“Excellent service, Great Tempura!”
Review of Kyoto Garden Sushi

Kyoto Garden Sushi
Ranked #223 of 1,196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: http://maps.google.co.za/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=kyoto+garden+sushi+cape+town&fb=1&gl=za&hq=kyoto+garden+sushi&hnear=Cape+Town&cid=108047996560887617
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife and I walked to Kyoto Garden, from our guesthouse, for a nice light sushi dinner. We were very happy with the attentive and friendly service. We ate our fill of soup, sashimi, and wine but we couldn't resist trying the tempura. We were not disappointed. We were served a mix of tempura prawns and veggies and it was unlike any tempura we have had, it is very light and flavourful; not heavy like a lot of tempura batters. We were then pleasantly surprised to receive a complimentary drink to finish off our night, a very classy and nice touch that will help us remember our time at Kyoto Garden. It was one of our more expensive meals in Cape Town.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

What an experience! We are planning a trip to Japan next year and are trying out the restaurants in Cape Town as part of out preparations. Well, I must confess! If the food in Japan is anything like the dinner we had last night, I cannot wait to go! The evening began with an interesting selection of sake based cocktails. We started with a platter of Chef's Creation of shasimi and rolls supplemented with North Northwest rolls which were excellent. The mains were fabulous with three methods of preparation on the table: the steamed fish were very delicate with a tasty rice basis, the seared tuna was done perfectly and my lemon cured Norwegian salmon with king crab and scallop was fabulous!
The service was good and we had a great dinner. I can recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had such a wonderful meal at Kyoto Sushi Garden! We asked the owner to choose and bring us a selection of his recommendations. We were treated to a diverse selection of plates...from tree mushrooms, the freshest sushi, crab salad, linefish ceviche, and the best tuna tartar imaginable. Everything we ate was fresh and fabulous; the service was excellent and charming; and whilst this is an expensive night out; it is excellent value considering the quality!

1  Thank Kate L
Reviewed September 19, 2013

After reading all the reviews I was expecting an amazing experience at Kyoto, what a nasty experience awaited us! Firstly, their is zero ambience in the restaurant, secondly, the prices are exhorbant for what you are getting, uh, not much! Wine by the glass is half a glass of wine at around R45/R50! I ordered a japanese curry (?) which comprised of around three tablespoons of rice, 4 blocks of tofu, 4 asparagus spears and a light sauce drizzled over it!!!!!!!! I ordered a starter of mushrooms which I added to the curry to try and make it substantial enough so I wouldn't go home hungry, this set me back over R150! My husband ordered steamed fish which was exactly that. It came with nothing, anything extra had to be ordered at around R50 a portion. I'm a foodie and eat out in and around Cape Town a fair deal and this was the most ridiculously overpriced, boring meal we've ever had. Capetonians, you are being ripped off, why you let it happen I am not sure. If the meal had been amazing I wouldn't even have mentioned the price but really, the owner is having a good laugh!! I will never go back, what a rip-off. I have never felt so negative about a dining experience as I did at Kyoto.

1  Thank SammyKim
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A menu to investigate and hard to choose from, such an enticing and interesting selection. We had a basket of steamed crayfish and crab with delicate dipping sauces as well as perfectly presented sushi choice laid on thinly rolled rice [not the great globs one usually comes across]
The owner, was charming and informative both about the choices and later the excellent selection of Japanese whiskies.
So worth a visit. Part of the activity hub around Kloof Street, an easy walk to the hip and happening scene or a grown up night cap at the Planet Bar at the Mt. Nelson - a never fail favourite.