“Nice but over priced”

Aquila Private Game Reserve
Reviewed June 15, 2013

It is a very good setting but totally over priced. The standard rooms are standard nothing more but you pay for 5 star. For what I paid I thought the staff would go the extra mile but at the end it was just average.

The buffet is the same every day. You get the feeling that they just wants to make money with as little effort as possible.

The game drive was good and herw they tried to make it comfortable for you with hot water bottles and blankets but being to other reserves in SA this was again a tourist trap to see the Big 5.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I choose to do a 1 day visit to Aquila because I was short on time. I am glad I did. It was great. I am unclear as to why other reviewers referred to it as a big zoo. Yes it's contained, but it's quite large and the animals roam freely. The lions are kept away from the other animals and across the road they have a enclosure for sick animals.
I would recommend it if you are short on time and would like to do safari. The guide was great. When I return to South Africa, I would probably do a longer trip though. It was quite fascinating and word really can't describe it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank windycityf
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was, by far, the best adventure we had in Cape Town. We took a 1 day safari here and were able to see and interact with all of the Big 5 and more. Our bit of excitement was having our truck rammed by a Water Buffalo. Our guide Daniel was informative and fun. The stop in the middle for a glass of champagne was a great added touch. I would highly recommend this tour for everyone. We did not stay here. We stayed at the Waterfront.

Room Tip: The buffet could have been better quality. It would have been nice not to have to fight the birds fo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Myself and my wife went away to Aquila for our 5 th wedding Anniversary to Aquila Private Game reserve, Wow what an amazing experience. From the front desk , the Rangers , the GM, the waitering staff and all involved it was amazing . Noyhing was too much to ask for the flowers they arranged for my wife , The Belguim Chocolates and Champagne That Mandi arranged , the special proteas they brought from Worcester for my wife, all of it with a smile . Thank You to Chef Wil Greyling and all the Catering staff for the Amazing food. The Crusted Lamb rack, the Buffet and the Salmon all amazing some of the best food I have had in a while , all in all an amazing experience THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF AT AQUILA PRIVATE GAME RESERVE.
Chris Cloete Project Manager Masterchef SA season 2

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at Aquila, during a typical Cape cold front. We missed a couple of game drives due to the e clement weather but did get to see the rehabilitation centre in the pouring rain. The guide was very knowledgable and had established an uncanny relationship with a fully grown male leopard. All the cats where in good condition and are well cared for, hopefully they can be reintroduced to the park or to where they came from in good time. Our final day was clear and we did do a game drive, contrary to what I had read on this site by some other visitors, we found the experience entertaining and the guide very knowledgable. The park was full of Chinese nationals who do spend long periods hunting out wildlife, so the 7 thousand hectares was ample for them to see the wildlife and close range and photograph. Even in the rain the vans were equipped with plastic ponchos and blankets. The accommodation was five star as we stayed in a Chalet on the ridge and a fire was made for us each day. The restaurant was efficient and the food superb and varied. I found the service excellent without being noticeable, hovering around tables etc. All in all I would recommend to locals and foreigners alike.

Room Tip: Spend. Little extra and stay in one of the 6 Chalets available they are well worth it
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We – a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children) – stayed at Aquila in April for 1 night.
The cottages: We had a family cottage, which was spacious and clean but with rather basic interior. The bathroom had a bath tub and an external shower; the latter may be nice in summer, but not in the cooler autumn months. Free wifi is available.
F&B: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are buffet style. The choices and quality were not spectacular, but acceptable for a one night stay.
Facilities: The pool was extremely cold and we saw no one using it. There is also a small (basic) play ground with a kind of jungle gym, which the children enjoyed.
The “safari”: I agree with previous reviews: It is not the wild and it is not a safari. Nevertheless, the children enjoyed the fact that they could see and got relatively close to the animals (especially the lions). We were a bit unfortunate with the weather as it was rainy and cold.
Staff: All staff was very friendly; nothing to complain here.
Overall verdict: If one looks for the true African safari experience, one will be very very (!) disappointed. If one, however, like us wants to show the children the big five in a safe, convenient and at least for the children more existing environment than going to a regular zoo, then it is absolutely okay. On the other hand, it is fairly pricy; and in my view too expensive for what is being offered.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dora_Boots_Swiper
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Ok so you are within a couple of miles of the main road through SA, but that makes absolutely no difference to the fantastic time you are about to have.
We were welcomed with champagne and shown to our chalet. Had a quick dip in the pool before our afternoon safari.
Our guide Daniel was fab, he was very knowledgeable and was happy to answer any questions we may have had. We manage to see all of the 'big 5' during our overnight stay plus so much more including the 'hospital' sanctuary over the road.
Overall great food, great service, amazing experience

• Stayed: April 2013