“One of my favourite pasta dishes anywhere in the world - and I've seen the world!”
Review of Andiamo - CLOSED

Andiamo
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I visited Andiamo a couple of years ago on one of my regular visits to Cape Town and had a pasta dish that was truly memorable. On the trip I just had, I found myself in Cape Quarter again on a Sunday morning having read about the Sunday market and food mart. The shopping was good but the food stalls were a bit disappointing - but it gave me a chance to go back to Andiamo and see if the pasta dish i so enjoyed was still on the menu. My partner and I arrived at lunchtime and were welcomed and given a table with some sunshine (just what we need when getting away from the English winter). The courtyard location is very pleasant as well as being free from the wind. Drink orders were taken quickly and a bottle of sauvignon blanc, with ice on the side, and bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar arrived very promptly. The favourite pasta dish was still on the menu chicken strips with penne and broccoli in a gorgonzola cream sauce - absolutely the most delicious combination of flavours in a pasta dish that I have experienced (and I travelled the world almost non-stop for the best part of 30 years).
My wife had the green mussel spagetti (mussels with leeks, garlic, pesto, white wine, and cream) which she enjoyed, but didn't enthuse about. We will be experimenting to try and recreate this chicken pasta dish now that we are back in the UK.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Unfortunately, I went to Andiamo a few years back and it was a very pleasant little Italian in the very pretty courtyard up in Waterkant area.
Since then, the courtyard has lost a few shops and Andiamo lost its way.
This is supposed to be a nice, unpretentious, friendly Italian restaurant with your usual Italian dishes: pasta, pizza.
We were a large table of 10 and the taking of the order was a nightmare. We only wanted a few antipasti to share and then everybody was having one main dish. The waiter took the order wrong twice, then after taking it right, still managed to bring over the wrong food.
One of the antipasti plate was fish, it smelt disgusting and nobody touched it.
The main dishes were large and some of them were ok (how hard is it to cook pasta?)
The manager kept interfering, trying and failing to be funny all the time.
Service during the meal was hectic; they kept taking glasses away which were not finished, bringing new plates of food destined for another table, etc
Overall, unfortunately, I have to say, give this one a miss, this area of CT has now lots of new, cute restaurants around so give them a try.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I first tried Andiamos a couple of years ago when I arrived in Cape Town - just an average nomal restaurant , nothing special either good or bad and then never bothered going back

Recently I ended up there one night because the other places I tried were full and Andiamos had a table available

Im very happy that I couldnt get a table elsewhere because it seems Andiamos has improved considerably since I was last there in food and service..... we had a great evening, the staff were attentive without being in our face and the food had climbed up a couple of notches as well

Im certainly going to be back and hope my recent visit is the standard they maintain going forward!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The location at the cape quarter is not bad at all, the service was very friendly but the food was really bad, the pasta we had to give back because they were soft like mashed potatoes, far far away to be " all dente " the pizza was average but you find many better once in CT.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have patronised this restaurant in Cape Town often over the years but this year have experienced such appalling service and general lack of care that I have decided not to return again.

On both recent occasions that I was there I had to get up from my table and head off in search of a Manager to address the shortcomings, either of the kitchen or the waiting staff as was the case on my most recent visit.

We arrived at 1:20 and and in peak season it was patently clear that the place was under resources. A rather dizzy looking waiter finally came to the table and took out order - Pear & Gorgonzola Salad and Chicken Liver Salad and 2 Seafood Pots ( a one time favourite but a pathetic let down on this occasion )

The starters when they finally arrived were ok but were served without bread or cutlery and we were not offered any wine. Despite speaking at this stage to the Manager a local man, who clearly had been over promoted and thought shouting at the waiting staff was a sign of good management and authority did not convince me that he had the situation under control. Several tables around us were clearly also frustrated at the length of time everything was taking and 2 that I know off, walked out. Perhaps with hindsight I should have followed them.

The Seafood Hotpots were very disappointing and the pasta overcooked - the tomato sauce was bland and many of the seafood ingredients were indescribable and chewy, making for an altogether very regrettable main course.

What was once a restaurant I visited twice or three times a week for lunch during my month long holiday to Cape Town has now become a laughing stock and example of poor management and a clear and sad reflection of how not to run a service business during what is undoubtedly the busiest time of the year. So bad, this visit will be my last.