“Wonderful evening”

Ranked #32 of 1,207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dash Restaurant & Bar is the jewel in the crown of the Queen Victoria Hotel, which is situated in the Portswood Precinct near the Waterfront, Cape Town. An intimate restaurant, with just 36 seats, serves the most delicious food, as testified by its constant rave reviews. It prides itself on only using the best and freshest ingredients, to chime with the Cape’s seasons. The dishes at Dash change every few weeks, when new ingredients become available. Early diners are welcomed to relax in the swanky bar area for a cocktail and take in impressive views of Table Mountain and the city. Dash has an impressive and exceptionally well chosen wine list and the walls boast some remarkable artwork, kindly loaned by the restaurant’s prestigious gallery neighbour, Everard Read, and this is also changed every few months with new work by renowned local artists, such as Beezy Bailey and John Meyer.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I wanted to book somewhere special as my family were visiting for overseas. All the traditional restaurants were booked, so based on tripadvisor reports, I booked a table at Dash. What a wonderful evening. My family have eaten in supposedly some of the best restaurants in the world, and they reckoned this experience was up there with the rest of them. The restaurant staff couldn't do enough to make sure we had everything including letting my father test a whole selection of wines. The chef was happy to come out and chat too. All in I would thoroughly recommend Dash for a special evening out (and with the Rand as it is, the meal was astonishingly good value).

MikeVroom, Manager at Dash Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Good day mxp1234,

We always love to hear from our guests, so thank you very much for the wonderful feedback on your experience at Dash Restaurant. I am glad to hear that we rank in some of the best restaurants you have eaten in and were able to make your night special.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great setting in the Victoria hotel. Loved all the dark wood, open fire, slick bar and views of the harbour. Perfect foie gras and asparagus starter, really melt in the mouth. We all had meat for main (springbok, fillet and lamb respectively) all perfectly cooked (blue for myself and my daughter and rare for my husband). Topped off by one of the most generous cheese boards if have ever seen and the highest cocoa content dessert I have ever tasted. I was quite apprehensive about taking an 11 year old to a fine dining restaurant but it was not remotely stuffy and she really enjoyed it. An absolute bargain for someone used to London restaurants, with 3 starters, 3 mains, 2desserts, a very decent bottle of wine, a Glass of Klein Constantia Constance and an Irish coffee it was only a shade over 1300 R.

Good day SkellysBerkshire,

Thank you for your great review on your dining experience at Dash. I am glad that you were impressed with the dishes our team of young dynamic chefs created. We hope to welcome you back next time you're in Cape Town!

Kind regards

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We took advantage of the crayfish special and what a deal! For R600 ($60), two of us had probably the best meals we've had. The crayfish was delicious and plentiful, the sides great, and we also had two glasses of wine and dessert. The service was incredible, even by South African standards (which is far superior to that in North America), and the hostess very welcoming. Would highly recommend this restaurant and particularly the crayfish deal.

Good day CF_TO,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your dining experience and your recommedation. I am glad to read that our crayfish special featured as one of your "best meals" you have had, I also appreciate you kind words with regards to our service and hostess.

We look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Most of the reviews on here sum Dash up beautifully. In summary, hard to find, nice decor, attentive staff, great choice of food/wine. What more could you want for? Not only is the food well presented, it is also beautifully cooked. This was a slow night so I was able to meet Sam, the chef, to compliment her for her endeavours.
This is a Michelin style meal for two with wine and coffee for under £50. Shudder to think what the cost in the UK would be! This was a real treat. Well done to everyone.

Good day johnpfoley,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on your dining experience at Dash. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and were able to meet Chef Sam. Your complementary remarks regarding our staff, service and cuisine are greatly appreciated!

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

It's a lovely hidden gem off the main road. The food prices are very affordable and delicious. I loved the vibe as well. Great decor and lighting. A perfect place to have a meal or a few drinks.

Good day krispyNZ,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your evening with us.

We look forward to welcoming to back soon.