“Better than good but very good?”
Review of The Pot Luck Club

The Pot Luck Club
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Really like the ambiance and concept, but found myself still hungry - after sharing 9 'tapas' portion dishes between 3 of us.

Trendy - yes! Pretentious - I think so ..

Only one dish really stood out for me and that was the beef fillet. Had to order a 2nd of those to stave off the hunger - and I'm not a big eater at all.

Perhaps we had a 'bad' night but I can't say I really understand the hype on this one.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,944)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited the new Pot Luck Club at the Old Biscuit Mill in Cape Town's Woodstock last night and it has to rate as one of the best meals I have had in a long long time. This gem of a restaurant is Chef Luke Dale-Roberts (Test Kitchen and ex-La Colombe) latest innovation and he has hit the mark perfectly. The food was extraordinary and I would recommend that any visitor to our city has to visit this wonderful venue and experience the cuisine, atmosphere and panoramic views of Table Mountain and the rest of the city. The venue itself is an experience not to be missed. Stunning open plan show kitchen, chic decor, breathtaking views. The food...in a word , sublime. The dishes have been made from only the freshest and finest ingredients, all sourced locally. The menu is unpretentious and has been masterfully crafted to combine different textures and flavors, yet still keeping the food uncomplicated and simple. Dishes are served up in tapas portions....between myself and my wife, we had about 7 or 8 dishes and each was a taste explosion of different combinations. Our only criticism, if any, was that we felt slightly rushed and the dishes came out very quickly, so we had to ask the chef and our waiter to slow down. Otherwise, it was perfect and I can't wait to go back for more...this is yet another stroke of genius by one of our most celebrated chefs.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went to this new venue on top of the new addition to the Old Biscuit Mill precinct, with much positive anticipation. The view on top is definitely a wow factor, so is the see-thru lift! It reminds me a little bit of the OXO Tower but the atmosphere is probably more authentic here, since it is on a historical site. The welcome and the service are still world class, and the table layout similar to the old place. The menu, if my old brain serves me well, is the same. The prices I think are HIGHER. However, this is where my love starts to dwindle. The micro veg salad was so minute I had to dig deep to find something to eat. There were 2 tiny turnip heads, and about 10 micro leaves! Then the prawn dish arrived. There were 4 of us, and we were told to share all the dishes. But the dish came with only 3 very small prawns! I think in the US they'd call them shrimps. When I complained to the waiter, he came back with one extra piece. the pork belly was still good, but there were 4 little pieces it hardly satisfied our need. All in all, I think the establishment got meaner with the portions and greedier with the prices. It is still a great location with spectacular views. One last complaint - the kitchen smoke and smell permeated the dining area too much.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

What an experience. Obviously, being owned by Luke Dale Roberts, you can only expect the best. The Restaurant is on the 6th Floor of the Biscuit Mill and the view is Fantastic! It's far more casual the the Test Kitchen, and the food is Asian. We ordered about 8 different dishes to share and every single one was tasty!
Try the Almond Pie for sweets! You will go back for more. Staff also very friendly and you can see they are like a family and work nicely together. The whole experience was awesome.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

As with all Luke Dale Roberts restaurants this one gets a lot of hype. We went there with great expectations and were not blown away. Firstly you need to order lots of water! I have never experienced so many dishes (bear in mind it is tapas so you order lots of different dishes) that are all salty - very salty!
The venue is fantastic, the service ok but in terms of value for money (if you order spring rolls you get ONE for around R50 - the portions are very small) it really is mediocre.
The wine list too is overpriced compared to most other restaurants