“Best lunch spot in Cape Town” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hemelhuijs

Hemelhuijs
Ranked #59 of 1,135 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Cafe, European, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Barbara, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best lunch spot in Cape Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Learned about this place from an article written by a Cape Town blogger. We stopped in for lunch, not knowing what we would get, only knowing the food was good from the article. We were lucky to arrive at the right time, since normally a reservation is needed for lunch, and a table opened up at that exact moment. The restaurant was very cute, obviously a chic place to see, be seen, and eat great food. Reminded me of the Peacock Cafe in Georgetown.

Started off with Zatar dip which was so good we bought some to take home with us. My husband got the orange spice latte and my sister and I both got freshly crafted juices. For our main courses, I got the roasted sweet potato with flaked snoek, muscat grape jam and buttermilk dressing, my sister got the french toast, pecorino, home made prickly pear syrup and bacon, and my husband got the coriander roasted lamb ribs with home made plum sauce. All were excellent! We were so consumed with our delicious meals there were barely any words spoken when eating. Since my husband's orange spice latte was so delicious, my sister and I each got one after lunch. Best meal of the trip, you need to go.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank JET1206

“Hemel kos!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We decided to try it for a quick lunch which turned out to be a 3 course affair. We had an amazing duck salad starter, which I followed with a tender burger and after, shared deserts. Definitely one not to miss when in the mother city! Great coffee, bread and other drinks as well. We"ll definitely be back.

Visited July 2013
Swellendam, South Africa
“Great Breakfast, delicious Juice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We heard about a Hemelhuijs a few times and decided to give it a go when we visited Cape Town. We had a delicious breakfas -, smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on mosbolletjie toast.
The freshly squeezed Ruby Grapefruit juice was delicious and the coffee too.
Everything was served in a beautiful & stylish manner.
Service was excellent and unobtrusive.

• Visited July 2013
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

This spot is worth a stop. The food is amazing. My husband and I were starving on our first visit to Cape Town, the place looked cute and had a few seats outside, so we decided to check it out. So glad we stopped there. It's very casual and located in a square so your not on a main corner.

• Visited June 2013
Cape Town
“Change of heart! From disappointed to delighted!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Visited last year and was really disappointed. I mostly hear rave reviews and decided to return with my partner to try out the breakfast once again.

What an absolute delight and pleasure it was. Our waiter was incredible, friendly and not too in your face. My eggs poached to perfection and it was a totally different experience to the last.

So happy that we decided to return and look forward to trying out the lunch menu next! : )

• Visited June 2013