“LOVED this Tour!”

Siviwe Township Tours
Ranked #32 of 346 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: We specialize in eye-opening guided visits of Langa, Cape Town’s oldest township. You will learn about our culture, lifestyle, history, hopes and dreams and you will get the chance to interact with us locals along the way. The visit takes approximately 2-hours. Private tours are possible on request and can be tailored to suit your preferences. It's possible to use your own transport to get to the tour or have transport included. Safe parking is provided if you come with you own transport.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This tour made the people of South Africa come alive. We had a chance to connect with the local people in a way we had not done on our entire holiday. Our guide shared so much with us about how the people of Langa live and how they value community. He also shared a lot about the historical issues that created the Township. While he was honest about the situation, he also had a positive outlook for the furture.

We took our children (age 5 and 10) and we all left feeling like we made friends in Langa.

Thank you!

"grew up"
in 10 reviews
"south africa"
in 31 reviews
"the happy feet youth project"
in 5 reviews
in 8 reviews
"informative tour"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We arranged this tour with Siviwe over the Internet and arranged for a driver to come and pick us up at our hotel. Our guide was Nati and he arrived punctually. We arrived at Langa visitor centre and my initial impressions was one of this being staged for tourists. However' during this initial part of the tour, was saw a pottery which trains up local people, and a drum group. There were also opportunities to buy items made there such as mugs and jewellery. We then took a walking tour around various parts of the township and were taken into several rooms and lodgings. Nati was very informative and shared with us the ethos of the township and how people choose still to live there, even if their financial situation could mean that they could move elsewhere. There were some very poor areas, but also some quite affluent areas too, and the comparisons were very interesting. We brought pens and pencils and candy to give to the local children, which they received with gratitude. The finale was a visit to the youth project where about 60 children and young people gathered excitedly and we were treat to a performance of the gum boot dances, which were fantastic. We chose this tour as the proceeds go to local township people and not to big companies. The walk lasted about 2 hours but was leisurely and the terrain was flat. I would recommend this method, as opposed to driving through on a bus, as you get to meet with the local people and it is friendly and safe. I would add that we did this with a guide, I don't think I would walk there on my own though, although I think some people do this.

1  Thank luvvinlife2016
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Sivewe tours did a wonderful job. First, we booked a tour on less than 60 minutes notice and they were happy to accomodate us. Gladstone led our group of four and he was phenomenal. He led a two hour walking tour showing us exactly what his and his family's life in the township was like. You can do a driving tour as well, but the experience is just not the same as literally walking into people's homes and businesses to understand their way of life with someone (Gladstone) who has lived in Langa his entire life. Fascinating tour.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Cape Town and one of the most memorable experience was our visit to Langa. Our guide, Gladstone, was wonderful. If you're reading this Gladstone, thank you so much for sharing your home and traditions with us. I truly believe that our experiences in Cape Town would not have been complete without this visit and would highly recommend it to anyone that would like a more complete experience of Cape Town. As other reviewers have noted, townships are where so many of people in Cape Town live and I feel privileged to have met them.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I hadn't really considered going on a township tour when I visited South Africa. I had heard enough about the crime in S. A. that I was concerned about going to any "rough" parts of town. Instead, I planned to see the the mountains, the penguins, etc. But after I went to the District 6 Museum (which I also highly recommend!), I realized that, by restricting myself to the touristy sights, I completely missed out on how a large proportion of the people in Cape Town live.

I had a little bit of trepidation about signing up, but based on the other TripAdvisor reviews, I decided to go for it. I am so glad I did. I'm still in the middle of my visit to Cape Town, but my tour of Langa Township will certainly be one the best and most memorable things I did on my trip here.

Other people have already described their own experiences, so I just add a few more things that might be helpful. First, it's completely safe. It was an entirely professional tour from start to finish. I was picked up by our guide, Nati, in a mini-bus with 3 other tour members. Once we got to Langa, we spent 10 minutes in the cultural center/visitor's center, learning about the pottery studio where locals make pottery to sell. The pottery was on sale, as were other nice looking crafts, but there was 0 pressure to buy anything. We decided to take the tour first, then come back and browse afterwards. However, one of the couples on the tour needed to catch a flight, so we didn't end up going back to the center. (Which was too bad, because the crafts were actually really nice looking- much better than the mass-produced trinkets sold at other tourist attractions.)

The walking tour itself was incredibly informative and enlightening. Yes, we hit all the same highlights others have detailed (sheep's heads, homebrewed beer, seeing inside people's homes, etc.). But it never felt forced or marketed only to tourists- instead, it felt like we were getting to see the aspects of traditional life that the guides know are different from our own. And that's what I was there for.

The people of the township were uniformly friendly and welcoming, but again in a genuine way, not an overly forced way. They recognized that tourism is bringing money into their township, but at the same time, they're just going about their lives. I worried about being perceived as privileged white folk slumming it for a couple of hours (and frankly, perhaps they did perceive us that way), but no one seemed openly resentful about our presence.

I did bring some candy to give to children, which helped us to meet a lot of cute kids as we walked around. (Apparently strangers handing out candy to your children is not nearly as creepy as it might be at home.) Strangely, many adults also asked for candy when they saw me passing it out to kids, which was an interesting cultural difference.

The tour itself opened my eyes to the extremely poor conditions, by Western standards, that most of these people live in. Nati also didn't sugar-coat the social ills that are damaging the community, like AIDS, alcohol abuse, and crime. But I have a much better context for understanding all of these problems now. Moreover, the people of the township seemed happy as a community. Even though some of them have managed to become educated and relatively well-off, they haven't left Langa Township, but rather have built upper class homes within the township, to keep connected with their culture and community.

tl;dr: If you have even the slightest interest in taking this tour, do it! It's safe, fascinating, and professional, and you will come away with a far greater understanding of the residents of Cape Town.