“Great walk with Wolfang- I really recommend it!”

Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour
Ranked #43 of 325 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a living, noisy and intriguing city as we manoeuvre through its busy streets. History, culture and architecture are woven into our story. We find our way to the colourful Bo-Kaap, the country's oldest Muslim area, (it is recommended that ladies carry a scarf to cover the shoulders, in the event that we enter a mosque), step into St. George's Anglican Cathedral and enjoy a stroll through the Company's Gardens where we pass Parliament, the National Library and Tuynhuis, the President's official town residence. We enter Groote Kerk, the country's oldest church and allow the story of slavery to unfold as we pass the former Slave Lodge and look at the Slave Memorial on Church Square. The walk then leads to the Grand Parade, lined by the City Hall where Mandela gave his first speech as a free man, and the Castle built on the city's original shoreline. The story of District Six is told, historic murals and grand art deco buildings are discovered. The walk ends on bustling Greenmarket Square, dominated by the Methodist Church and Old Townhouse. The walks last about 2.5 hours and can be handled by anybody, there is no steep uphill except for a gentle rise towards Bo-Kaap. The tour takes place on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, starting at 11h00 and are conducted in English and/or German, depending on the composition of the group. No prior booking is necessary during the summer season, although in the winter months from May to end September it is advisable to book. Just come to meeting venue in 66 Loop Street/ cnr Hout Street to purchase your ticket. The fee for adults is R 250.00 per person (cash only). Accompanied children under 14 walk free. N.B. It is advisable you come by taxi. Cape Town's streets are heavily congested and parking is extremely difficult to find.
Madrid, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great walk with Wolfang- I really recommend it!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I chose this guided tour because you don't have to book in advance: you just turn up at 11 at the information point in Burg Street, which is very convenient.

Wolfgang was an excellent guide, one of the best I have ever had. He has a wide knowledge of Cape Town and knows how to transmit it in a very entertaining way.

It was really interesting to hear him talking about architecture (I loved the Art Deco builiding of Old Mutual or how he taught me to differenciate an Afrikaans house from one built by the descendants of the English) or explaining the different types of trees in Company Gardens....

What I most liked was the attention he pays to details of historic events, the kind of things you wouldn't find in a guide book and that turn a walking tour into a very enjoyable and experience.

I was also very grateful to him, because that day I was the only one attending the tour (I guess because the autumn was already there and there are not many tourist at this time of year). He could have told me that he had a minimum number of people attending, which I would have completely understood, but he dedided to do the 2'5 hour tour only for me. It was a luxury!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Mar N
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Traveller from Madrid
Thank you so much for your warm words. It makes it so much more enjoyable for the guide to walk with somebody who appreciates his own passion for the city.Your thanks are are a rich reward for Wolfgang.
I hope the memories of the Mother City will linger on for you. thanks again for taking the trouble and time to comment. Regards
Ursula

London, United Kingdom
“What a great experience!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Graham P

Ursula was our guide. Small group which was great. Memorable. Ursula had a fantastic range of information and brought every part of the walk alive with great facts and insights. Gentle pace but covered a lot of the city. It was a very personal and memorable experience. Perfect. Try it! You will not be disappointed!

Visited February 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thanks! I am grateful to you for taking the time to reflect on the walk. It is a wonderful privilege to show our visitors our fascinating city. I hope your memories will stay with you.
Bangor, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A different view of Cape Town”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

In January my husband and I paid our second visit to South Africa and Cape Town. We decided to try a few different experiences. We had heard of a walking tour of the city and thought it was for 1 hour. When we discovered it would last for 2.5- 3 hours we were a bit apprehensive. We need not have been. Our guide, Ursula, made every moment of the walk so interesting that the time flew by. We visited places we would never have thought to go to and got an insight into the present day and history of Cape Town. Ursula never bored us with long lectures but instead gave us snippets of information which we found easy to remember. She was also interested in our safety warning us of the dangers of being a pedestrian! There were just three of us taking the walk on this particular day. Norman and I from Northern Ireland and a lady from England. This made it a very personal experience for us.
Thank you, Ursula, for such a memorable walk

Visited January 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. It was wonderful for me to guide you through the city as you showed so much interest and enthusiasm. I appreciate it very much that you took the time to review the walk.
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect introduction to Cape Town”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We took the tour with Ursula's colleague Wolfgang. He was a mine of information bringing the history of the city to life with so many interesting facts and details. Our discussions with him were wide ranging and we learnt so much about the city and the country's culture and politics. Very well worth the money and not formulaic in any way. I would say a must do if visiting this city.

Visited February 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your warm words. For us it is always encouraging to receive positive feedback. It makes us try even harder!
Breda, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I wish every city in the world had guide like Ursula.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have visited Cape Town many times and this was the first time we decided to take a tour. What a plesant surprise! Ursula's made this a very memorable day. What a great introduction to Cape Town. Don't miss this tour.
Tom and Inge

Visited February 2013
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your encouraging comment. It was wonderful to have had you on my walk through Cape Town. I hope the memories will last. thanks again!