“A jewel of a find”

Ranked #33 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Dash Restaurant & Bar is the jewel in the crown of the Queen Victoria Hotel, which is situated in the Portswood Precinct near the Waterfront, Cape Town. An intimate restaurant, with just 36 seats, serves the most delicious food, as testified by its constant rave reviews. It prides itself on only using the best and freshest ingredients, to chime with the Cape’s seasons. The dishes at Dash change every few weeks, when new ingredients become available. Early diners are welcomed to relax in the swanky bar area for a cocktail and take in impressive views of Table Mountain and the city. Dash has an impressive and exceptionally well chosen wine list and the walls boast some remarkable artwork, kindly loaned by the restaurant’s prestigious gallery neighbour, Everard Read, and this is also changed every few months with new work by renowned local artists, such as Beezy Bailey and John Meyer.
Reviewed April 26, 2014

One of the most memorable evenings and dining experiences I've had in years. The setting, understated elegance, service and hospitality was only surpassed by the exquisitely presented and delicious cuisine. We'll definitely be back.

Mike_Vroom, General Manager at Dash Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Good day KaeTridd,

Thank you for your great review. I am glad to hear that you had a memorable experience with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We had high hopes for this restaurant after reading the reviews on here, but unfortunately our experience was completely ruined by bad service and a change in menu/chef.

Service: Although very friendly, our waitress was completely unexperienced - she could not pour champagne or wine without tapping a glass with the bottle and spilled at least at every second glass. She filled some glasses 3/4 full, other 1/4. The bar is a few steps away and the restaurant only had 3 tables with diners, but every drink took ages to arrive. We asked for bread which only came about 25 later, a minute or 2 before the amuse-bouche which tasted like liquidised and friend viennas.

Food: Although edible, what we were serviced could only be described of a culinary mess of epidemic proportions. Each plate had at least 12 to 20 different elements - all poorly executed and very few working together. The plating was very amateurish. A cheese souflle resembled something closer to a cheese muffin. Our fillet had a very strange texture - not tough but rubbery - what treatment it had been subjected to I would rather not imagine.

All in all a very disappointing experience.

4  Thank SA T
Mike_Vroom, General Manager at Dash Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Good day SA T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience. It is unfortunate that your first experience and interaction with us did not meet your expectations. I am hugely grateful that that you took the time, trouble and effort in order to give us constructive criticism of what went wrong which lead to your expectations not being met.

It is only with such feedback that we can take corrective action. We do hope to welcome you back to Dash Restaurant again so that you can truly experience first hand what Dash is all about.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed in the Queen Victoria Hotel, which is fabulous. We had dinner on the Saturday and it was really good. It is a proper restaurant with good service, plenty of choice on the menu and a great setting. The whole place is very relaxed and the staff are attentive. I would highly recommend as a change from the sheds in the Waterfront complex.

MikeVroom, General Manager at Dash Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Good day susieQ321_12,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your experience at Dash as well as the Queen Victoria Hotel. We hope to see you again in near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I wanted to book somewhere special as my family were visiting for overseas. All the traditional restaurants were booked, so based on tripadvisor reports, I booked a table at Dash. What a wonderful evening. My family have eaten in supposedly some of the best restaurants in the world, and they reckoned this experience was up there with the rest of them. The restaurant staff couldn't do enough to make sure we had everything including letting my father test a whole selection of wines. The chef was happy to come out and chat too. All in I would thoroughly recommend Dash for a special evening out (and with the Rand as it is, the meal was astonishingly good value).

MikeVroom, Manager at Dash Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Good day mxp1234,

We always love to hear from our guests, so thank you very much for the wonderful feedback on your experience at Dash Restaurant. I am glad to hear that we rank in some of the best restaurants you have eaten in and were able to make your night special.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great setting in the Victoria hotel. Loved all the dark wood, open fire, slick bar and views of the harbour. Perfect foie gras and asparagus starter, really melt in the mouth. We all had meat for main (springbok, fillet and lamb respectively) all perfectly cooked (blue for myself and my daughter and rare for my husband). Topped off by one of the most generous cheese boards if have ever seen and the highest cocoa content dessert I have ever tasted. I was quite apprehensive about taking an 11 year old to a fine dining restaurant but it was not remotely stuffy and she really enjoyed it. An absolute bargain for someone used to London restaurants, with 3 starters, 3 mains, 2desserts, a very decent bottle of wine, a Glass of Klein Constantia Constance and an Irish coffee it was only a shade over 1300 R.

Good day SkellysBerkshire,

Thank you for your great review on your dining experience at Dash. I am glad that you were impressed with the dishes our team of young dynamic chefs created. We hope to welcome you back next time you're in Cape Town!

Kind regards