“Excellent Italian eatery”

Il Leone Mastrantonio
Ranked #39 of 1,202 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: During our recent visit to Cape Town, we ate at this restaurant on the strong recommendation from the owner of our hotel. He was right! Very good good, BYOB nad great staff and a very friendly efficnet waitress. great food...highly recommended
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This very good Italian eatery is situated near De Waterkant. Excellent pastas and veal dishes. A little noisy depending on where the table is situated but food excellent.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

never a dissapointment - the prawn paste special keeps me coming back for more,

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I don’t think so! This restaurant comes highly recommended and sounds like something out of a Mediterranean Island brochure: the ‘Ile de Something Romantic’ but on closer acquaintance it ticks none of the boxes. Tucked away in a side street below, Green Point Main Road, number 22 Corben is neither in a prestigious location or a romantic setting. True, the car guards do add a dimension of we-mean-business and some security to the iffy neighbourhood - but the outer décor is drab and the interior, with its very ordinary furniture and wooden floors, is sparse, noisy and echoey.
If you are bringing your own, only one bottle of wine per table is allowed, and corkage is charged. But it is the food that is most disappointing. I ordered the prawn linguini and was served a tasteless mixture with some raw tomato and prawns that were so hard they might have been frozen when Scott visited the Antarctic. Hard to believe we were just a stone’s throw away from some of the best seafood eateries at the Cape Town Waterfront.
Cutting our losses we ordered coffee, but the flat whites were so unexceptional that I was left wondering if I had dreamt the coffee course, and needed a revival cup when I got home. Not to be repeated, You can do better – much, much better.

1  Thank Relais-Reviewer
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Ate here on our first night in Cape Town and was not disappointed. Nice, lively atmosphere, good food and great service.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had calamari and bruschetta to start with pasta dishes--loved the panzotti--with coffee and creme caramel for dessert. I found the bread in Cape Town to be universally spongy. We are from Los Angeles. The bread simply tasted different so the bruschetta was not my favorite. I do not fault the restaurant, its just a matter of preference. We very much enjoyed our dinner. The staff was kind and helpful. Great location, good for groups as well as couples.