“Amazing hike/scramble up Blind Gully, Blinkwater Needle, Blinkwater Peak and Table Mountain”

Hike Table Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike Table Mountain is an owner-operated mountain guiding business specializing in hikes and climbs on Table Mountain and around Cape Point. A passion for nature and mountains coupled with a commitment to service excellence lies at the heartbeat of what we do, ensuring you get the ultimate mountain experience. Run by qualified, accredited, attentive and highly-experienced mountain guides. All hikes and climbs are customized to suit your level of fitness and sense of adventure. We are the only guiding company offering hikes up all routes on Table Mountain. Whether you are a first-time hiker or seasoned trekker, adrenalin junky or nature lover, we make sure you get the experience you are looking for.
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Cannot recommend Riaan highly enough. Such an unforgettable trip tailored perfectly. Solitude, challenging, exhilarating and great fun. Will definitely be back and if you want to hike, scramble or climb in Cape Town then look no further. Thanks again.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

All the good things that have been quoted here about Riaan, I would write them just again!! It was a perfect day with amazing views, many explanations and great support. Even that guy in our group who had hiked up Table Mountain 3 times was suprised to see those places we passed by! I will certainly hike with Riaan again, if I come back to Cape Town. Just for another of so many ways to get to the top.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I had a case of the wobbly knees before climbing Table Mountain, but we didn't come to Cape Town to take the tram to the top (aka, the easy way). Yes, we're total amateurs when it comes to hiking, but we were determined to experience this mountain's majesty by foot. Instantly, upon meeting Riaan, we knew were in very capable, energetic and friendly hands. He taught us how to scramble, gave us background about local plant life, worked in breaks at the perfect time to take in the breathtaking scenery, all the while making us feel remarkably safe and steady. Reaching the top by foot gave us a real sense of accomplishment. Riann's tour was a highlight, if not the highlight, of our time in Cape Town.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I decided to hike up table mountain whilst in Cape Town on our honeymoon. It was one of our absolute highlights from our stay in South Africa.

The India Venster route was a little challenging in parts, but once I trusted my feet and of course, our great guide Riaan, we had a thoroughly enjoyable walk.

Riaan was an excellent guide, whose enthuasism on the walk was simply fantastic. He has great knowledge of the mountain, the flora and the best views.

We were in a small group of 5 which was perfect for conversation throughout the walk, stopping for photos and having a wonderful morning.

Riaan also carried up a bottle of champagne and snacks for a pre-arranged surprise for my wife and I, it went down a treat! Riaan was very helpful on the emails prior to our trip, and post walk also. Thanks so much for a fantastic day.

Graham and Pippa

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Following on from earlier reviews I can only add my own praise to the already glowing reports both for the route (India Venster) and the guide (Riaan).

If you want to get to the top of Table Mountain, there are a couple of options, the easiest of which is the cable car. For around £15 you can take a short but very scenic return trip up to the top of the mountain. There is a man-made path at the top so wheel chair users can also get to see the views. If the weather is favourable you will get some incredible views of Cape Town but you will still be 30 mins walk from the highest point of the mountain.

We decided to hike up and, following many positive reviews of Trip Advisor, contacted Riaan to book the trip. I received a short questionairre to assess our fitness and experience levels. A little advice, be honest when filling this in. A 6 hour hike is not for you if you get out of breath walking up stairs. If you can easily walk 3 or 4 miles and have a head for heights then you should be able to cope. Following a couple of e-mails, Riaan advised us to try the India Venster route.

Although my wife (Debbie) and I are both pretty fit and have previously walked up Snowdon via the Pyg track, the views were rubbish due to the weather and this probably helped as Debbie is not the greatest at height (she had the shakes and sweaty palms on a big wheel on the V&A waterfront the day before this hike). She had no such problems on Table Mountain. The weather was as near perfect as could be. Visibility was endless and the wind (a real feature of the Cape peninsular) was practically zero. Whether we 'climbed' or 'scrambled' really depends on your point of view based on previous experience and confidence but, to my mind, if you require 3 points of contact to go higher it is definately 'climbing'. Although I have climbed and abseiled before and don't really have a problem with heights, at times, I felt a little wary of the height and terrain we were walking/climbing up.

Debbie coped really well due to the guidance, expertise and patience of Riaan. She was not expecting climbing as I had kept this small detail to myself. Safe to say that she was outside of her comfort zone for a good portion of the hike but she still managed to reach the highest point of Table Mountain via one of the most challenging routes (at least of the ones that don't require ropes).
There are many routes up Table Mountain. If you are looking to merely walk to the top, use the Platteklip Gorge route. It will take around 3 hours depending on your fitness level, the views are still incredible but no climbing is required. If you want a little more challenging route, choose India Venster. Please do not attempt this route if you are afraid of heights.
Whichever you choose, if you want a guide (a neccessity on IV, even for experienced hikers) choose Riaan. It may seem a bit pricey to pay for a guide but his knowledge of local flora, fauna, history and hiking on Table Mountain made the trip interesting and informative as well as challenging.
Finally a quick word of thanks to his colleague Warren who assisted. Both were very knowledgeable and helpful and made the day a real trip to remember.

2  Thank MaccaD9