“Footsteps to Freedom. Our Guide Ivor Shaskolsky.”

Footsteps to Freedom Tours
Ranked #74 of 334 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: The Footsteps to Freedom walking tour of the historic heart of Cape Town tells the story of Cape Town and its people. We use streets, buildings, monuments, memorials and the passing street-scene as props develop a story of Cape Town and South Africa's dramatic past. Stories of Dutch and British colonial rule, slavery and apartheid, and finally our peaceful transition to a real democracy.We gather before 10h30 (Mon-Sat) in the lobby of the Taj Cape Town Hotel, located in centre of Cape Town's cultural and historic precinct. At 10h30 the 2½ hr walking tour starts from the steps of the Bishop Robert Gray Memorial, adjacent Taj Cape Town hotel.
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This walking tour in Cape Town was about the best use of three hours I can imagine. Ivor has a love of Cape Town and gave us a fascinating insight into its history and that of South Africa and the struggle against apartheid. An absolutely brilliant introduction. John G

2  Thank johngossage

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Garth Angus is an exceptional guide with an intellectual outlook. He provided an insight that enhanced the experience. Relaxed and easy manner and paced the touring according to our needs. Would use him again.and strongly recommend. Garth has an eclectic approach, a love of history, an understanding of people, and was delightful.
Karin and Berny

1  Thank Bernard F
Reviewed January 29, 2014

super nice tour
super nice tour guide (Hans)
who had amazing deep and in depth knowledge about the history of the country and the city, people, buildings etc ..and it was so lovely to spend the time with him and wonder the city and explore..
I highly recommend his tour :)

Reviewed December 12, 2013

A month ago, when I received the invite from Footsteps to Freedom, a walking tour company based at the Taj Hotel in the heart of the Mother City, to join them for a walk through Cape Town to learn about the life and times of Nelson Mandela, my interest was piqued as I felt that I wanted to know more about this incredible man and his struggle for freedom.

Two days before the walk was due to take place, Madiba left this world and his legacy was being celebrated throughout the city. The result was an incredibly emotional morning spent visiting the historical places that shaped South Africa’s future while listening to Garth Angus bring to life the human dramas that unfolded on Mandela’s epic journey.

The stories Garth told included tales of secrecy, bravery, intrigue, love, persistence and resilience like none I have ever heard. From a young age, Mandela was a well educated and athletic man and he would not sit aside and witness the injustices of the apartheid regime. He led a nation to a peaceful resolution and a democratic society through his love, forgiveness and a deep understanding and knowledge of all races history and reasoning. Imagine a prisoner being invited to a president’s house, only later to become president himself.

Do yourself a favour, whether you live in Cape Town or are visiting us from afar, set a day aside to go and listen to the stories of Madiba and stand in the places he stood in on his long walk to freedom.

I work for Nomad Adventure Tours and was offered a complimentary walk. Nomad however has no business affiliation with Freedom Tours and I would pay full price for this tour and I will be taking my friends on this tour too.

3  Thank nomadicjess
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We took the Cape tour, the guide Tim, a former lawyer, was absolutely fantastic as our tour guide. Best I have ever had. He knew and explained everything. When in South Africa go with these folks. Garth and Fiona Angus are two great people to have met and worked with. For us was quite a adventure, Garth booked us at Kirklands Kamp (five Star Adventure!!) for our foto safari and then were met in Livingstone for our Victoria Falls adventure staying at the Royal Livingstone Resort (Five stars for this also). All were tremendous places to have seen. Can honestly say the views at both Kirklands and at Royal Livingstone were ones that fotos do not do justice to. We were at Victoria at low water level. One can only imagine it at the high water flow. We were under their wings for 10 days, only two hi-cups were caused by border guards. I never would have believed I would give 5 star rating to any tour guide operator as I typically hate guided tours.