“Cape Town On Foot - Highly recommended introduction to the history of Cape Town and its inhabitants”

Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour
Ranked #55 of 345 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a living, noisy and intriguing city as we manoeuvre through its busy streets. History, culture and architecture are woven into our story. We find our way to the colourful Bo-Kaap, the country's oldest Muslim area, (it is recommended that ladies carry a scarf to cover the shoulders, in the event that we enter a mosque), step into St. George's Anglican Cathedral and enjoy a stroll through the Company's Gardens.We visit Groote Kerk, the country's oldest church and allow the story of slavery to unfold as we pass the former Slave Lodge and look at the Slave Memorial on Church Square. The walk then leads to the Grand Parade, lined by the City Hall where Mandela gave his first speech as a free man, and the Castle built on the city's original shoreline. The story of District Six is told, historic murals and grand art deco buildings are discovered. The walk ends on bustling Greenmarket Square, dominated by the Methodist Church and Old Townhouse. The walks last about 2.5 hours and can be handled by anybody, there is no steep uphill except for a gentle rise towards Bo-Kaap. The tour takes place on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, starting at 11h00 and are conducted in English and/or German, depending on the composition of the group. No prior booking is necessary during the summer season, although in the winter months from May to end September it is advisable to book. Just come to meeting venue in 66 Loop Street/ cnr Hout Street to purchase your ticket. The fee for adults is R 250.00 per person (cash only). Accompanied children under 14 walk free. N.B. It is advisable you come by taxi. Cape Town's streets are heavily congested and parking is extremely difficult to find.
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We enjoyed a really marvellous walking tour of the centre of Cape Town and the Bo Kaap area with guide Ursula Stevens. She provided us with a fascinating introduction to the history of Cape Town, its diverse culture and its inhabitants. A knowledgable and charming guide, it was a pleasure to spend two and a half hours in her company. Highly recommended to any visitor who wants to learn more about this extraordinary city and its landmarks.

2  Thank RLT323
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on the walk. As the city is so wonderfully diverse and lively it is a pleasure to talk about it - in wind, rain and sunshine! I trust that the remainder of your holiday was as wonderful as your holiday in Cape Town. Go well!

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Ursula was SUCH an incredible tour guide... beyond her knowledge of the cultural importance of various spots and neighborhoods, she gave us a truly authentic experience of Cape Town - not the average "museums and monuments" tour, although it did of course include pointing those out as well. We couldn't have asked for a better introduction to the local flavors and cultures of this history-laden city, not to mention seeing the "real" Cape Town (from the Malay Quarter to Parade Square, to the local bazaars and markets throughout the city ). THANKS URSULA!

2  Thank merdeane
Capetownonfoot, Guest on the walking tour at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Thank you so much for the time you took to comment on the walking tour. It was great showing you the city and all its attractions and I am really happy that the walk contributed to your first experience of our wonderful city. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your stay.
Ursula

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Great way to get a behind the scenes look at Cape Town whether or not as a first time visitor or as a previous visitor. The guide Ursula really brought alive many familiar landmarks with her extensive historical and cultural knowledge and her engaging and enthusiastic way of explaining things.

1  Thank Steve C
Capetownonfoot, Owner at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your encouraging comment on the walking tour. I appreciate the trouble you took and enjoyed very much showing you our lively city which since your visit has taken on a very wintery look and feel. Kind regards
Ursula

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Having just arrived in Cape Town the day before going on this tour, I can't imagine a better foreword to my extended stay in the city. Our tour guide Ursula painted the perfect picture of a culturally diverse city by walking us in and around the City Centre. She was both knowledgeable and engaging, but also friendly enough to spend the afternoon with. Take this tour - I promise you won't regret it!

1  Thank laurenfo
Capetownonfoot, guest on a walk at Wanderlust - Cape Town on Foot Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Thank you very much for your comment, I sincerely appreciate the time and trouble you took to review the walking tour. It is so encouraging to have such wonderful feedback. I enjoyed showing you the sometimes hidden beauty of the city and hope that your stay in Cape Town will leave you with lasting and wonderful memories. thank you once again, Ursula

Reviewed May 17, 2012

When I came to Cape Town for a summer internship, I had a little knowledge of the city. But Ursula, my group's tour guide, took me and four other students on a great walking tour. It was fun and interesting, surprisingly keeping my attention. I usually don't like tours and tend to explore on my own. But Ursula revealed bits of history in unexpected places. I would never have noticed them if she had not taken me to them. She is so friendly and enthusiastic, too. This woman has wonderful energy and will answer any of your questions-- not stuffy, but an incredibly engaging time!

I rarely say this, but this tour is a must-see if it's you're first time to Cape Town. I did this on my first full day here, and I feel more confident knowing more about this mysterious, complex city.

1  Thank tricia_ct85

Wow, you really make me feel wonderful! It was great having you on my walking tour and yes, the enthusiasm you showed also energised me! It is always a pleasure to reveal the attractions of one's home town when the echo is there. Thank you once again and enjoy the rest of your stay in the Mother City. Ursula