“Something unexpected”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

It was pure chance that led to one of the best evenings out I have had in a long time. I had driven past this venue on numerous occasions but had never had an inkling as to the surprise that awaits you when you climb those steps for the first time.

The welcome extended by all the staff upon arrival is excellent, the décor oddly quirky. The show we attended was 'n Kaapse storie (A Cape Town story). It is loosely based on memories of some of the original residents of district 6 in Cape Town. For locals who know the history of the country it is a poignant reminder of how some lives were irrevocably changed by some decidedly dodgy politics.

A meal is served along with the show and the portions can best be described as being on an industrial scale. The theme is pukka Cape Malay style cooking and depending on personal taste's it is pretty damn good - the snoek pate borders on a religious experience...

The show itself is part narrative, part comedy and part musical, all woven together in an irreverent romp that had the audience in stitches. There are twists and turns in the performance that keeps it going, culminating in a totally unexpected scene. To elaborate further would be to deprive you of a seriously surreal turn of events.

There are some who have slated this production. Having been thoroughly entertained I find myself wondering whether we are commenting on the same venue. I had a damn good time as did my partner. The venue was packed and listening to some of the post performance comments it was quite apparent that the vast majority of those there felt exactly the same way.

Would I go again? yeah, I reckon so.

• Visited October 2013

We appreciate the feedback - and we are very glad that you left here feeling surprised!
I will share the comments with the rest of the team!
Paarl
“Great evening out!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

What a wonderful experience! Had a lovely dinner and the staff really made us feel welcome. I think the current show is a definite must for all international visitors to South Africa as it will really bring them close to our super special South African culture! If you consider what you pay to see a show and then combine it with a lovely meal (all in one entertainment..) the price is not too high. The show was so relaxing and I appreciated the interaction with all the actors. Wonderful talent out there!

• Visited October 2013
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Dear Bokland,

Thank you for the wonderful words of encouragment! Yes, we agree we have some wonderful talent in this country. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. It is much appreciated and I have shared it with the rest of the team.