“Touring South Africa with Selwyn Davidowitz”

I Love Cape Town Tours
Ranked #144 of 325 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: I have been a tourist guide in Cape Town for 13 years. In 2008 I was chosen as the Wanderlust magazine international tourist guide of the year. Tourguiding is a wonderful occupation to me. I simply love to exude my passion for my city and the Garden Route to my visitors. Please join me in my wonderful city so as to find out why I love Cape Town as well as the beautiful Garden Route.
Davis, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Touring South Africa with Selwyn Davidowitz”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I have traveled extensively. Among our many trips, we spent a fantastic two weeks touring South Africa with Selwyn as our guide. Thanks to him, it was the best trip we ever experienced. He arranged for everything, and it was all first class. It could not have been better. Prior to our trip, we corresponded by voice mail. By the time we arrived we were friends, and by the time we left we were family. We never had a single complaint. If you plan to visit South Africa, be sure that Selwyn is your guide.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank traveler11177
ILoveCapeTown, Owner at I Love Cape Town Tours, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Mitch and Barb, Thanks for the good TA review. You are 100% correct - Family we have become and what a joy it has been to become as such. Thanks once again. Selwyn

California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Personalized, Impactful, and Fun”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We spent 2 days with Selwyn in the Cape Town area and can not recommend him enough. He is a subject matter expert on the area and has a deep sense of love for South Africa that is contagious. We spent a day going to Cape Point and another day in a Township with Selwyn. The Township day was impactful as we ate with a lovely local lady and got to interact with multiple folks in the area. We even went to a dance center and joined in with some of the local children who work hard to gain scholarships to University (a program supported by Selwyn). He was helpful not just in the 2 days we toured with him but for our whole trip. An example is that he loaned us his cell phone to ensure we could remain in contact during our entire stay. He is like going on a tour with your favorite uncle. As we were planning our next trip which was to Egypt, my 10 year old son said - "I want Selwyn to be our guide even if he knows nothing about the place." That about sums it up.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank JeboS
ILoveCapeTown, Owner at I Love Cape Town Tours, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thanks for the great review. It was a wonderful experience for me to tour with your whole family. All I can say is I am sorry I could not make it with Nathan and your family to Egypt (-:) . Trust you all had a wonderful time there too.

My very best from Cape Town.

Selwyn
San Francisco Bay Area
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful way to see Cape Town!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Selwyn took three families (16 of us, including 10 kids!) all around Cape Town are the surrounding area for 4 days and we had a wonderful time! He knew the names of all of us before we arrived, took over every detail of our travel needs, adapted our journey to fit our needs and desires as we went along, made it fun and interesting for kids and adults, and made it much more than just a standard tour. Our kids will never forget their visit to a township where they played soccer with the kids and saw how they lived - it was a real highlight. Also, being able to eat local cuisine made within private homes (Malay and in the township) was such a unique and wonderful opportunity. I'd highly recommend Selwyn for travelers of any age - we came home having nothing but wonderful memories of Cape Town and a new friendship with Selwyn!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank travlingmomof3boys
ILoveCapeTown, Owner at I Love Cape Town Tours, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review CK. Yes it was wonderful to tour with all of you as you were such easy visitors to please. What really worked for me was the cohesiveness of your families - For this you have my total admiration. It was this cohesiveness which made my job so much easier as everybody seemed to get on so well with one another whether it was in making decisions in terms of what to do at certain times while on tour or simply having fun with one another. All in all a very very happy tour for me to do and for this I thank you and all else who were on board.

Go well.

Selwyn.
Narberth, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I Love Cape Town, Selwyn Davidowitz”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Extremely knowledgeable and congenial. He had certain 'ins' and we never had to wait in line. Best guide we have had in our 50plus years of travel

Visited October 2011
1 Thank ruth s
ILoveCapeTown, Owner at I Love Cape Town Tours, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Ruth S,,

Wow knowing how well travelled the two of you are it was amazing to see such a complimentary review from you of our tour together in Cape Town. To think that I am top of your 50 year list really makes me blush. If I think back as to how much I enjoyed your tour that is obviosuly even more imporatnt to me than your review however no matter what may I just say thank you for your great writings.

Go well and in great peace to both of you.

Selwyn
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“No better way to see & learn about Cape Town!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

When I was 12, and the new South Africa was even younger, Selwyn toured my family and I in and around Cape Town for a week. We stayed at the Waterfront, toured the winelands, visited Kayamandi township, and went on the Garden Route .... my 8-year-old brother and I had the time of our lives, as did our parents. Today, 11 years later, reminiscing about our adventures with Selwyn in South Africa is still our favorite shared past time.

Though my first trip with Selwyn was years ago, I have had the privilege of meeting him as a friend many times since. I can say first-hand that his enthusiasm for his work and his country is unwaning, and that every group I've seen him with has been in awe of their adventure.

Selwyn's love for his country - faults and all - is infectious. His honest and straightforward approach leaves no question unanswered, and he always gives you more to think about. Selwyn will show you all sides of Cape Town and has a knack for keeping people of all ages amused and intrigued. His knowledge is extensive, and for every fact he has a story. He knows his country inside and out; you couldn't be in better hands. At the end of a day with Selwyn your head is buzzing with excitement, both for everything you've seen and for what could possibly be next.

By far, my most memorable adventure with Selwyn was the day he took our family to Kayamandi, a township on the outskirts of Stellenbosch town centre. This was not your average "township tour." Selwyn got us out of the car, introduced us to his friends, and had residents of the township talk to us about their lives instead of doing so himself. Thanks to Selwyn, we were able to see the harsh realities of the township while marveling at the friendliness of Kayamandi's residents and watching daily life unfold around us. With Selwyn, you feel like you're travelling with an old friend who is kind enough to be taking you on the insider's tour ... That day I told Selwyn I wanted to go back to Kayamandi one day, and he said "well then you will."

Five years later, Selwyn organized my return to Kayamandi. I stayed with his incredible friend Lily in the township (who I'm sure you'll read about in these other posts) for about four months and saw Selwyn every couple of weeks as he brought new visitors by to sample Lily's food and hospitality. Definitely visit Lily if you can.

Since that first trip, I have returned to Kayamandi and to Cape Town on numerous occasions. Most recently, I went back to complete my Master's thesis, which was about Kayamandi. So 11 years later I have a degree in African studies and am moving back to Cape Town, a life course sparked because of one trip with a guide who made South Africa - its history, its beauty, its people, its triumphs and its problems - come alive in a way that made the country accessible, safe, challenging and inspiring. Couldn’t recommend “I love Cape Town Tours” more highly or with more certainty that you’re going to have the trip of a lifetime!

Visited September 2011
2 Thank LEV23
Lev23,

Thank you for your unbelieveable review. It really is great to know that somehow or other touring has helped so much with someones education of what is today her passion. Thank you thank you.

Selwyn.