“Five stars hostel!”

The Backpackers in Green Point
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have stayed four nigth in this hostel. The building is really nice and well furnished.There are a pool, a living room and a kitchen where you can prepare a meal by yourself (there is a supermarket in Main Road), while breakfast is incuded in the room rate.
The staff arranges every kind of possible activities, from whale watching to township visit.
It is 15-20 minutes by feet to the Waterfront and few minutes to Main Road (try Hudsons pub for dinner). There is no. 4 private parking lots in front of the hostel and many others along the quiet street.
A special thanks to Amy and Ivor, rare examples of kindness and hospitality, a true reflection of the greatess of South African people.
I really suggest to stay in The B.I.G.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Amelia K, Owner at The Backpackers in Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2014

Dear Emiliano

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We hope you and that lovely lady of yours are doing well.
It was so great to have you guys stay with us and helped us practice our Italian.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

The location was great. a five minute walk to the waterfront and stadium, and a five minute cab into town. beautiful and comfortable hotel with a view signal hill. nice rooms and decor. the best part, though, was the staff. everyone was super friendly, funny, and incredibly useful. sad to be leaving. 10/10 would come here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Amelia K, Manager at The Backpackers in Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2014

Hey Awesome Austin

We miss you at THE B.I.G. Cant get enough of tall, crazy, and kind people who are keen to venture off the beaten track in our little town.
You are welcome back anytime.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

For a backpackers' place, this is luxurious! Swimming pool, wifi, parking (only few spots in front of the hostel), super friendly staff, etc. We got a double room with private bathroom and were very pleased. It's possible to walk to V&A waterfront. Lots of activities are organized and tour ideas given, though we had a rather short stay and knew what to do, it was good to get some advice (visibility at table mountain).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank so_voyage49

Hey guys

We are so glad you enjoyed the B.I.G. and we loved having you over at our place. You were brilliant guests and we are very grateful for your review.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

This hostel is great! We stayed for four nights, but it was way too short. The staff is so lovely and helpfull. They gave us a lot of tips for the rest of our trip. Also the breakfast was good and the beds slept great. The hostel is really clean and close to waterfront. They can arrange trips for you as well. We had an amazing stay at this hostel and we miss the staff allready! So if you're looking for a good stay in capetown, go to this hostel! The location is also great.
Thanks so much B.I.G! We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryanne O

Hey Ryanne and Femke

Hope you girls are doing well.
It was an absolute pleasure having you ladies.
There is always a bed waiting for you guys at THE B.I.G

Reviewed August 9, 2014

My friend and I had two days on the front end of a South African trip and booked B.I.G. for the first three nights. We could not have been more thrilled by the facilities, the value for the money, the location, and most especially the staff. Even before our arrival my slew of emails was met with prompt replies and valuable information for planning our trip. The highlight of customer service was upon returning from our shark cage dive on day two. We had some afternoon hours left and Amy and the rest of the staff eagerly helped us to fill our afternoon and evening. We ended up on the most amazing sunset kayak tour thanks to them. The room was simple but VERY clean. They had outlet adapters for rent (an essential for those who packed the wrong kind). The location is wonderful, walking distance everywhere by day and a short cab ride at night. Quiet, beautiful street which we appreciated and we felt like we we experiencing more of Cape Town than staying on a super touristy street like Long Street. Thank you again to all of you at B.I.G., you've already been recommended to a number of our friends.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room right in the middle of the courtyard and still thought the noise was mini...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ATLNicole

Dear Nicole

How are my two energizer bunnies doing? Summer is coming and there are plenty of activities waiting for you two lovelies.
It was a treat meeting you guys and thank you for sending us the photograph.

Sending kind regards

Reviewed August 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the B.I.G for a week during a month long trip in SA. The staff went out of their way every day to help us set up the things we wanted to do in the city including tours, a car rental and access to public transportation. They know Cape Town and have relationships with local vendors, but do not push a specific itinerary or company. Our double room was very clean. A staff member swept up and made our beds everyday--a first in my experience at a Backpackers. Breakfast of cereal or make your own eggs was one thing we didn't have to worry about each day. There is great food in the neighborhood. In truth, our favorite part about staying there was the friendly Bassett Hounds that spend time on site (We miss you everyday, Sanchez).

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Accommodation was nice and social. A little pricey, but i think thats due to the location. They have a joint TV room, a reading room and communal kitchen. The bathroom was cement, no tiles- so the floor gets cold. The reception provides generous information. I had booked for 3, but only 2 showed up and I was forced to pay for the third under the grounds of "sorry, but because you didn't cancel we couldn't fill the other spot", despite the fact that no other guests had booked into our room (it was a Wednesday). I would have been okay with paying if other people were in our room (it can hold 5). I'm sorry, but lying to get an extra bit of cash is a joke. I'm so disappointed, I won't recommend this place, or stay again, on the grounds that other backpackers didn't do this to us. The lady at night also seemed a tad racist- her comments regarding an incident didn't seem appropriate to foreigners (perhaps it was a bigger deal than we thought).

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Amelia K, Owner at The Backpackers in Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your review. I always take the time to read the experiences of our guests and take their comments to heart. We do our utmost to ensure that our guests are comfortable and happy and I was truly sorry to find that you were dissatisfied.

This will be the first time, however, that I have felt the need to respond as you have made a very serious accusation towards me and my staff.
I have a business that I manage as well as work at daily, so I'm very hands on and the one thing that I can say without any doubt in my mind is that absolutely no staff member including myself is racist. I feel that given the history of this great country we live in, that inferring that someone is a "tad racist" on a platform as big as this, is an extremely dangerous judgment or accusation and defamatory and something that I consider hurtful in the case of any of my staff members.

With regards to our cancellation policy, our policy is stated clearly in our confirmation email which was sent to you before your arrival, as well as on the website or any of the booking channels that we are affiliated with. My staff and myself always go out of our way to market your bed in order to resell it if we have been informed if a guest has to cut their stay short of if there has been a change of plans, so that our guests are not out of pocket. Similarly, if a guest has informed us in good time that they cannot stay for the full booking, we then have enough time to resell the bed and will always refund you. Very often we have turned people away prior to a guests arrival as a result of their confirmed booking. We are not greedy for your money and we certainly did not lie to hold back from giving you a refund. If you would like a refund for the night booked but did not show up for, please contact me on amy@bigbackpackers.co.za.