“Brilliant! A must-do for aNy photographer in Cape Town”
Review of Photography Tours

Photography Tours
Ranked #58 of 348 Tours in Cape Town Central
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Photography Tours Half or Full Day (from R1500 p/person) Scheduled Full Day Photo Tours(from R1500 p/person) Scheduled group walks 4 different routes (6 days a week excluding sunday)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 3, 2012

James was an absolute delight. My husband and I witnessed a beautiful sun rise in Cape Town for the first Of our lives. That is thanks to James. His friendliness really made this trip to Cape town even more enjoyable. We discovered the city in an angle that only a photographer would have minded to show us. For our Next visit to Cape town, I will definitely do another photography tour! Keep it up !

All reviews
in 10 reviews
in 13 reviews
in 25 reviews

Reviewed February 3, 2012

We met James in April as a plan for sightseeing and photography instruction prior to a Safari in Botswana. Little did I know how wonderful my time would be with James. He is very easy to be with; and made each experience really fun. We used a 1/2 day safari experience for me to learn more about how to get the most out of my photo equipment in both landscape and close up situations involving natural movment of animals in the wild. Photographing jumping springbok and photo closeups in the tundra often present blurring and/or contrast issues...and James helped me to more fully understand camera settings to address each. In BoKaap, I learned more about using angles for dramatic landscape shots...and we JUST PLAIN HAD FUN photographing the sweet S. African Penquins @ the Boulders. Such endearing little creatures. While in India and on Botswana safari, I found myself hearing James' voice and after the fact, I found that the tutalage had been so valuable to my experience there. Now, I have a new friend in Capetown and I would recommend to anyone that time spent with James will, not only, enhance one's photography skills, but also, cement a new and valuable friendship with a very nice person, indeed.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I had the pleasure meeting James in December 2011 and spent the morning photographing beautiful landscape and portraiture subjects. James extensive experience and passion for photography made our time spent together one of my favorite memories. James is very accommodating – working with beginners, hobbyist and professional photographers.

I personally was looking for someone who knew the ropes of Cape Town and for someone who I could spend time with shooting. James over exceeded my expectations, as he was very helpful when discussing manual settings and various other functional settings. James brought me to beautiful locations for sunrise pictures and also portraiture opportunities – all opportunities I would not have seen if it were not for him. He also sent me home with some very helpful manual setting tips!

James was very spirited when it came to photography. With his affable personality, you realized instantly he is well educated in his field and has a strong passion for photography.

For anyone interested in learning photography or just looking for a travel companion to go shooting with who knows the best spots, I HIGHLY recommend James. Because of James, I have some beautiful photography that will make its way into my portfolio.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

On a day off during a recent business trip I hired photographer/ naturalist/ tour guide James Gradwell to take me around the Cape Town area. It was like an intensive one on one photography class that used one of the most beautiful areas of the world as it's classroom. James asked about my interests in photography and the area, and then suggested a custom itinerary that started at 5:15 am for sunrise on Signal Hill (some of my favorite photos ever), followed by an incredible range of urban and wild landscapes. We concluded at sunset, shooting long exposures back toward Table Mountain. The cost was roughly $350 U.S. for 10 hours of James' time, expertise and his car. (There was a break in the middle of the day to recuperate). James is relentlessly energetic and enthusiastic, with specific ideas about where to go, what to shoot, and techniques to try, but never pushy about it. He was also very generous with his time, encouraging me to shoot whatever interested me, even past the nominal end of the day. It was a great way to see and learn about about the area, while deepening my photography skills -all without worrying about the logistics. (Incidentally, on a previous trip to Cape Town, James wasn't available on the day I had free, but set me up with a friend named David Todd who was also fantastic and a great guy).