“Could see & hear real lives by a resident guide”

Siviwe Township Tours
Ranked #18 of 345 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: We specialize in eye-opening guided visits of Langa, Cape Town’s oldest township. You will learn about our culture, lifestyle, history, hopes and dreams and you will get the chance to interact with us locals along the way. The visit takes approximately 2-hours. Private tours are possible on request and can be tailored to suit your preferences. It's possible to use your own transport to get to the tour or have transport included. Safe parking is provided if you come with you own transport.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our tour guide Gladstone also lives in this Township and he showed us where he lived in his youth and various stories of himself in the past, which delivered us real lives and thoughts of people there. We felt more positive aspects than we had thought before joining this tour. Joining a township tour is a must here in Cape Town, and if you choose one among many, we recommend this "not too commercialized", "hand-made like" Sivewe's tour.

All reviews
"grew up"
in 10 reviews
"south africa"
in 31 reviews
"the happy feet youth project"
in 5 reviews
in 6 reviews
"informative tour"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just amazing! In 4 words: Interesting, efficient, safe and honest. I had the best township tour with my guide Gladstone. The whole experience from start to finish was excellent. The promptness and helpfulness of replies to my emails by Siviwe , made it possible for me to do this tour despite not getting it organized until the last moment. The fact that Siviwe Township Tours were so flexible & let me do the tour on my own on a Sunday mid morning, less than 24 hours after I first contacted them. When I finally rang to confirm they were able to pick me up ½ an hour later. In a clean, good quality vehicle. We drove to the township Langa, and parked the car there. Went to a small cultural/visitor/craft/training centre, where training in various skills were displayed. (And one could use the facilities as well Some of the items made there were available for sale there, but there was no pressure at all to buy. We also visited the “Dompass” centre where they issued the infamous “dompasses” during apartheid. Thanks for staying open on a Sunday ! I found it very interesting. Then myself and Gladstone walked around the township, seeing different types of housing, going in to peoples houses, seeing the various services and facilities for the people. All the time Gladstone was explaining and telling me about the conditions, the history, the improvements, the politics etc. It was fascinating, and I felt as safe (if not safer) than anywhere else in Cape Town. Which I had worried about being on my own. No one was even begging or causing any hassle at all. After visiting the cultural center again (bathrooms!), I then was brought back to the center of Cape Town again, all the while learning more of the life and history of Cape Town, the townships and the hopes and aspirations of the people in South Africa. (As well as discussing S-As chances in the African Nations Cup soccer game to be played that evening). And on reaching the hotel, realized I had left my camera behind in the bathroom of the cultural center. A couple of phone calls, and Gladstone had located it. He then drove me back to collect it (and it’s a good 20 min drive at least), and back in to town again! Thank you so much! If someone had told me I could leave (an expensive) camera behind unattended in a public building in a township for an hour and not have it taken, I would have found it very hard to believe. But that’s what happened. That honesty is hard to match! Especially in the midst of poverty and deprivation. So thank you all at Siviwe Tours! My best experience in Cape Town in every way!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We were a party of two and joined another couple for the walking tour through the Langa township. Our guide was great and the small size of the group creates a intimate feeling. You will see different areas of the township, from old to renovated “hostels”, nice single houses and shacks. Also they explain a lot about the background and history of the townships. If you do the tour on Sundays, you will have the opportunity to visit a church.
The tour company is founded by locales and also has a children project called “happy feeds”.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent 2,5 hours with a great guide named Gladstone. He showed and told us about his upbringing and life in the township. He managed to illustrate the life in the township in a balanced way. He took us to the house where he grew up as a child and showed us how people live and how the living conditions effected the inbitant´s life. We highly recommend the Sivewe Township Tour to others - and ask for Gladstone!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was initially torn about wanting to explore this aspect of South African life because I am a South African living in the U.S. for the past 30 years. I grew up in apartheid-era Johannesburg, but had never been inside a township. What a privilege to have the culture, traditions and history of Langa explained by our extremely knowledgeable guide, Gladstone. I learned an incredible amount and felt warmly accepted and encouraged in my desire to know more.
One of the highlights was a visit to a traditional "shebeen" where I tasted the local beer and was welcomed "home" by Gladstone who explained that this beer was significant in celebrating important life events. I was incredibly moved and touched by this experience - one I will never forget.
The people of Langa are warm and friendly and I never felt the least bit uncomfortable. The "gumboot dance" by the children is a treat!
Don't miss this amazing tour - it is a rare opportunity to be educated, enlightened and inspired.