“Fantastic Hike, Fantastic Guide”
Review of Mother City Hikers

Kasteelpoort Route: Table Mountain Hike from Cape Town
$162.56*
Table Mountain Private Hike Tour of Kasteelpoort Route from Cape Town
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer full or half day hiking trips on Table Mountain which was just named 'One of the New Seven Wonders of Nature'. We tailor make our routes to suit each client's ability. Whether you are looking for adventure or just a walk away from it all we will be happy to guide you and get you back in nature.
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Hike, Fantastic Guide”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Lauren was recommended to us by our tour provider Rhino Africa and she was phenominal! She responded very quickly to my inquiry and sent me a few hikes that she thought would be appropriate - we choose Skelton Gorge and it was perfect. We were picked up at our hotel and started the hike in Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (beautiful). Her knowledge of the flora and fauna as well as the area's history is immense but she is also fun, personable and made the hike truely enjoyable. She also provided a great picnic lunch and lots of good conversation. It was one of the highlight's of our trip to South Africa - and definitely the best way to tackle Table Mountain!

Visited April 2013
mothercityhiker, Owner at Mother City Hikers, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review and for your kind words. It is indeed a much better idea to have a qualified guide than to try and do it alone. I'm so glad you were able to come on a hike and have the experience. It was great to show you around so you could get your bearings as you first arrived in Cape Town. I hope the rest of your trip is just as fantastic! All the best and hope to see you again!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Highly recommended hike up Table Mountain”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Lauren retrieved me at may hotel for an amazing hike up table mountain. The hike was stunning, and Lauren made it even better with her knowledge and encouragement. She seemed to know everything I asked her. I can see why hiring official SA guides is so important, the experience really is much fuller with someone so knowledgeable and FUN!

Manhattan, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Only Way to Experience Table Mountain”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After all of the positive reviews on MCH I sent Lauren an email and she did not disappoint.

From the start she was very professional, thorough and responsive. And on the hike she was also very friendly!
I did the India Venster route as well and it was incredibly challenging but I felt like a rock (climbing) star after finishing it. She pushed me, in an enouraging way, had great pacing and instruction and I accomplished so much more than I thought possible.
Not to duplicate what others are saying- but she was also incredibly knowledgable about the flora/fauna and the history of SA in general. Every spectacular view we saw had history and a story to go with it.
Someone had told me the routes were clearly marked and I didn't need a guide to hike TM. I don't agree- especially for a hike as specialized as this one. I plan to be in SA again within the year and I plan to call Lauren!
She was a perfect guide!!

Visited April 2013
mothercityhiker, Owner at Mother City Hikers, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you! It was so nice having you hike with me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and that you found me on Trip Advisor. You are right...going with a guide is a must for a great experience. It just makes it so much more pleasant enjoying the views and learning things along the way without wondering where you are or did you take the right/wrong turn, etc. I hope you will come back to Cape Town and we can do another superb route. Thanks for all your feedback. It is much appreciated. All the best!
Vancouver, Canada
“Totally worth it”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

On March 19th Lauren took me and two others up the India Venster route to the top of Table Mountain. There are several different ways to hike to the top of TM and I'm guessing that this would be one of the most challenging. There were a few small short sections where you were climbing the face of the mountain using solid steel hand holds that had been grouted into the rock. For me this pushed me to the edge of my comfort level (in a good way). The view from the top was epic as expected, and the climb ended up being one of the highlights of my trip. There is NO WAY I could have done this without Mother City Hikers. Lauren, is extremely helpful, knowledgeable and patient. she will recommend the hike that is most suitable for your level to ensure you have a great day. I highly recommend using Mother City Hikers.

Visited March 2013
mothercityhiker, Owner at Mother City Hikers, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review for Mother City Hikers trips. I'm so glad you joined our group and that it was a challenge for you, but a manageable one! India Venster is one of the more adventurous routes but I had no doubt in your abilities as I talked you through some of the parts. It's good to challenge yourself without taking it too far. Little by little you can overcome your fears this way. It was my pleasure to guide you and I hope to see you in Cape Town again one day with the Mrs. Thanks again and all the very best to you.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“India venster hike”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

On a hike up the India venster trail, Lauren made us feel at ease, and inspired. This was not just a regular hike up table mountain, on the contrary - I felt like I was involved in a national geographic documentry. Lauren taught us about the magnificent cape wild life, history of cape town, where to go, what to do. she even took photos of us! our climb up India venster was everything but exhausting. we had short breaks along the way, where she pointed out wild herbs that grow in the table mountain national park, amazing African birds, and we even took photos of indigenous Lizards! Lauren is fun, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable, and always ready to help and answer questions. All in all, I'd have to say that that this was one of my favorite hiking experiences thus far!
THANK YOU LAUREN!

Visited April 2013
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I do. We live in a spectacular place and I hope I did inspire you to get out in the mountains more and get closer to nature. It has so much to offer us daily. Our hike was a great one, adventurous and exciting with taking some time to just sit and enjoy the views around. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review here so other people will be inspired to go up too. I would be happy to take you up again and show you another side of Table Mountain when you like. Take care.