“Pretty lame but the kids seem to love it!”
Review of Scratch Patch

Scratch Patch
Reviewed November 21, 2013

In a country and city with so much to offer it amazes me that this place is even on the agenda. Though I have to admit that my daughter loved her time here, I am only glad that this was not the first thing we did on our day out. A visit here makes a good back up after you been elsewhere, which we had.

Basically, you get to search around in a piles of coloured stones and ‘precious stones’, which have been spread out on the floor of what is meant to be a digging or cave. It really is pretty lame but all the kids (read dozens of school children) were getting into to it. I think kids up to 10 years of age would enjoy it, beyond this I think you might be pushing your luck. Coming here is a time management exercise (90 minutes max) as there is absolutely no educational or historic information or value to be gained for your kids. But that said …

3  Thank anactbloke

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We found this place near Simon's Town thanks to Sue, our hostess at Grosvenor House. I doubt we would have found it otherwise, but it was really worth a visit. It's a treasure trove of gemstones both in their natural state (crystals still in the rocks they were formed in), as well as set into a myriad of things: jewellery, decorative objects, miniature trees, displayed under ultra violet light, or simply lying in cases for you to buy by the scoop. I really coveted a globe made entirely of semi-precious stones (lapis lazili, agate, quarz, tiger eye, amethyst and more), and an exquisite tree made of jade. I bought several bracelets for Christmas presents. As so often in South Africa the staff were helpful beyond the call of duty!

1  Thank Bea F
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Prices tend to be higher on the Waterfront due to much higher rents etc. I do recommend the sister site on the way to Simonstown (Dido Valley Road for GPS fans). It is part shop, part wholesale and most interesting of all part factory.

So you go in and you see two shops. The first one is of items that had been crafted out of stone and very beautiful they are too. I found a solid glass map of the world which I wanted to buy and have transported back to Europe. The price was R1150. I asked how much it would be to have it sent to UK. From the way they reacted didn't sound like they had this question asked before. After much telephoning the lady came back to say that although it weighed 5 kg, the charges would be based on a minimum weight of 55 kg. In addition, there would be an agency fee, and fumigation fee would you believe.

I told them in no uncertain terms that this was nonsense and they rather huffily retreated to make more phone calls and then told me that the final cost would be about three times the advertised price. I declined as politely as I could and then found another smaller globe which I took with me. Don't forget you can get 10% VAT back which you do at the airport by showing them the receipt and of course the item itself.

Anyway, the other room is all raw stones and the lady in charge was a complete expert and found the stones that I needed - Shiva Lingham - very quickly.

The third feature which I stumbled on by chance is the factory where they used to purify and polish the stones. No easy it was but also very interesting and exciting. There is a walkway that you can go along above the factory floor and see what is going on. We stayed there, fascinated, for about an hour.

The fourth feature is the site of people polishing stones. I admit not riveting but it does explain the process

The fifth feature is an exhibition of phosphorescent stones which is viewed in a dark room surprise surprise.

The sixth feature is a fun for all. You get a small bag and a chance to pick up a variety of coloured stones lie around your feet. My other half was very absorbed finding the right ones. You have a choice from 35 Rand upwards but anyway very reasonable. There is a small cafe attached.

Finally there is a trip down a mine with a minimum of six people. Since we were two not six and there was no one else around we left this point.

We spent about two hours there and loved every moment of it.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have memories of this when I was 17, and I was delighted to find that it was still in business. It was ideal for my children (8 & 5); they both loved filling their bags for R35, and in fact the younger one dropped his by accident so had to fill it all over again. They were also interested in seeing the factory from above and seeing the gems sorted and cut. The museum could do with a little attention, but we were there in the middle of winter. The shop had some beautiful things, at all sort of prices, so great souvenirs and gifts for little people to be had. The cafe's scones were also freshly made. I would recommend it for a morning's activity.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

A good and cost effective place to take your small kids, they will delight in finding and selecting the best possible gems in the patch.

1  Thank mark p