we had a weekend planned away at Aquila. Once again we read a few trip advisor reviews after we booked the trip and were surprised to find a particularly negative review about the trip (rats, boring safari, boring food etc) but we decided to go there with an open mind and this is what we found:
1.only 2 hours away from cape town
2.very very friendly staff (dont expect 5 star luxury but very helpful friendly people)
3.gorgeous views from the property
4.excellent selection of fresh buffet meals
5.clean, spacious rooms depending on which option you choose
6.interactive safari drives in evening and morning
7.Big 5 upclose and personal
1.2 safaris in a matter of 12 hours seems tedious, but i can understand why they have it as you are not guaranteed to spot the big 5 on your first drive
2.even though food is freshly prepared and of very good quality, it tastes a little bland (i am guessing because they have to cater to people from many countries, many palates so it is easier to add seasonings depending on personal preference)
3.advertised as full board but drinks are not included
4. I personally do not think you can spend more than 2 days here as you can only see so many safaris :)
Highlights of our stay:
1. On our first safari, we saw all the big 5 upclose and personal!All the rhinos came out to play, all the lions were sitting around our ranger vehicle (even had a faceoff with the dominant male who refused to get off the road)
2. When we returned from the evening safari, it was very very cold (4 degrees) and it was such a pleasant surprise to walk into our rooms and the sheets had been adjusted, the Aircon was set to a warm 28 degrees and 2 hot water bottles were on our bed ready and waiting!
3. While having our breakfast (their lodge has expansive rooms of the property), we could see a lot of animals coming and drinking from the watering hole (close to the dine area),so it was literally like dining in the wild and with the animals!
4. During the night, you can hear the animals in the background and the sky is full of stars , something you dont really see in the city!
there are other things like quad bikes etc, but we didnt really make use of it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aquila Private Game Reserve and Spa is a family-friendly, Big 5 safari destination just 2 hours' drive from Cape Town. Experience luxurious African hospitality with world-class facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and South African Hotels so you can book your Aquila Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquila Private Game Reserve Cape Town, South Africa