“Great Bar”

Cuisines: African, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a relatively new bar in Tamboerskloof, Cape Town. From the moment I arrived, I liked it. The staff were friendly and polite. I did not eat there, but the food looked good. Great bar scene....wide range of local beers and ales which I really enjoy!! Local is lekker!
Will be back for a few brewskies soon

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The waiter was sweet but the service was slow, the food was just ok but the sitting out on the deck having sundowners with Table Mountain in the background was nice. I was less than impressed when they didn't have my first 3 beer choices so I settled for an overly sweet mojito.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

It seems to be a busy place and nice to go out for drinks. We were planning on just having a glass of wine there, but were tempted by the menu so we stayed for dinner as well. We had the chicken scewers for starters and they were very jummy! I had the ravioli with artichokes and mushrooms and it was really really good! My friend took the burger and that was really good too. One of the best meals we had in Cape town!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Van Hunks advertises itself as a Bar and Restaurant. As a bar, it works; people clearly go there for a pleasant evening in a good location and I got served a really good cocktail.

As a restaurant, there is zero sign that they even try. The menu is not long or complicated - basically typical Cape Town bar food rather than restaurant fare. However the bar food that my companion and I were served was bad, not a little bit bad but catastropically, appallingly, disastrously bad. Not through mistakes but through a complete lack of care bordering on total contempt for customers.

We had ordered the house burger - beef for one of us and chicken for the other. Mine was the chicken burger, which was itself actually ok, at least being freshly cooked. However the sides it came with of onion rings and fries were cold and soggy and had clearly been lying around in the kitchen for at least an hour before being served.

My companion was eveb less fortunate; same cold, soggy sides as I had and in his case the beef burger too was cold and stale from being left lying around after cooking.

The perfect finishing touch was provided by the dish of sauces that were brought out - ketchup, mayo and chilli sauce. Even in the dim light, it was clear that the mayo was rancid and transparent, clearly not served fresh but left out in the kitchen for too long in the open air. I was so obvious it was unbelieveable that the waiter could even put it in front of us, let alone expect we might actually want to eat it.

I was disappointed that the ususal 'is everything ok' wasn't asked of us at any time - not during the meal and not when the bill was brought - because I would happily have said quite how dreadful the food had been. We walked out having left a tip of R1 on the R199 bill - that only because we couldn't wait to leave and get onto Tripadvisor to write this.

Overall verdict - wishing there were a rating lower than 'Terrible'. Worst meal ever in Cape Town, worst meal out in last 15 years and by a big margin. (For the curious, worst meal out ever was at a SNCF Motorail terminal in Calais.)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

the view and atmosphere is great. The restaurant has always been constant as a fun place to go. I particularly like the lunch time specials.