“Excellent ambiance, service, food”
Review of Carlyle's on Derry

Carlyle's on Derry
Ranked #572 of 1,196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2012

All type of food from Pizza to lamb shank through see food all super, service 2nd to none, welcome feeling

1  Thank BelladonnaVilla

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I find this a great place to hang out with friends, have a drink and have some great food/ pizza. Lovely chilled atmosphere.

I also loved what they did with the renovation. Only sad thing is that the service level is not as good as it was, as I have been going there for a few years now. Hope that this will change soon, because I would definitely not want to scratch this restaurant of my list of favourite hangout spots.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

Now this is what I'd call a true neighbourhood restaurant! Unpretentious, honest-to-goodness, down to earth, vibey, relaxed Italian-esque bistro. This is where you absolutely have to go if you want awesome thin-based pizzas, home made pastas, and affordable wines. I might just move to Vredehoek so I can live within walking distance of this restaurant!
It has an adequate wine list which doesn't gouge your pocket (R60 for a chenin blanc, R120 for the Warwick First Lady, and R130 for the Raka Quinary - where in the world do you find those prices in restaurants nowadays?!)
Their Thai chicken lasagne is one of the dishes which constantly brings us back. Made, of course, using free range chicken. In fact all their ingredients seem to be carefully sourced. Last night's tuna pasta (R80) was one of the best I've had anywhere. Large fresh chunks of tuna. Generally the pastas are priced at around the R50 mark. I told you this place is easy on your pocket! Salads are priced from R45 to R60 and the pizzas are about R65, except for the exceptional Quattro Stagioni - another favourite - which is about R80.
I thought long and hard before adding this review - too many people might spoil this place! But I doubt Carlyles will ever become pretentious!

1  Thank Jane W
Reviewed January 12, 2012

One of the best lounge/restaurants in Cape Town. I can't believe this place has not been reviewed. This is a favorite local hangout that is worth finding. Wine list is affordable and diversified. The owners (Rob and Murrey) are always on site and go the extra mile to make their guests happy.

1  Thank Winetourer2727