“Joburg to PE overnight”

Shosholoza Meyl Train
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This premier class overnight journey was great. The crew made a fuss of us from the welcome at Joburg station to our arrival in PE. It was clean, spacious and comfortable and clean; We were well fed and we felt very safe. All in all it was also a package that was very good value for money.

5  Thank Jeremy V
There are newer reviews for Shosholoza Meyl Train

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I took the Tourist Class train from Joburg to Cape Town. Other reviewers have highlighted cleanliness and service issues with justification. Levels of on-train staff training, particularly in customer service skills, are poor. A delay of almost 2 hours before arrival at Cape Town was not explained. In my opinion, the Train Manager could have done much more to keep passengers informed, even though the PA system appeared to be broken.

No working power points, tacky hand written notices on carriage walls and the general air of low or no maintenance do not add to the experience. Would I do it again? Yes possibly, but a little investment in cleaning, repair and staff training would make it a far more pleasant prospect

3  Thank mr_metaxa
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Generasly disappointed with the entire trip, but particularly the lack of any air confitioning anywhere in the train for the hotest part of trip.
Disinterested staff, poor finish to the trip in Cape Town. Don't bother.

6  Thank FJ100
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went to Klerksdorp Station to book on the Shosholoza Meyl train from Kimberley to Cape Town. The booking clerk advised that there was no bedding available on the train. This would appear to have been the case for the last 3 months. What is the reason? Has the bedding been stolen? Or has Prasa not paid their supplier? In any case it is a disgrace - what do overseas visitors do? bring a suitcase full of bedding with them?

3  Thank Kareeboom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband bought tickets at the Port Elizabeth station to travel to Johannesburg, overnight. It is difficult to get the tickets as the online shop appeared to not work at all and no one ever picks up the telephone. He picked up the tickets and all was good, we've travelled by train before so we knew what to expect. But this time around it was close to a nightmare. I was 28 weeks pregnant and travelling with a fit to fly document (from Johannesburg I would board an airplane to Amsterdam) from my doctor. At the entrance to the train platform I was stopped by a female worker who blatantly said "you are pregnant so you are not allowed on the train". I had no idea! She left to pick up a flyer that you supposedly get when you buy the tickets and it does state that it's not allowed. However, we never received that flyer! I can also not find this on the website. I eventually was allowed on board after signing a indemnity form. Apparently when you have a 'fit to travel' instead of a 'fit to fly' you are good to go. I was happy to be let on board but disappointed by the service and the rudeness (which later subsided). On the train my husband ordered bedding. There was no bedding available. We were shocked. A cold night ahead on a leather couch. We did not get an explanation. My husband around 6pm ordered dinner from the menu to eat at 7pm but we never got the food - the waiter was very emberrased, saying he first forgot and then when he went to check it was already too late, the food was finished. No dinner, no blankets. However, with the unhelpful staff and the ridiculously bad service we do love taking the train - the views are stunning and you can take lots of luggage. But next time I'll try to beforehand get my hands on bedding and bring my own dinner.

1  Thank ElviraVN