“Just amazing.”

The Backpackers in Green Point
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just amazing.”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Incredible staff--so helpful, informative and fun. The staff helped us book all of our tours, gave great recommendation for places to check out in the city and just made for great friends on our trip. The hostel itself is in a safe and convenient area. Very clean rooms, nice but small pool, laundry service, rental of anything you need from beach towels to power adaptors. Can't imagine a better place to stay in Cape Town!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Thai first
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Absolutely fantastic stay of one week. The whole crew is super friendly, has lots of hints and tips to go out and have the best time in Cape Town. Thanks very much to Amy, Ivor, Charmaine, Linda and Jess. The Braai is wonderful!!!

Keep up the good spirit and hope to see you soon again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Reims, France
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Best backpacker in cape town. The staff is so kind. Beds in dorm are perfect. It's clean. Towels....etc...everything 's ok...and it is situated in the best location in the city...They can plan your trip and book everything you want to do....and on thursdays you will enjoy their bbq ( braai).

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank eric g
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've backpacked all around the world (31 countries) and this is defiently my #1 hostel. It is how a "hostel" (if that's what you want to call it) should be ran, built, decorated, and priced; wirh the inclusions, and cleanliness should be in the 21st century.

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the BIG recently in Green Point and had a very positive experience. Everyone else who've I've spoken with agreed.

Originally I was going to only stay two nights but I ended up staying five days instead because of how much I liked the place. There's so much to do also!

The staff is super friendly and probably the best part about the place. The location is central for getting to anywhere in Capetown and not having a car is not a problem. They have a little "tuk tuk" taxi that gets you around for just a small tip ($1 maybe). This is a awesome and unique benefit. The rooms were nothing special, some are a little small, but overall they are fine and clean. The facilities of the place are great with a pool, free wifi, free breakfast, awesome lounge/living room, and nice kitchen.

It's not the cheapest hostel in Capetown (or the most expensive) but when you take the amenities into account it's probably one of the best values. Again, I can't stress how friendly and helpful the staff are and how it really makes the place fun, inclusive, and enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Probably the most friendly staff ever. We stayed here for 5 day's and felt right at home. Really clean rooms with a good bed.
Will recommened this to anybody!
They have a braai every thursday with the best meat.
Close to the city and the beach.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This place is perfect! Perfect for solo travellers or groups.

I stayed here for 5 nights in November and was impressed at how the place is managed. I booked my flight at a spur of the moment, so I called BIG if they would have a space for me. I had spoken with Jess over the phone and after our phone conversation she sent me the confirmation e-mail. She had also arranged my airport transfers, so convenient! When I got there, I was welcomed by Ivor who’s also very accommodating. He gave me a tour of the place before he showed me my room. I stayed in the girl’s dorm. The room is spacious enough and has an en suite bathroom. During my entire stay, it got cleaned daily. Each bed is equipped with a night lamp and the bed is comfortable. There were towels available. There is a TV room and library. The lounge/dining hall is spacious. The entire place is chic.

Breakfast is available daily and the variety is very good (I don’t find this in other backpackers place) – eggs, bread, different cereals, fruits, milk, tea/coffee. The kitchen is well equipped and you can use it anytime during your stay. You have to cook your breakfast (if you like eggs) but there are very nice ladies who’ll wash the dishes for you (only for breakfast). As I booked my flight hurriedly, I came unprepared for tours and Jess was so good at organizing this for me. She made my holiday worry-free! All I had to do is wake up before the pick up time. Being a foodie, I visited several restos but my favourite is the one recommended by Linda – The Kitchen.

There is free wifi --- very fast!!! There is a laptop for everyone’s use – available 24/7! The BIG also offers free tuktuk ride around the city and you just have to give some tip to the driver (R10). The tuktuk will take maybe 5 mins to get you to the waterfront.

There is a braai every Monday evening which you can join (very reasonably priced). I recommend that you join the braai, it’s a South African thing. It gives you the chance to meet other guests and share ideas/experiences with them. During my stay, one of the guests is from Spain and he prepared a very good sangria for everyone.

Oh, I must not forget, there are 2 gorgeous dogs at BIG! :)

Excellent staff and homey fee! I felt so much welcome during my entire stay. I will definitely not look for another place on my next visit. This is “THE ONE” for me!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are very good.